Author Topic: Waiting times  (Read 1983 times)

Offline chrysochloridae

• View Profile
Waiting times
« on: September 21, 2009, 05:53:34 PM »
I was just wondering a general question,

The way that the NHS seems to be going is that the amputee population is going up, but the number of prosthetists and the amount of money they have to spend seems to be going down...

How long does everyone think is an acceptable waiting time for the following
1) Emergency Repair (i.e. if a part has broken)
2) Time from Casting to Check socket
3) Casting to eventual delivery of the leg/socket

I know its not a direct 'prosthetics' question, but i don't always feel that people are honest with me when i ask directly! I know that i will get an honest answer from you guys  ;)

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: Waiting times
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 06:05:14 PM »
1) same day if at all possible depending upon what's wrong obviously
2) & 3) in an ideal world, this could all be done the same week... but clearly NHS centres can't deal with that, so getting back to the question and saying what I think is 'acceptable'... considering everything... maximums... I reckon 2) is 2 weeks... and 3) is 4 weeks.

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 01:06:49 AM »
Well.  Whadda-ya-know!

The waiting times that OBL reports for the NHS in the UK are very similar to my experience here in PA in the US.  Quite reasonable, I would say.

So much for the ficticious horror-stories that opponents of healthcare reform here in the US tell about residents of UK having to wait forever for all their healthcare.  Scare-tactics to be sure.

It's refreshing to near a real UK resident setting the story straight.  Thanks, OBL.

Time is ripe for real Healthcare Reform in US.  Let us take the best from the UK and Canada and France and other countires- as well as the best from our US system --- and the create the best healthcare system on the planet.

Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline Annie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 09:29:45 AM »

1) If I had a spare limb I could wear then probably be happy to wait a week, if I didn't have a spare then probably hope for the same or next day
2) I have had this done in about a week/ten days and think thats ok (although it very much depends on whether what I was currently wearing was comfortable)
3) In an ideal world, a couple of weeks would be nice, (I have in the past had to wait about 4 months which I think is totally unacceptable) so probably about 4 weeks would be ok.  However, think I'd rather them get it right and take it home with it fitting ok even if that takes an extra fitting session than get it quickly, not fitting and keep having to go back for adjustments.

Offline Robogirl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 09:04:58 PM »
Do you think maybe it depends on where in the UK you live? There is a man fro the UK currently at my limb center here in the U.S. self-paying for a leg because he gave up on getting one through NHS.  He had to wait 18 months for an appt. to measure for a replacement prosthesis, then was told it would be a couple more weeks before test socket would be ready.  11 weeks later he was still waiting. He also asked about a replacement knee (hadn't received new one in over 10 years and current one was donated and is not in good condition), and was told that is another department and he'd have to make a separate appt. for that!?  Needless to say, he gave up and made arrangements to self-pay and get what he wants now (his daughter is here in the states, so that makes it easier).  He does say that emergency healthcare in the UK is Excellent.   Perhaps he's in one of those areas where there is a severe shortage of prosthetists???  It's sad!   :(
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 04:00:37 PM by Robogirl »
"The race does not always go to the swift, but often to those who keep on running."

Offline Joe A.

• Malama Pono
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 10:23:32 AM »
In my personal experience you will get what you're willing to settle for.
Private discussions regardless of topic are welcome by writing to kapunui@windstream.com

Offline Jeff Jester

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 12:39:39 AM »
The waiting times seem excessive to me. I have never had to wait on a leg. The last time (Dec 08) was the first time in 13 years that i had a check socket made. After the check was confirmed the new socket was ready the next day. All the legs I have had made for me since I became a amp in 94, except for the first year, were built in a couple of days max. As my stump has not changed since the first eight months as an amp, I just email my request and what components I want and the date I will be in town. When I get there the leg is ready to go. A few adjustments and I wear it out, usually stay around town for a week to make sure there are no problems and then it is back to my home. I have what I think is very good prosthetist who from the first day has given me nothing but his 100% effort. That is why I am willing to fly half way around the world for his services.
My point is sometimes if possible, sacrifices have to be made to ensure a person gets a competent prosthetist who is willing to serve the customers' need. CUSTOMER being the key word. No one has to stay with someone that is dicking them around for weeks on end.

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 11:22:25 AM »
Jeff, you have been EXTREMEMLY lucky, it sounds like it's not that difficult to fit you, so the likelihood is that you don't have to fly half way around the world.
The difference is here, when it comes to waiting times, is that EVERYONE gets fitted with legs... it's not a preserve of the rich and famous, or well insured (and even the insured have problems!). Here, if you are rich and famous, you can still go private, it's not against the law!