Author Topic: Another New Blessing  (Read 2284 times)

Offline Joe A.

• Malama Pono
    • View Profile
Another New Blessing
« on: November 06, 2009, 02:13:05 PM »
A little known side effect of Diabetes is a thing called, "Spontaneous Blistering". Every thing will be going along well when you suddenly notice a small blister. Usually it will be on a toe. For me it showed up on two fingertips. This can happen regardless of your glucose levels.

Within about 48 hours the  blistered area becomes infected. Then your BG's shoot through the roof. Skin begins to fall off along with meat until the bone is denuded.

The surgeon took one look at my finger and said, this part is dead, this part will be dead tomorrow. If we cut you here we may have a chance of saving your hand.

And so it was. Just like that. Two surgeries two days apart. Very quick neat and painless. The first had me in a twilight state from Ketermine. For the second I was further under with Propofol.

I think this may lend credence to Allens assertions regarding the use of local anesthetics. The only pain i have is from the swelling due to the infection.
I have some pictures but may be to rough for mixed company. If you would like to see then just send me an e-mail.

My therapist has arrived so I must be off liken a prom gown. See you soon
Private discussions regardless of topic are welcome by writing to kapunui@windstream.com

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
Re: Another New Blessing
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 02:44:02 PM »
Hi Joe - sorry to hear you are having medical problems. I always blame mine on something other that the aging process. This year I spent months fighting an infection on the end of my residual leg that was unresponsive to antibiotics and took two surgeries to get rid of. Hope your recovery is problem free and quick. Herb

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 02:46:57 PM »
Hi, Joe:

Good to hear from you, but not good to hear your news about your fingers.  Gotta admit, that's one of the side "benefits" of diabetes I'd just as soon dodge as long as possible.

I don't know what we're gonna do with you, buddy.  You're doing your damnedest to keep the medical profession busy, eh?  

Seriously, I hope all goes well for you, and we keep the rest of you intact.

I'm another one who keeps the medical folks busy.  Currently I'm working on a dental implant - first for me.  So far, old tooth extracted (in pieces) and bone material added to build up area for implant, and waiting for that to bond in.  If that goes well, then we proceed with the implanting process.  More on that later.

Ain't getting old and falling apart fun?  NOT!  But, we survive, one step at a time.  Nothing as exciting as the "medical adventures" of 8-9 years ago, thank God.

As always, wishing you the very best.
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 05:49:37 AM »
So sorry to hear about your problems with the diabetes! Its not fair to say the least. I hope you get on the mend soon!

And sorry to hear abut your dental adventures Dick. Every time I hear the whirl of the dentist drill I picture myself as Dustin Hoffman in 'Marathon Man' and hearing Laurence Olivier (the dentist) say..."Is it safe?"

Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 09:57:01 AM »
Ahh  Joe, you are really something.  Wondered what you had been up to & now the rest of the story.  Get well quickly!!   Is this caused from burning your hand  earlier this year??

Offline Joe A.

• Malama Pono
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 08:36:18 AM »
No Ann, this is not a burn at all. I never thought having a finger amputation would be that big a bother but it's a real pain. I have about 5 more weeks of home IV therapy. That kind of tears you up as well. Then the drugs are all so depressing. I have to say that my family has been far more swupportive tha
Private discussions regardless of topic are welcome by writing to kapunui@windstream.com

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 10:30:40 AM »
Joe, it sure looks like we are going to have to put you in a eviromential glass gage, if we are going to keep you well. LOL
you-all have a great day.

Offline Joe A.

• Malama Pono
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 04:07:57 PM »
At the surgeons again this afternoon. He said the amputation site looks fine but there is no doubt and no hope for any recovery. To demonstrate he had me hold out my good hand palm down. He pointed out the area between the thumb and the index finger noting how it was nothing more than a web of skin. He said, "Remember not long ago this was full of muscle". He pointed out that my calf's were once 19 inches and are now barely 13. I'm withering away. If I knew what was coming I could prepare for it. Or at least if I knew when

All the doctors say is to enjoy the time you have..

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 06:00:43 PM »
At the surgeons again this afternoon. He said the amputation site looks fine but there is no doubt and no hope for any recovery. To demonstrate he had me hold out my good hand palm down. He pointed out the area between the thumb and the index finger noting how it was nothing more than a web of skin. He said, "Remember not long ago this was full of muscle". He pointed out that my calf's were once 19 inches and are now barely 13. I'm withering away. If I knew what was coming I could prepare for it. Or at least if I knew when

All the doctors say is to enjoy the time you have..

Joe,
Is the diabetes causing your problems?  And your sugar levels are in range?  You just tell the doctors to bug-off....you have plenty of time!!  You just need some up-beat vibes.....