Author Topic: yesterday's blizzard  (Read 2518 times)

Offline Mitchee

• Oshkosh, WI
    • View Profile
yesterday's blizzard
« on: December 10, 2009, 03:29:49 PM »
Yesterday most of the midwest experienced significant snowfall.  Wisconsin got anywhere from 14 to 24 inches of the lovely white stuff.  We got 17 inches of snow at our house.  Yesterday was the snowiest 24 hour period in 121 years.  We have 4-6 foot snow drifts in the backyard.  I also had to remove snow from the roof.  It is nice and sunny outside today but it is bitter cold and very windy which is causing the snow to blow and drift.  It is 1 degree fahrenheit and with the windchill it is 15 degrees below zero.  Brrr.  I keep asking myself... why do I live here?  LOL    ;D             

Here is what our house looks like after yesterday's blizzard.

Maizy loves the snow a lot more than I do.   :)

Initial injury:  July 1985
Amputation:  December 2006 - Ertl LBKA

"The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."
 -Lao Tzu

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: yesterday's blizzard
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 06:16:07 PM »
you can have it, was raised in the noth east couner of WYOMING, so i know first hand what it is like, been cold down here but now snow, they got it south and to the north of us, and also spent three years in centeral SOUTH DAKOTA, and can really remember the winter of 1949 and we had six to eight foot drifts in our back yard that year.
you-all have a great day.

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 09:23:29 PM »
Hi Michelle - we did not get quite as much snow in NH although we had well over a foot of extremely heavy snow. It was hard to shovel and plow. When I walked in it to do chores I kept losing suction in my leg because I couldn't swing my leg through the snow. It has been windy today and is very cold tonight. I am glad to be inside sitting by a hot fire having a glass of wine. Herb

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 01:10:59 AM »
Hat's off to all you folks up to your butts in snow.  Ours will come later, I suppose.  So far in Philly, we've had just a dusting - about 3" at our home a few days ago.

It's pretty, but not my favorite season in my old age.  It doesn't take much snow to send my crutches slipping and sliding.
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 08:03:24 AM »
Out of curiosity, how does the cold affect your 'short leg'? I find that when wearing my old leg with all the extra layers that the cold isn't a worry. With my new leg (I'm still getting used to) it can get a little cold at times as the liner is very thin but then we wouldn't get the serious cold that a blizzard brings. 
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 10:59:07 AM »
Steve, if that carbon fiber socket gets cold, katty bar the door, on me i start getting zingers and bad and have to go  in and warm up the socket and if it is cold no matter how many sock you have on it hurts, my liners seem to stay somewhat warm all the time.
you-all have a great day.

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 02:10:43 PM »
My family in Buffalo NY got over 12 inches of snow...But  they are very use to it!

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 03:45:04 PM »
Here in southern ohio, we had the wind & pouring rain...afew snow flakes.  We don't get much snow. {at least most of the time}   Would love a nice white Christmas.  Love to see the lights on snow...never will forget coming home from the hospital after amputation in the snow.  Of course I wasn't in it; only to come into the house.  In fact that's probably the last big snow we have had.  :)

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 06:43:11 PM »
Hi Steve - I keep my "short leg" leg warmer in very cold weather by wearing very heavy weight long underwear. I cut them off about  6 inches longer than my socket. It helps a lot. Herb

Offline guzzitx

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 09:29:17 PM »
We had our usual, every 3 or 4 year dusting on Tuesday.
Heavier than usual, actually tossed a few snowballs.
It was all gone the next afternoon.
Nero was lovin it.

Offline Mitchee

• Oshkosh, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 04:21:29 PM »
Hi Steve.  I find that if I am active (shoveling, running the snowblower, walking the dog, skiing, etc.) that my residual limb doesn't get cold.  If I am sitting outside in the cold (at a Packers game) my residual limb tends to get cold.  I also wear long underwear over my socket.  It seems to help.  If I'm at a football game, I will also drape a blanket around it. 

Michelle
Initial injury:  July 1985
Amputation:  December 2006 - Ertl LBKA

"The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."
 -Lao Tzu

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2009, 07:48:36 PM »
I live in Northeast  Albany NY and we managed to duck it! No snow at all phew!

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2009, 07:51:04 PM »
Out of curiosity, how does the cold affect your 'short leg'? I find that when wearing my old leg with all the extra layers that the cold isn't a worry. With my new leg (I'm still getting used to) it can get a little cold at times as the liner is very thin but then we wouldn't get the serious cold that a blizzard brings. 

I love the "short Leg" LOL....My short leg actually  shrinks down and I can "feel" my toes they "feel" cold..

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2009, 01:07:15 PM »
We got 16 to 18 inches of snow Saturday night, biggest snaowfall of the season so far.  We dug out Sunday AM.

I have gel liners and some added socks, so my stumps (or "short legs") stay nice and warm.

My wife complaims of cold feet walking in the snow.  I just smile and say "No problem for me,"  My prostheses don't feel the cold.  :)   :)
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2009, 08:44:49 PM »
Hi Dick - my missing foot often gets cold when I am out in cold weather. Happy Holidays to all. Hope everyone has a happy, healthy new year. Herb