Author Topic: FREEDOM?  (Read 1429 times)

Danny Y

FREEDOM?
« on: August 25, 2009, 04:09:56 PM »
About three months ago I went to my doctor to request a prescription for new liners. I've been an amputee for three years now. So one would think that this prescription would be a no-brainer since I'll need it periodically for the rest of my life. What was the response?

"Tell Mr. Yelle that he hasn't been to see me for fifteen months now. I'm either his doctor or I'm not! I won't give any prescription unless he comes in for a visit.

Okay, I go for the visit. Why? Because if I don't go, no new liners, no walk. Now I need bloodwork first, then my exam. Oh no! Blood pressure's a little high! Glucose is a little high! " Here's a prescription for blood pressure medication and here's another to lower your blood sugar." " Yes, but I only wanted new liners for my stump. Can you write me a script for my liners?" His response? "Sure, what do I write for the liner prescription?"

The bottom line here is that even though my insurance covers my new liners; I can't get them without my doctor prescribing them! It doesn't matter that he has never examined my stump, nor does he have a clue what to prescribe for liners, sockets or feet, without me first getting the info from my CP and then relaying it to him.

Now, one might think ,"Good thing the doctor made him come in for the visit because we might not have caught the other health issues!"

The point here is that whether or not I need or want to take care of other medical issues, I should still be able to get services which are paid for and covered by my insurance plan. Why should I be threatened with being a "non-compliant' patient and not getting services which my insurance policy says I'm eligible for?

Do we have freedom?
Will national health care give us more freedom of choice?
Will we be denied health services if we don't take our flu shot?
Any thoughts here?

Offline ann

• View Profile
Re: FREEDOM?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 07:44:40 PM »

I AM   glad they caught those problems....BUT sounds as if your Doctor needed some pocket change.  I don't know if it's your insurance company but I don't have to have a script for liners, just if I need a new leg.  IMHO national health care will take what "little" freedom we now have away.

And you will definitely have to take a flu shot   ;)

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 08:55:53 PM »
HEY you should of seen the paper work that we went through to get my new legs made, according to MEDICARE, no matter what you have done on your legs or what you need to order through your CPO, your doctor has to write a prescription for it no matter if they understand it or not, by the time i got my new ones made my doctor had written seven differant prescriptions to cover the work that was needed, and then MEDICARE came back and wanted a prescription written that cover the whole process agian before they would pay for my legs. and i wound up making three trips into see my PCP, to explain what was requested cause she had no idea what we were talking about. and told me that she didnt really care or had the time to study up on it.
you-all have a great day.

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 07:27:22 AM »
Hi Jack - I have had just the opposite experience since I have gotten on medicare. Getting liners and a new leg has been a breeze. Last fall medicare paid for a new c-leg which my private insurance never would have done. All I needed was a prescription. It was fast and there were no delays waiting for approval. My prosthetist faxed a copy of what was needed on the prescription to my doctor who got it right the first time and there was no visit required. That one prescription has been sufficient for to get all supplies like liners and shrinkers as I need them. My prosthetist says that medicare is better for his staff to deal with than any of the private insurance companies. Herb

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 08:34:54 AM »
Herb, am glad to see that you made it through that fast, at least we know in some places it goes fast for a person.

Now is wish that the VA would find someway to speed up our paper work.
you-all have a great day.

Offline Joe A.

• Malama Pono
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 03:37:37 PM »
There are a few factors that are effecting your mellow. The first being that you are at the mercy of a "dog" doctor. Your scrip could have been handled by a call or a fax. Liners are a dispensable item. Like any good Dog, your doctor needs a bone now and then so throw them one like once a year. Dog doctors rely on things like sugar and cholesterol to build a practice. If you have what you want then do what you wish with the scrips. The guidelines for sugars and cholesterol's are not available without taking medicine that could leave you worse off. Next time study for your blood test or find a better doctor.

Next call your insurer. Ask how to obtain dispensable items without the doctors involvement. My practitioner sends mine by way of drop ship right to my door. I pay my co-pay over the phone.

Establish a good relationship with your practitioner
Private discussions regardless of topic are welcome by writing to kapunui@windstream.com