Author Topic: 10-year-old disabled girl suffers benefits penalty for doing well  (Read 3493 times)

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 07:01:47 AM by Steve C »
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
Re: 10-year-old disabled girl suffers benefits penalty for doing well
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 09:04:27 AM »
Hi Steve - sounds like the mother's biggest worry is that she might have to start working. It is hard to believe that a little girl with a prosthesis could not get into a subcompact car while wearing her prosthesis. The school bus would surely have plenty of room. I know plenty of big AK amputees, including myself who drive small cars while wearing our prosthetic legs. There are parts available for car seats that will allow a front seat to slide all the way back to the rear seat to make more room in front. The mom may be exaggerating her situation so she does not have to work. Herb

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 09:46:50 AM »
I am sorry this little girl was born with part of her leg missing but I agree with Herb...there is no reason why whe can't ride the bus...{am sure they have buses with handicap access}.

Mom sure looks healthy enough to work...and everyone has several doctor appts.  Moma is using the system.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 10:08:52 AM »
Ann and Herb, soory but have to disagree with both of you on this, have had it happen to me only with my VA compansation was at 20% on my hearing and had to have the plastic drain tube placed in my ear drums to drain the water out from behind my ear drums, well that improved my hear and even thought they are TEMPORARY, the va found out about them and has cut my compansation by 10%, even thought when the tubes come out i will go back to the hearing lose i had before. an now i am havinto fight it and it is taking for ever, cause the people that are handling my appeal are not medically trained persons

This is a story of just what a goverment run health care can become, would almost bet a month of my socal security that the person making the decission had no medical background what so ever.

Now for the school buses, from what i have seen down here none of them are set up to accomodate a handicaped person, they have to run a special bus for that person, and have either one of you tried to get on a public bus with your leg or legs on., Well i have and even with the so called handicap equipment on there is  a big pain in the backsides and then the room between the seats is not enough to set straight, you have to sit sideways and take up the room for two persons and they dont like you doing that on mosts city run buses.

As for needing a special car, that i dont go along with, cause i drive my own car and have no trouble and am a bilaterial bka. and have ridden in other cars in the passinger seat and have had no problem, unless the have one of those real small car that are made over there. but a regular sized car she should have now problem at all.
you-all have a great day.

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 02:21:09 PM »
Steve:

Where is the little girl's prosthesis?  In the photo, she doesn't appear to be wearing one.  Does the pros articulate at the "knee" so that Devon could sit normally in a car seat?  Hopefully, she could sit in the front seat next to the driver, since many smaller cars have very little legroom in the back.

As Ann and Hetb say. it would appear she could fit into a compact or mid-sized car - or a school bus, if she can climb the high step of a bus.  (I realize that cars in the UK are smaller than typical US cars.  A mid-sized in UK might = a compact in US.)  Even so, I would think a child Devon's size should fit.

Even with dr's appointments, couldn't the mother work at least part-time?

On the other hand -- bureaucrats can be remarkably impractical and/or insensitive.  Couldn't a part-time job for mother and a partial disability payment do the trick?  I'm not criticizing the UK system - indeed the US system is at least as screwy if not more so.)

I comend the child for being as determined and spunky as she is.  Let's hope the mother would be likewise.
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 07:15:18 PM »
I agree Ann, I myself had a deformed leg and I did most things. My parents encourage me not discourage me. It was a challenge yes. but I think this child's biggest handicap is her mom.

Offline Robogirl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 10:15:52 PM »
What a bunch of boloney!   ::)   Mom is this girls biggest disability. 
"The race does not always go to the swift, but often to those who keep on running."

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 06:47:04 AM »
Some parents imped children more by not encourging them to try and holding them back. Giving a child confidence and encourgments with a disabilty is most important. Allowing them to try and do things. If a parent babies a child and tells them they are not capable the child becomes  unsure of themselves. Surley this child is more than capable. The mother is holdong her back. Maybe this mother should teach the kid that people WORK too and get a job!

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 11:57:49 AM »
Snowbear and others:

Gotta agree with you on this one.  Go to WORK, Mom!

In the long run, I think the Disability agency will do both mother and daughter a favor by saying no more gravy train.

By all means, help the child wherever she truly needs it, but let Mom know it's time to get off her tush and go get a job.

Letting the girl be as independent as she is able is the way to go.  At age ten, she looks like she'd be the resourceful type, eh?

If they have school bus where she lives, let her ride it.  (If the step is too high, let the bus carry a step-stool if necessary.) Chances are, she'd rather be like the other kids, and ride the same bus they do, right?

Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline tbrbeast

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 05:42:38 PM »
Hmmm.  I think maybe we are a bit hasty in rushing to judgment.  Although I tend to agree that the mother potentially could do more and there may be other options for the girl, it appears to me that perhaps there is some information missing from the article.  We are using US standards, ideas, practices and assumptions to judge something in another another culture (albeit similar).  We don't have all the information about the daughter's condition.  I am curious to hear what our compatriots in the UK say about this before I finalize my opinion one way or the other.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 06:00:30 PM »

Steve, your views on this!!!

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 06:38:16 PM »
I don't know her mothers circumstances in regards to work. If she is living in a area hard hit by the recession then jobs may be hard to come by. I know a good few people locally that just can't find work and are having to leave Ireland to do so. Maybe she is going through the same type of thing. I don't know.

She seems to raising the child well as the little girl is doing so well. So I can't fault her there.

As far as having the benefits cut, it does seem harsh. It is almost seems like a punishment for doing well. It should be their financial status that keeps or removes the benefit.
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline Robogirl

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 04:00:27 PM »
The argument that she can not work because of all the extra care her daughter needs is a real stretch....especially since she is doing so well. What in the world extra would she need to do for her besides normal child care? I was an amputee as a child and nothing kept me down, whether I was wearing my prosthesis or not!  And saying she needs a larger car to "fit" her daughter and her leg into is also a very weak argument.  Assuming the knee bends, how hard can it be for such a little thing fit the leg in a normal size car??? Really!  I'm sure the mom has enjoyed staying home with her child and collecting the grant money, but I don't think it's right that she do so at the taxpayer's expense.  Now if we were talking about a child confined to a wheelchair and needing special medical treatment on a regular basis and a specially equipped vehicle it would be a whole different story...in my opinion.  :)
"The race does not always go to the swift, but often to those who keep on running."

Offline stinker373

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2009, 12:00:07 PM »
There seems to be something that is not clear and that is to weather or not she had a knee on the proth at all.  It says her knee is joined at her hip and from looking at her foot I fail to see how they can put a joint where it should be at the knee.  Her foot is at the same level as her other leg.  If they made her a proth that is straight from the hip to where  the foot should be then I see her having a problem getting in cars big time.  If you know anyoone that has had a fused knee then you know what I am talking about.  They don't say anything  about the proth or even a pic of it to show the true story.

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2009, 04:32:43 PM »
It's hard to tell from the picture.  The girl looks rather tiny for a 10-year-old ... unless mother is exceptionally tall, and/or the photo isn't a current one.  Unfortinately, the child isn't wearing her prosth, so we can't tell what kind she has.  It strikes me that a simple mechanical knee joint would be in order.  Possibly one that could be transferred from leg to leg as the girl grows.

If she is as petite as she looks, that could be an advantage when trying to get in and out of a car.  Now, when she gets older and bigger, that could be more of an issue.

Again, I say let this girl get her prosthesis, the proper training, and let her be as independent as possible!  Most kids like to be like the other kids as much as possible.  I bet if the other kids ride a school bus, she'd probably want to be able to ride the bus with them, right?

And as she approaches adolescence, that desire for independence will be even greater.  Give her free range, mom, and let her be all that she can be.    :)     :)
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA