Author Topic: How to beat the system & getting your liners, foot, etc. dirt cheap  (Read 9195 times)

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: How to beat the system & getting your liners, foot, etc. dirt cheap
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2009, 07:32:31 PM »
What as person drives dose not matter at  all :)

Couldn't agree more, I know rich people with old cars... it's so irrelevant and shallow to worry about the car you drive, and many people don't!
You drive a Lexus and I'm paying you $10000 for my leg.... I'm paying for you Lexus... it's rude at best.

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2009, 07:59:47 PM »
Maybe the person with the Volkswagen dose not want to spend the money on a big expensive car...Also some people with money prefer to take a subway.You can't judge a book by its cover certainly not what kind of car they drive or the house they live in. :)

Offline Genki_rockets

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2009, 08:04:01 PM »
Um.. Oneblueleg, this is totally off the subject but I personally can't drive these Hondas, Toyotas, Fords & what not because I hate how the car handles.  Once you are used to certain quality level of a vehicle, it's awfully hard to drive anything less.  It's like if you are used to flying 1st class or business class, you would die if someone forced you to fly economy.

Another point is that as a business person, there is a huge benefit in driving an expensive car.  Case in point?

I would far more rather get my prosthesis from some one who drives a lexus than someone who drives a volkswagon. I t just tells me that he runs his business well and lots of other people have faith in him. Herb

Offline Genki_rockets

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2009, 09:53:33 PM »
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 09:56:16 PM by Genki_rockets »

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2009, 10:44:27 PM »
I have been going to a "brace shop" since 8 months old. Now I go to a leg shop! But seriously most places here in the US make both in one shop. :)

Offline Mitchee

• Oshkosh, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2009, 10:48:33 PM »

(Dont ask me what BS stands for ^^)

[/quote]

BS... Bachelor of Science degree
MS... Master of Science degree
Ph.D...  Doctor of Philosophy.   
In case anyone is interested... ABD... all but dissertation. 

OR... as one of my former professors once phrased it...

BS... Bull Sh** degree
MS... More Sh** degree
Ph.D...  Piled high deep. 

LOL   :-)

Michelle,
MS and ABD on a Ph.D.   :-)
Initial injury:  July 1985
Amputation:  December 2006 - Ertl LBKA

"The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."
 -Lao Tzu

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2009, 03:47:35 AM »
Dear oh dear oh dear... what is this world coming to?!
I couldn't disagree more if I strained so hard I burst...
I've never heard so much clap trap in all my years... ;D

And anyway... what DO you drive? I'll find something to criticise it for very easily... we have a word for people with opinions like yours.... Snob...

Um.. Oneblueleg, this is totally off the subject but I personally can't drive these Hondas, Toyotas, Fords & what not because I hate how the car handles.  Once you are used to certain quality level of a vehicle, it's awfully hard to drive anything less.  It's like if you are used to flying 1st class or business class, you would die if someone forced you to fly economy.

Another point is that as a business person, there is a huge benefit in driving an expensive car.  Case in point?

I would far more rather get my prosthesis from some one who drives a lexus than someone who drives a volkswagon. I t just tells me that he runs his business well and lots of other people have faith in him. Herb
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 03:49:41 AM by Oneblueleg »

Offline pin-hi

• cool, clear water
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2009, 11:02:53 AM »
Hey, how about a new thread where everyone reveals what they drive and then we can decide if we value their opinion on ANYTHING based on what they drive! Is this the get a life forum or amputees helping amputees?
pin-hi

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2009, 12:41:42 PM »
Hey, how about a new thread where everyone reveals what they drive and then we can decide if we value their opinion on ANYTHING based on what they drive! Is this the get a life forum or amputees helping amputees?

It's supposed to be amputees helping amputees...it is very hard to believe what we've just been told.  Most amputees have no idea what to do when they loose a limb, let alone handling all these comments concerning a do it yourself fitting.  Most are doing their best just trying to exist emotionally after loosing a limb.

I drive a 2000 Pontiac Bonneville SSI

Offline Genki_rockets

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2009, 03:21:27 PM »
Ann, don't get distracted by distractors.

When I was doing my Ph.D. in Law (Jurisprudence and Social Policy) at UC Berkeley, I got into this heated argument with Prof. Chambliss from Harvard who basically told me (after couple of beers or more at a bar) in my face that all these degrees ppl are getting & I had gotten (at that time I was a JD & MBA) will only help me become a better blood sucker.  I was so mad that I was tempted to punch her face in.  Twenty years later, I am glad I didn't.  Not only did I avoid being charged with assault and battery, I must admit that I agree with her now.

At Chambliss' urging, I did read a story about steam boat captain written by Mark Twain.  It told a story of how people gain the position of steam boat captain by chance, gain experience, form a group, issue membership, then require new members to become certified, restricting who can become steam boat captains.  Once that got done, they started controlling how much they were going to charge for their service.

Ann, exactly the same happened in prosthetic profession in past 40 yrs.  Once these socket fitters became organized, started issuing certificate, then created standards such as educational requirements, they became empowered to decide how much their service is worth, thus becoming an efficient blood sucking profession.

In this society, there are two groups of people.  Eloi & Morlocks.   Avoid Morlocks at all cost.  ^^

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2009, 02:45:42 AM »
Genki, Ann, and All:

Don't lose alot of sleep over how many initials a person has after their name..... Yep, PHD = Piled Higher and Deeper.    :)

The true quality of a person does not depend on how many fancy diplomas in frames that he or she has on the wall.

Of course, here on the forum, I wear the initials DBKA best of all.  :)
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline chrysochloridae

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2009, 06:53:17 AM »
That is what I am saying...here in US they usually do both..therefore making the price much higher.  Right??

You don't have to have any qualifications or be licenced to practice either in the USA (as far as i'm aware)

Another point about cars. If you  go to a prosthetics and orthotics conference in the UK, you can tell how many prosthetists are attending the conference just by looking at the car park. All the prosthetists get paid next to nothing and so show up in small, old cars that barely look like they will make it home after the conference! The orthotists (who have the same degree) usually get cars as a perk so they show up in large, new cars with alloy wheels and all the trimmings! LOL
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 06:58:36 AM by chrysochloridae »

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2009, 12:31:15 PM »
I really don't know what my prosthetist drives.  But I don't see alot of BMW's or Mercedes in their parking lot.  If my pros fits, that's what matters to me.
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline chrysochloridae

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2009, 09:53:42 AM »

LOL, I drive a Ford Fiesta, am i gonna get kicked from the forum?

Offline Genki_rockets

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2009, 10:28:23 AM »
Yeah, why anyone has to value someone's opinion based on what he/she drives is beyond me.  Pin-hi may be a car salesman for a luxury brand or something, I don't know. LOL

As herb has mentioned, some ppl may view a person's car as a sign of successful career/business, whatever, but I think that's one of the auxiliary views and I feel that it mainly shows a person's preference for comfortable mode of transportation.  panoramic sunroof, keyless entry, voice command GPS & phone, heated/cooled seat, seat memory,.. all these things add up to one thing: comfort.  As an amputee I want to be comfortable when I drive, that's it.  So why am I a snob?   Some opinions offered on this forum, I just don't get it. ^^