Author Topic: new health care bill  (Read 28611 times)

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
Re: new health care bill
« Reply #150 on: December 12, 2009, 03:11:31 PM »
Ann:

You're right.  My goof, I see it was Snowbear.  Still, I believe that those who oppose Public Option (yes, option) will regret it down the road ... when private-only insurance costs continue to soar thru the roof, taking a higher and higher % of everyone's total income. 

Dunno about you, but I think having options is a good thing.
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 12, 2009, 08:18:00 PM »
Hi Dick - I agree with you 100%. I have had more of my share of bad experiences with insurance companies. Maybe some competition will help them to run their business honorably. My prosthetist says he would rather deal with medicare than any other insurance plan and he has 30 years of problems with insurance companies. Herb

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 13, 2009, 10:37:23 AM »
Don't know guys.....personally believe the Democrates are pushing it through too quick.   ;)

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 13, 2009, 10:50:27 AM »
Ann, and that is what scares the h--- out of me, why does it have to been done so fast and we dont get to use it until 2014, but yet the taxes and lose of MEDICARE ADVANTAGE comes 60 days after the bill is passed, my own opinion, something smells in denmark on this, there is some thing they are not telling us about going on.
you-all have a great day.

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 14, 2009, 02:30:14 PM »
PL Jack:

Pushing thru too quickly??  Well, not really.  Democrats have been trying since the beginning of Clinton's Presidency to get some healthcare reform -- to no avail.  The Big Pharma / Big Insurance lobbies have managed to block any reform.  And nothing happened during the Bush years, exept to further entrench the poweers of Big Pharma and Big Insurance.  Costs have soared all those years.

So now the Democrats are in office, and some progress is being made after all these years.

Pushing too quickly??  Well, I suppose that ANY progress toward reform would be "Too quickly" for Big Insurance and Big Pharma. (They're profiteering on the status quo.)  But for the rest of us, it's about time we get off our duffs and get some meaningful reform.
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 24, 2009, 10:44:55 AM »
This goes out to all of you that is on MEDICARE aand have MEDICARE ADVANTAGE, WELL itis one step closer to lossing it and a lot off other benifits that we have, they passed it this morning and now it goes back to the house to be combined with there version.

T here are some thing in it i like, but dont like what they are cutting and the main fact is that we dont get to use it for four years.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 24, 2009, 11:21:26 AM »
But of course we start paying immediately......what a bummer.  There are some good ideas, but most are for the middle class & seniors paying & paying & paying. :(

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 24, 2009, 11:43:44 AM »
Hi Ann Hi Pegleg - the benefits for the new health care bill get phased in over the next 5 years. A few start in 2010. All medicare benefits mandated by current law are unchanged. There are still a lot of people making inaccurate claims about how seniors are going to lose medicare.

Here is a link to an article that answers a few questions.

http://www.oregonlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2009/12/senate_health_reform_bill_affe.html

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 24, 2009, 09:06:45 PM »
Herb, will you please tell me why every time i turned on c-spann and listened to both democrats and republicans stating the fact the with all of the new taxes, that medicare senior advantage was being cut along with other benifits in medicare. you and others keep saying that this is not going to happen but yet i here the same thing i have stated from others that have listened to C-SPANN,  for the last week and have gotten the same thing that i have heard.

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 25, 2009, 11:08:47 AM »
Hi Jack - my understanding of medicare advantage programs are that they are managed by private insurance companies and are subsidized by the federal government. This new law is going to cut that subsidy by 14%. Herb

Offline jimmydw

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 19, 2010, 05:17:23 PM »
This bill is awful....and I am already feeling the effects of some of this already.  Well, they CLAIM that the healthcare reform won't change anything for seniors...BUT they are cutting over $500 BILLION from the budget...so, do the math and figure this out....more people enrolled, and less money to cover the costs...that DOESN'T add up!!!  It WILL definitely cut the benefits, and DME (including prosthetics...Durable Medical Equipment) is the prime candidate to be cut first and hardest.

This bill forces the now "un-insured" to go and buy insurance, making the private companies (like Anthem) grow with more customers.  This bill doesn't say anything about insurance companies having to have reasonable rates, or control THEIR increases, or their profits.  It only forces everyone to go and pay several hundred dollars a month for health insurace.

In my case, I pay over $700 every month for insurance, and thank heavens I can afford that, but it does cut into what I could buy or spend that money on (maybe part of the cause of the financial problems in this nation...when health insurance goes up, we HAVE to suck it up and pay it...and that means there is less money for a new car, or new refridgerator, or whatever.)

But what happens to the people that are FORCED to choke out $500 per month (or much MORE)???  I guess they can sell their car and go without, or not send a child to college, or pay their mortgage and go into forclosure, etc.....

I guess there's an alternative, which is to NOT have insurance and just pay the $2250 per year (for a family) to the government to NOT have insurance, and then have even less money to get the vaccines for you children, or pysicals, dental exams....etc....

Or the last alternative is to NOT pay that fine, and then go to jail....but at least in jail you have access to healthcare, and better benefits while in prison.  And, while in prison, you family can get on Medicaid.

Nice healthcare reform, huh??

Offline jimmydw

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 19, 2010, 05:37:10 PM »
One more note on the Big Pharma and what they really want, and who they are supporting, and the big insurance companies as well.

Who did the BIG PHARMA just have a fundraiser for???  Well, it was the candidate for the Senate seat in Mass.  She is the Democrat, and she was given a TON of money from them at this dinner for her campaign.  Do we see any BIG PHARMA supporting or donating money to her opponent, the Republican Candidate that says he will be the 41st vote to end this reform process??  NO!!!!  The big pharma and big insurance WANTS this reform!!!!!  They are 100% behind the Democrats that are pushing this!!!!!

HOW CAN THE PUBLIC NOT GET THIS?????

The CHIEF lobbyist for Anthem and United Healthsystems is Tom Daschle, also known as the Czar of Healthcare Reform, and he has been in EVERY close-door meeting working on this bill.

And let's look at the Max Baucus bill, the author of the Senate Finance Committe "bipartisan" bill...and it was SO bi-paritsan that not even his Democratic friends in the committee would support it or even stand beside him when he unveiled it.

Let's look at the REAL author of this bill, Max's Chief of Staff.   Her name is Liz Fowler, and who is she??  Google her, or do a look on Wikipedia.  She is the VP of External Affairs for Wellpoint/Anthem.

There are also many Anthem names that pop up in the Congressional side as well.

So, who is really pushing for "reform"????  Yes, the big insurance and BIG PHARMA industry.

If anyone can find any evidence or proof that any Big Pharma supports or backs anyone that opposes this bill (like any Republican) please let me know.  I can't find it, and I have looked.

These big industries have this administration wrapped around their fingers, and yet Obama still stands up there and says that it's the Republicans that are wanting the "Status Quo", and to protect the Big Pharma and the Big INsurance companies....and the public is buying it and BELIEVES him when he says this....

Google these names and find it for yourselves. 

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 19, 2010, 07:26:43 PM »
Different prespectives here  I've seen Big Business "in bed" with the Republicans, all along.  And that includes Big Pharma, Big Insurance, and Big Medicine, along with all the other big Fat-Cats.

Republicans have vowed to kill Healthcare Reform in any form.  They claim the present bills are so horrible, but have offered NOTHING better to replace them.  It seems their only agenda is NO reform.

I haven't seen results yet, but if that Mass Senate seat goes to the Republiocans, any hope for healthcare reform goes out the window.

Republicans wouldn't care if a majority (59 to 41) want reform, they plan to kill it with fillibuster.  With no reform:

a. Insurance companies continue to charge outrageous premiums while their fat-cat CEO's get multi-million-dollar bonuses.

b. Insurance companies exclude all pre-existing conditions.

c. Insurance cos deny coverage for costly remedies, calling them "experimental".

d. Big Pharma enjoys sky-high pricing, while Americans are dis-allowed to buy drugs in Canada.

e. Seniors on Medicare still go broke with the insideous "Donut Hole".

The only problem I see with Healthcare Reform is that's been watered-down so much, trying to placate one faction after the next.
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA