Author Topic: how do you fell about your looks  (Read 6524 times)

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: how do you fell about your looks
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2008, 06:48:20 PM »
Now i would like your permission to print your answer

Fill ya boots...

Offline Budsmom

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2008, 11:27:21 PM »
I am RAKA and I never wear a cover.  I find them to bulky and it intervines with the setup the proths do on the knee. When a cover is new  it takes a very long time for the foam to loosen up so the knee can kick easily.  My proth man adjusted the knee before the foam was put on.  After that the leg was straight for a long time. I dont care who is doing the leg you can't adjust it properly after foam is on. Another thing the knee will eat  the foam from bending and the ground up foam turns to sand like stuff and gets in the knee screwing it  up.

Offline King Rocky

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2008, 07:45:08 AM »
Permission granted, if it will help another soul - that's why we are here isn't it?
To learn and to share ...

Rather than passing the folder (in a hard copy format) to amputees and to the rest here who are requesting for it, why not request Michael or Gary to keep it online ... i know there are other things here on the front page for new amputees like exercises, diets, etc. 
Perhaps, there could be one called OVERCOMING MENTAL BLOCK or FACING LIFE'S CHALLENGES or something like that ... and post it there.  So all of us could refer this site to anyone who might benefit from reading it?

King Rocky
aka - Jan. '06
"Significant times in life are NOT ALWAYS significant, when we are going through it" -  Rajan '98

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2008, 08:40:40 AM »
The reason for a folder is even in this day of electronic communication i have found quite a few amputees that do not have a computer and some don't even want one, this way if your or their computer crashes they will have a hard copy of all the information that i am putting in there.

Rocky, that is a great idea, for new amps that show up and register on here and become members, but the most of the information is for the local area and what kind of support that is available here.

P.S. man i love that speel check
you-all have a great day.

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2008, 05:13:18 PM »
Jack:

Point well taken,  I think having hard copies to pass out is important.  Most people, even if they have computers at home, won't have 'em while in the hospital immediately after (or before) amputation surgery.

It would be good to hand 'em one while we visit.  That way they'll have something to read while lying there, waiting for the next tray of (ahem) delicious hospital food.

But you don't have to print these for us.  Let's a section here called "Printed Resources" where you can post your folder.  From these we can print off as many copies as we need. 

This way, you can revise or update whenever you want, and we'll get the latest edition.

Also, other resources could be posted in this section, that members can print off when needed.

Gotta be careful of copyright issues, so be careful what we reprint.  But any of our own ramblings that we post here are "free for the pickin'", eh?. 

I could imagine travel tips, or tips for managing around the house, or whatever....
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline King Rocky

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2008, 09:10:56 PM »
Yes, yes, yes ... that's what I meant - but didn't get my point across very well!
So one person doesn't have to print off tons of copy for everyone else ... if it is available online, we could take what we wanted as per our local need.

I for one didn't even thinking of checking on the website - it all happened too quick and my mind was not stable at that time - not that it is now :-)
Otherwise, I could have talked with my doctor about having a through knee amputation, rather than 9 inches above!  Makes A Difference (MAD).

King Rocky
aka - Jan. '06
"Significant times in life are NOT ALWAYS significant, when we are going through it" -  Rajan '98

Offline Fi

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2008, 07:40:50 AM »
Hello,

Sorry for coming to this late.

Last week I managed in true clumsy me style to trip over a step, bang my head on the side of a toilet, and give myself a cut just below my eyebrow, a black eye, and mild concussion. Normally I would giggle about it and just get on with things but this time the fall really shook me up because I am getting married next Friday and for obvious reasons I didn't want to look like a beaten wife on my wedding day!

It is nearly better now and even the scab from the cut under the eye is slowly peeling off so I am fairly sure I will be restored to a picture of beauty by the time I get married but the whole experience reminded me a bit of how I felt when I first lost my leg. One minute there you are going about your normal life, and the next, in just a split second, something happens to turn everything upside down. And there is nothing that you can do about it. And you look at yourself in your altered state and don't think that you are ever going to find yourself attractive again. And then you get used to the way you look, and gradually, you accept it, and recover, and there you are. You have accepted it and you see yourself in pretty much the same way as you saw yourself before. Even if the outside isn't the same as it was the inside is and that is the most important people. And anyone that matters to you can see that too. Those who can't aren't worth wasting your time thinking about.

It's wierd though, that split second change. And it does take time to get over. Now when I look at myself in the mirror I see myself as who I am - a 30 year old blond (dyed, of course), with a decent figure and a prettyish face, and, if I am wearing my leg that looks like a leg, two fairly good legs.

That's how I see myself.

F x

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2008, 08:39:31 AM »
FI, its is better to be late than never, anyhow thats what is was always told.

Sorry to here about you going down, you must of looked a site.

congrats on next friday, i see that you are finally going to get it done, your story and what has happened to you has really help me by just reading it and it was still on the site the last time i looked.

SO HAVE A GREAT DAY FRIDAY AND MAY BOTH OF YOU BE HAPPY FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFES.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2008, 12:52:32 PM »
congratulation Fi

I second what pegleg has said....may you and hubby to be have a wonderful wedding and happy the rest of your lives.  I am sure no matter what you look like he won't care.  I am sure you will be gorgeous in his eyes.   ;)

I also fell down the steps into the garage & hurt my good foot...it sure is swelling alot...am going tomorrow and have it x-rayed...knowing me, probably broke some little bone in it.

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2008, 04:55:33 PM »
Fi- 
Sorry to hear about your fall. I haven't had a good for awhile (knock on wood) but its coming. My most memorable is also in the toilet but in a pub. Never try and pee standing up on crutches without a prosthetic on, on a wet floor in a pub toilet. I still tell myself I slipped on water.

Secondly, congrats on the nuptials! I can only imagine my invitation is caught up in the post  ;D. Enjoy your wedding day, and the rest of your lives.

Now, how do I feel about my looks? In regards to my leg I really don't care. I wear shorts (with a cosmetic cover on the leg) when its warm. I've worn legs without the cover as well. If I were to go to a social gathering or a first date, I'd be more worried about my crooked teeth, wrinkles, telling stupid jokes, forgetting peoples names or even the occasional fart, rather then my leg.
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline Sparky

• Derbyshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2008, 07:54:57 PM »
Hello,

Now when I look at myself in the mirror I see myself as who I am - a 30 year old blond (dyed, of course), with a decent figure and a prettyish face, and, if I am wearing my leg that looks like a leg, two fairly good legs.

Fi, sorry to hear about your fall, something I have done... yet. Congrats on your wedding.

My wife has asked if she can borrow your mirror :)

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2008, 09:44:32 PM »
Fi and Ann:

You ladies are hard on yourselves - falling and all.  Hope you both recover fully.  Fi, congrats on the wedding day - hoping you both have a wonderful marriage together.  If you are as wonderful a wife as I have, the lucky man won't care if you have a bump or two.

Ah.....to be young again.  I just turned 70 and we've been married 45 years - and it's getting better all the time.   :)
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2008, 12:08:42 PM »

:)  Dick, isn't it good to have a wonderful marriage?  We also have been married 45 years in October.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2008, 04:35:12 PM »
Ann, our 45 is on the 27 OCTOBER this year, what day is yours?

Offline pyourke

• BAK - Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2008, 03:23:24 PM »
Congratulations Fi on your upcoming marriage. I hope that it goes without a hitch and you and your future husband be as happy as my wonderful wife and I who'll be celebrating our 43rd anniversary in April!
... Peter
Peter
BAK since '74