Author Topic: Pegleg Jack!  (Read 2129 times)

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
Pegleg Jack!
« on: July 27, 2009, 12:44:26 PM »
I could not get my leg off this morning to add a sock. After 2 hrs of trying I finally called my leg guy. He said come in.. So i drive to see him. He pushed on the button and nothing. "its really jammed" he said He hits it with a hammer it did not budge, he said roll down your liner. So I did he gets a cup with some water and pours it down the liner. :o :o I said what the heck... ??? Watch he said...Now slip out of the leg. BINGO it comes off he was able to release it. I had a sock jam! never had this before in 6 years. So if ever your in a jam a little water goes a long way and did not damage the mechanism. ;D

Danny Y

Re: Pegleg Jack!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 05:16:06 PM »
Snowbear, funny you mention that!
Last week I was at work on a very warm day. It was break time at about 2 p.m.. My leg had been pistoning a bit from perspiration, so I went to take my leg off to dry my leg and liner as I usually do several times per day. When I pushed the button, it wasn't there!! Fortunately, my leg was so sweaty that I was able to slide it from my liner. The button had fallen off on the roof and rolled down into the rain gutter. My helper found it and I was able to continue working. Water does work to slide from the liner.

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 05:21:08 PM »
You learn something new everyday ! thanks for sharing!

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 09:27:53 AM »
YUP, it sure dose happen when i was wearing the pin/lock system i had it happen a couple of time and i was always able to get my leg off okay. now that i am on the vacumn system, have found out if i start to sweat heavy my liner will start to slip and i loose vac on it real fast and almost had one come all the way off on me, lucky i was at home when it happened.
you-all have a great day.

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 11:45:28 AM »
WOW ! Now I Know ;D

Offline SusanN366

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 02:14:45 PM »
Snowbear, funny you mention that!
Last week I was at work on a very warm day. It was break time at about 2 p.m.. My leg had been pistoning a bit from perspiration, so I went to take my leg off to dry my leg and liner as I usually do several times per day. When I pushed the button, it wasn't there!! Fortunately, my leg was so sweaty that I was able to slide it from my liner. The button had fallen off on the roof and rolled down into the rain gutter. My helper found it and I was able to continue working. Water does work to slide from the liner.

Same thing happened to me when I was in Costa Rica.  I got back to my room after visiting a large local mall and discovered the button on my leg was gone.  You'd think the humid tropical heat would make the liner slide off, but there was no way that leg would come off without a hacksaw.  I rushed back to the mall in a cab and the driver insisted on helping me scour the mall until we found the button hiding under a bench.  He wouldn't even accept a tip.  God bless Good Samaritans!
SusanN
Right AKA, 1972

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 02:49:43 PM »
WOW Susan! I have never had any problems with it, until I had a sock jam.. the hole in the sock that goes through the pin was covered with a sock...I make darn sure  sock is not in the way now. :o

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 09:32:21 AM »
That is one of the main reasons i kept a bottle of locktite and everytime my leg man had to do anything with that button, as soon as i got home i took it off and but some lock tite on it and screwed it back in good and tight, Now the only problem i have is my inside liner slipping down from sweat. Or not looking good when i first put them on and have my foot either toed in or out to much and it will sure tell you in a hurry.
you-all have a great day.

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 09:40:31 AM »
I have my button buried as my leg is cosmetically covered. So far this has been the only issue I have had. And its because my socks got jammed the sock was covering the pin. I guess I was in a hurry when I added my sock!  ;D

Offline chrysochloridae

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 01:00:32 PM »
Just wanted 2 say thanks 4 the advice PLJ, had a guy in clinic today who had his leg stuck on because the lock had jammed up. Used your technique and it worked a treat!

Good way 2 stop the sock jam is to use the Ossur iceross sock http://www.ossur.co.uk/prosthetics/liners/linersocks they are perfectly cut and shaped for liners and i've never seen anyone get a sock jam with them

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2009, 03:40:52 PM »
Yeah I learned something too! :)