Author Topic: Amputee plays in professional football (soccer) match  (Read 1227 times)

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
Amputee plays in professional football (soccer) match
« on: November 09, 2009, 04:52:45 PM »
La Liga - One-handed player makes historic appearance

Eurosport - Mon, 09 Nov 11:33:00 2009

Young striker Alex Sanchez made a bit of history as he came on as a late substitute in Real Zaragoza's defeat at Valencia.
Zaragoza were already 3-1 down, but Sanchez's introduction was remarkable because he became the first player with a disability to play football in the Spanish league.
The appearance of the 20-year-old, who was born without his right hand, is even more of a fairytale as just two years ago he was playing amateur football.
Sanchez was spotted playing for the University of Zaragoza team, where he is currently into his third year of studying law.
On the verge of quitting the game completely to concentrate on his studies, Sanchez's coach convinced him to continue, and his rapid rise up five divisions to the top flight culminated in him replacing midfielder Lafita for the final quarter of an hour at the Mestalla on Sunday.
The forward, who also has ambitions to study political science, modestly said recently: "I do not think playing football as I do has too much merit. There are other things that are more important."
On Sunday Sanchez proved he is just as skilled as his team-mates in at least some aspects of the game - he received a yellow card for a dive in the Valencia penalty area.
Eurosport

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/09112009/58/la-liga-handed-player-makes-historic-appearance.html

Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.