Author Topic: new health care bill  (Read 28614 times)

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
Re: new health care bill
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2009, 11:54:49 AM »
Hi Ann, misses you..Yes I did see FOX this morning and its the truth..I have personal friends who live in Canada they moved there after retiring and still come here to the US. Say the Canaidan health care stinks..No way should the US have it.

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2009, 02:07:16 PM »
Gotta be a little suspicious of anything that comes out of FOX news.  They appear to be the on-air arm of the Republican Party.  I wonder when FOX says one thing and every other news source, including NPR and BBC, say the opposite.

Sure, we can sit here in the US and hear selective horror-stories out of the Canada healthcare system.  But then, folks can sit in Canada and hear selective horro-stories out of the US healthcare system, right?

You have to look at who is speaking and what axe they have to grind.  Let's face it, the US medical insurance industry and the US medical profession and the US Big Pharma are enjoying almost  unlimited BIG profits.  They have a vested interest in keeping the US system exactly as it is.  They'd be stupid to shoot the Goose that's laying their golden eggs.

Keep that in mind when you hear all the horror stories supposedly coming out of Canada and the UK.
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2009, 02:24:42 PM »
FOX ia the only news I watch and trust!

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2009, 06:01:58 PM »
Snowbear:

You say: "FOX ia the only news I watch and trust!"

Your choice, of course.  But I believe that would give you a very narrow, very Right-Wing view of the world.

I choose to watch and listen to and read a variety of news sources to get a broader picture of the world affairs.

Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2009, 06:13:15 PM »
I guess we really can't trust any of them I just prefer FOX over CNN.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2009, 06:21:32 PM »
Dick,  how much have you watched Fox News?  They always give both sides when running a news story....which I appreciate.  They are the only news that will actually call Obama on the way he gets around the truth in many instances....THAT is why the Pres. does not like Fox.  JMHO  ;)

Danny Y

« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2009, 06:50:49 PM »
CNN, FOX, NBC, ABC, CBS, BBC................PROPAGANDA!!!!!!!!!!!!

People, we are on the internet! How many of us truly research exactly was is going on without relying on network news? The information is at our fingertips, if only we care to dig a little deeper!

How do CNN And BBC report that World trade center#7 had collapsed twenty minutes or so BEFORE it fell???? You can see the building in the background as BBC was reporting it had fallen! Google it! No plane hit it, hardly any fire, but it totally collapses. Who gave the script to CNN and BBC?  If you want to believe ANYTHING you see or read from mainstream media, I can't argue.

Excuse me, time to say my nightly prayers to Clinton, Bush, Blair, Brown, and Obama.

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2009, 01:26:32 AM »
Ann:

The last time I watched FOX News was during the Bush Administration.  It sounded like a propaganda piece straight out of the Bush Whitehouse.  In virtually every story they loudly praised the Bush Administration, and blamed the Democrats for every conceivable ill in the world - even in topics I wouldn't consider political.

At least in THAT program, there were no two sides to any story.  There was a single pro-Bush stance throughout the program.

I could take no more of that one-sided style, and haven't been back since.  Just MHO, your mileage may vary.
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2009, 07:07:02 AM »
Durring the elections all the news stations were bombarded us with Obama it was all one sided. And that is how the idiot got elected. People are followers and can't think for themselves..Now they are sorry they voted for the this arrogant one.

Have a good weekend! going away for the weekend.! :)

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2009, 10:27:02 AM »
Have a good one 'snowbear'

Offline Jeff Jester

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2009, 05:45:09 PM »
Canadian health care bad? When I lost my leg in Singapore, I went back to Canada and guess who supplied me with a top of the line leg? Canadian health care and that even though I had not lived in Canada for 12 years. I was able to go to one of the top sports doctors in Alberta, no cost, recieved all my rehabiltaion no cost, my leg no cost. Oh I lied, there was a cost; Alberta health care premiums I had to pay, then about $60 a month and Blue Cross about $25 a month. Does any body believe if an American had the same experience and went back to the States he would recieve the same treatment? For every horror story people hear about the Canadian system, I can find you 100 Canadians that will tell you different. Like the news, you only hear from the bad or the dissatified.
When my father had cancer, he was given top notch care and when he decided to die at home, home care as in nurses was supplied to help daily in his house. He didn't have to pay anything extra.
As for someone retiring and then moving to Canada, Should they expect free health care when they have never paid into it and are not Canadians? What right do they have to complain? Better they move back to the States and enjoy their retirement there.
Of all my friends that I keep in contact with in Canada, I have never heard any of them complain of our health care system.
I would never say the American system is bad; you know why? Because I have never lived there, so Americans should not say our system is bad if they do not live there.

Offline Genki_rockets

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2009, 06:26:23 PM »
I am really embarrassed by ignorant folks who bad mouth Canadian or British health system. Did any of them ever check WHO report on world health system ranking?  Countries like Costa Rica and Colombia provide better health care than the U.S. while spending 1/10 of what the U.S. spends.  In terms of care/$$ ratio, the U.S. ranks dead last in the world. Geez.

In the meanwhile insurance companies are making billion dollar profit & their CEOs are making millions of dollars in salary, not even including stock options. 

The saddest part of all this is that insurance companies are paying people to go to these townhall meeting and viciously attack Senators and Congressmen trying to hold meaningful discussion. 

If the reform fails, it will only hurt those who are already the most venerable.  If the reform succeed, all these insurance companies will eventually go out of business.  What do you think?  If you asked me, Obama has less than 0% chance of succeeding.  Insurance companies have billions and billions of dollars in their disposal to stop this health reform.  They can buy off every single citizen in the U.S. if they have to. 

So I mean, please.  There is no point in even arguing about this.  Out insurance companies will make sure status quo isn't disturbed.  But please stop bad mouthing other countries' health system.  It's just really embarrassing.

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2009, 12:25:51 PM »
Hi Snow - I take a few trips every year to canada and recently the conversation always turns to healthcare. I have yet to meet a single canadian that is unhappy with their system or travels to the US for care. On my last trip a met a couple from boston who retired and moved to Canada. They  love the canadian system of healthcare and told me they never have to wait for any medical service. This last winter I had an infection in my residual leg. When it got worse after taking antibiotics, my gp told me to go to the er. After a six hour wait and a few tests, they sent me home with a new antibiotic that did no good. The bill was over $2000 for a useless visit. We need a change in our system. A lot of people are afraid of change mostly due to all the lies that are being spread about the proposed changes. Did you watch NBC news last night? There was a story about the concerns that illegal aliens would be covered under the proposed legislation. They reported than that is another of the many lies being spread. It seems that the people who are opposed to the legislation can never accurately quote the articles in the legislation that deal with their fears. I doubt if the people opposed to the legislation have read a single page of the legislation. Herb
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 06:01:45 PM by herb »

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2009, 12:46:11 PM »
Thank you, Genki and Jeff:

You both said it so well.  Of course, insurance companies are working overtime to defeat any chnage in the healthcare system.  They succeeded when Clinton came into office, and they're trying again today.  Sadly, they don't have to buy off millions of Americans - they just have to buy off a majority of the Congress.  And, as you say, they have the deep pockets to do so.

There is a wee bit of hope.  There's a reason that the voters sent to Republicans packing and gave Democrats a majority in both Houses of Congress - and the Whitehouse, too.  Now, let the Democrats unite and listen to the voters, and bring some long-needed change.  I don't suppose that the propsals are perfect in every respect, BUT they sure beat doing nothing.

The amount that I pay for heathcare is outrageous:  Out-of-pocket costs + Medicare premiums (deducted from my Social Security pension + supplemental insurance premiums + co-pays.......

Oh yes, Snowbear, here is one American who is NOT unhappy that Obama got elected.  He sure beat the alternative.  I am so glad that the Bush-Cheney era is over.  But, that's another story...
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2009, 12:57:07 PM »
Herb:

My experience in Canada, too.  While vacationing in Canada (Ontario), I needed immediate care in the ER for an infected wound.  The care was immediate - and excellent.  As a visitor, I expected to pay, and not free-load off of Canadian taxpayers.  Total charge for the ER was just $35.  And the antibiotic prescription cost roughly 1/2 of what it would cost in the U.S.  The drug was manufactured in the U.S., so the same quality I would have received at home.

Sounds like a pretty good system to me.   :)   How about you?

Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA