Author Topic: News Story... Amputee has disability benefits delayed.  (Read 1733 times)

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
News Story... Amputee has disability benefits delayed.
« on: August 30, 2009, 09:03:07 AM »
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
Re: News Story... Amputee has disability benefits delayed.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 09:31:39 AM »
Hi Steve - I believe she would have been turned down in this country also. Simply being disabled does not qualify you for disability payments. I think you have to be unable to work and then wait 6 months to get on disability. Many people with disabilities are able to find work they can do as amputees or blind. During my hospitalizations I saw an amputee physical therapist and an amputee nutritionist and several employees at my prosthetist's office are amputees. As an amputee myself, I was not able to consider going on disability when I was younger because the monthly payment was so small I could not even have made a house payment. I always thought it was a little strange that I have a have a disability placard in my cars and trucks because I am an amputee but have to reapply for the permit every 5 years in case my walking disability goes away. Herb

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 02:19:26 AM »
Herb:

Same here in PA, we have to renew the parking placard every 5 years.  There's no charge, dr just has to sign the form. 

I was told the reason for renewal of all placards to avoid abuse of them.  Even when a person dies, the family may fail to turn in the placard and keep using it.  By having renewals, eventually the old placards go out of circulation.

The state also has short-term placards of a different color for short-term disabilities like a fractured leg that will heal in a few weeks or months.

Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 09:14:04 AM »
Dick, the one you are talking about for short term is red in color, and even with a renewal date on them there is a lot of abuse going on with them, have seen teenagers using thier parents card, but yes it does cut down on it by having to renew them, it cost me 5 bucks every 5 years to renew and i have two of them one that stays in the car and one i use if i go out somewhere with someone that dosent have one.
you-all have a great day.

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 09:33:17 AM »
In NY the last 6 digets of my hang tag are on my permit So if someone steals it it can be traced to me. We also have to renew them every 3 years.