Author Topic: PEER VISITOR RECERTIFICATION DAY  (Read 3252 times)

Offline annieg

• View Profile
Re: PEER VISITOR RECERTIFICATION DAY
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2009, 09:41:20 PM »
I would loved to have had a peer visit.  I have never even met another amputee.  If it wasn't for this site I would have no contact with other amputees.  Everything I've learned about amputation and prosthetics has been on this site.  Thank goodness for all of you.   Thanks to Michael for providing me with a place to meet all you great, helpful people.  Annieg
He who limps, still walks.

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2009, 11:34:47 AM »
Jason:

I know what you mean...trying to get amputees who want visits and peer visitors together.  I'm as frustrated as you.  You know the area we're in (eastern PA) there have to be scads of amputees, right?  And there can't be THAT many peer visitors.  But there are SOME of us, and we should be alot busier than we are.

You and I are fortunate, we know lots of amps and associate with them.  Between the LVH group, ACA, and other means, we have plenty of contact.  BUT, at the time I had my first amp, I would have appreciated a contact then.  But, being new to the game, I didn't know where to ask. (The surgeon was little help in this).

As Snowbear says, not everyone wants a peer visit, but those who do should be able to have one.
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline tbrbeast

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2009, 06:34:03 PM »
Like the others, I also never had a peer visit much less an opportunity to ask for one.  I have learned alot from this and several other sites but unfortunately, much of what I know I had to learn by doing.  There are few if any TMAs on any of the sites I am a member of (including this one) and the amp community where I live in Central Oregon is relatively invisible.  I finally meet another bilat TMA last year, 4 1/2 years after my original amputation (and he was a recent amputation - same surgeon, same hospital etc.).

I agree that peer visits (or being a peer visitor) aren't for everyone.  At the same time, if this site and the others I am familiar with are any indication, we all have questions or problems that others may be able to help with - support, advice etc.  This site, and others, are a form of a peer visit, or perhaps a continuous peer visit.  We may agree or disagree about ACA and their program but to me, the bottom line appears to be that each of us needs some type of "peer visit" on occasion.

As a side note, although I am not a bk, ak, ue or other amp and many of the discussions are of little immediate value to me, each and everyone here has provided me with a wealth of information that I may need in the future.  From that perspective, this and other forums have been a tremendous asset.  I suspect that each of us, if we take the time to sit down and think about it, would come to the same conclusion.  We are here because there are others here who understand at least some of what each of us has experienced and is going through (yes, we are all peer visitors on this site and other forums).

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2009, 08:45:37 PM »
'beast',

I totally agree with you...it always helps when talking on here to hear some of the others have already or are going through the same thing.