Author Topic: blister on end of stump  (Read 13083 times)

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
blister on end of stump
« on: August 01, 2009, 09:53:29 AM »
Dont know how i managed to do it, but have a massive blister  on the end of my left stump, dont know if i had too many socks on or not enough ot there is something wrong with my socket, and cant get to my CPO , until monday, and this only being sat morning here, and then of coarse good old mister phanton showed up last night a BINGO no sleep agian. Manged to get my legs on this morning but havent pulled the vacunm yet on them and not sure if i am going to do it the way my left stump feels and MR phantom and ZINGERS hitting me at the same time on the left leg, so it looks like i am going to spend the next couple of days riding my wheels, what really make me mad is that yesterday was my birthday, some present i got for it all. But have to roll with the punches and get busy and see if i can get something done today no matter what, I am far enough behind now and dont want to get any further.
you-all have a great day.

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
Re: blister on end of stump
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 10:13:10 AM »
Ouch! what a major pain. When I get a blister I use Band-Aid brand Blister advanced healing bandaides..They are very thin and work well. A little pricey but worth it..

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 01:27:16 PM »
Dont know how i managed to do it, but have a massive blister  on the end of my left stump, dont know if i had too many socks on or not enough ot there is something wrong with my socket, and cant get to my CPO , until monday, and this only being sat morning here, and then of coarse good old mister phanton showed up last night a BINGO no sleep agian. Manged to get my legs on this morning but havent pulled the vacunm yet on them and not sure if i am going to do it the way my left stump feels and MR phantom and ZINGERS hitting me at the same time on the left leg, so it looks like i am going to spend the next couple of days riding my wheels, what really make me mad is that yesterday was my birthday, some present i got for it all. But have to roll with the punches and get busy and see if i can get something done today no matter what, I am far enough behind now and dont want to get any further.

Jack, is it a blood blister?  I know one thing, they told me not to open it....well, after three days I did.  Then it healed immediately.  I would open it now and be sure to put an antibotic cream on it.  Don't walk on it much.  You probably would be better off on your wheels.  :)

Offline chrysochloridae

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 03:19:46 PM »
PLJ, usually its not wearing enough socks that cause blisters on the underside of the end of the stump, this is because your stump is smaller than the socket, and you hit the end of your stump on the bottom of your socket.

Could be a number of other things too, but the above is the most likely

I ususally make the sockets with an End Bearing Pad (EBP) which comprises of a foam pad which is shaped to the cast before it is manufactured, this reduces the chance of blisters if you bottom out of the socket as you press against a soft pad instead of a hard socket bottom if/when your stump volume reduces. I don't know if its possible to do this with the LimbLogic system though....

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 03:40:09 PM »
Being a amputee can be so complicated...to many socks, not enough socks. the socks slip or roll down, ::) UGH! Sure can be a pain the the  A**!

Offline Robogirl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 08:57:48 PM »
Jack,

Do NOT use the vacuum pump, whatever you do!  If you didn't have enough socks there was probably empty space in the socket and your vacuum system kept trying to pull you in, thus causing the blister.   Or you could have had too many socks on and not gotten all the way into the socket and been pulled into empty space that way.  Either way, you need to leave the liners off until it is healed unless it can be covered with a blister band-aid as Snow Bear suggested.  The chance of infection in an open sore in a high vacuum environment is too high. With an active vacuum system you have to be extra careful about perfect fit, as you have unfortunately found out!  Take care... and belated happy birthday to you!!!!!   
"The race does not always go to the swift, but often to those who keep on running."

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 09:14:41 PM »
How's it going Jack? I hope you feel better.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 11:04:54 AM »
I am up and walking, cant use the vac on my left leg yet, and so far havent broke the skin on the blister as of yet, have some special salve i use at night to keep it soft, and i start out with no socks and then by the end of the day i am up to about 3-4 ply on that legs, and i am watching out for any infection of any kind starting up down there, but have too much going on right now to be laid up and riding my wheels, there is not very much pain down there now, not as bad as it was the first day, so i regone i am healling up but slowly.
Have been running 15 on the vac, but am going to cut it down to around 10 and see what happens today, if i can stand it will do that for a couple of days.

Found a neat trick to keep your socks up, what i do is on my liner where you fold it over to make a tight seal i stick the edge of the sock under the fold and they stay put all day for me.

Offline naseigfried

• Me on the right with Theron, my great legman. RIP
    • View Profile
    • My MySpace page
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2009, 03:59:42 PM »
I had the same thing happen this past week. It was from not being settled in the socket. Too many socks. It just kept sucking on me until it formed the blister. Mine is infected now. I'm on antibiotics. I will go get some of those bandaids.
LBK since April 2004

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 04:39:55 PM »
I tend to add more socks too. Its a hard call sometimes. If I need them or not  Usually I know right away if its to much because I can't get in the socket or its way to tight..I feel like I'm sinking down in the socket I add a sock and it feels better for about 30 minutes or so..Then I sink more and have to add more socks..UGH! >:(

Offline Joe A.

• Malama Pono
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 05:44:46 PM »
You never want to walk on damaged skin. Try some Povidine as it will kill bacteria and lift off necrotic poo without causing damage.
Private discussions regardless of topic are welcome by writing to kapunui@windstream.com

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 09:59:46 AM »
"Neal"  so you lose vacuum when you add socks?  :)

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 10:27:05 AM »
I think the socks keep you fron shrinking? ???

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2009, 09:38:45 PM »
found out today what caused mine, in one work SWEAT, didnt stop and take my legs off and dry them out just kept at the job i was doing and the friction between my liner and stump and the water that was there caused my blister, my leg man told me to take them off twice a day now and dry my stumps and continue this until it cools off down here in TEXAS, it was up to around 100 agian today, and high humidity also.

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2009, 10:26:50 PM »
ICK sounds so very uncomfortable jack... I feel for you. :-[