Author Topic: How to beat the system & getting your liners, foot, etc. dirt cheap  (Read 9196 times)

Offline Genki_rockets

• View Profile
I guess I've never shared this but perhaps I should.

I get my liners, C-legs, ankles, etc. all through my insurance & nothing comes out of my pocket.  I am my own employer and I chose the plan that would serve me the best rather than the needs of my employees. haha.

At any rate, I had a friend overseas who needed to get her liner from Ossur and she was wondering if I could secure the liner for her cheaper than going through her prosthetist.

Well, I learned quickly that the supplier only sells to prosthetist company.  So I set up my own prosthetic company and ordered supplies through that company.  In the U.S. at least, you don't have to be a licensed prosthetist to set up your own brace shop, prosthetic fitting center, etc.  It's perfectly legal to set up a prosthetic company or brace shop using your home address.

I ended up getting ossur liners, otto bock liners, ankle from college park (the most expensive ankle they sell is under $1,000.  (I bet none of you guys knew that. ^^)  and countless other supplies for other ppl as well.

You see the college park ankle your prosthetist gets cost $1,000 & he turns around and bills you or your insurance $10,000.  That's how prosthetists drive the latest models from Lexus, BMW, or Mercedes.

So if you don't have insurance and need to pay for things out of your pocket, it pays to become your own prosthetic company.  I hope this info helps.

p.s. You have to get EIN number & all the good stuff.  Don't go see an attorney; go see a CPA & CPA can help set up your company cheaply.  Or if you dealt with IRS before or internet savy enough to use google, it's a very simple process & u can set it up yourself.  Just ask google how to set up your company.  Good Luck!!

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: How to beat the system & getting your liners, foot, etc. dirt cheap
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 06:31:32 AM »

I get my liners, C-legs, ankles, etc. all through my insurance & nothing comes out of my pocket.  I am my own employer and I chose the plan that would serve me the best rather than the needs of my employees. haha.

At any rate, I had a friend overseas who needed to get her liner from Ossur and she was wondering if I could secure the liner for her cheaper than going through her prosthetist.

Well, I learned quickly that the supplier only sells to prosthetist company.  So I set up my own prosthetic company and ordered supplies through that company.  In the U.S. at least, you don't have to be a licensed prosthetist to set up your own brace shop, prosthetic fitting center, etc.  It's perfectly legal to set up a prosthetic company or brace shop using your home address.

I ended up getting ossur liners, otto bock liners, ankle from college park (the most expensive ankle they sell is under $1,000.  (I bet none of you guys knew that. ^^)  and countless other supplies for other ppl as well.

You see the college park ankle your prosthetist gets cost $1,000 & he turns around and bills you or your insurance $10,000.  That's how prosthetists drive the latest models from Lexus, BMW, or Mercedes.

So if you don't have insurance and need to pay for things out of your pocket, it pays to become your own prosthetic company.  I hope this info helps.

p.s. You have to get EIN number & all the good stuff.  Don't go see an attorney; go see a CPA & CPA can help set up your company cheaply.  Or if you dealt with IRS before or internet savy enough to use google, it's a very simple process & u can set it up yourself.  Just ask google how to set up your company.  Good Luck!!

Just goes to show how it's not the manufacturers who are over doing the prices then!

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 09:16:29 AM »
Oneblueleg, this hold true in just about every product sold in the USA, they buy it from the manufacture and the mark it up at time way over 100%.

THAT hold true inthe drugs we use, BIG PHARMA,  dosent make the big bucks as every one thing they do, it is the PHARMACIES, cause they buy the pills at peenies on the dollar and the look out on the mark up some of them go as high as 1000%. Just one of my pills they pay if i remember right only 6 cents a pill and i pay 106 dollars for a 90 day supply and the pharmacy bills my insurance company over 400 for the same thing, this may not be the excat figure will have to dig it out, cause being on MEDICARE i get a statement from my insurance company letting me know how much i have left before i hit the donut hole and have to pay full price.
you-all have a great day.

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 01:05:17 PM »
Oneblueleg, this hold true in just about every product sold in the USA, they buy it from the manufacture and the mark it up at time way over 100%.

THAT hold true inthe drugs we use, BIG PHARMA,  dosent make the big bucks as every one thing they do, it is the PHARMACIES, cause they buy the pills at peenies on the dollar and the look out on the mark up some of them go as high as 1000%. Just one of my pills they pay if i remember right only 6 cents a pill and i pay 106 dollars for a 90 day supply and the pharmacy bills my insurance company over 400 for the same thing, this may not be the excat figure will have to dig it out, cause being on MEDICARE i get a statement from my insurance company letting me know how much i have left before i hit the donut hole and have to pay full price.

My husband was a pharmaceutical chemist and lost his job 3x thanks to the drugs being shipped to China and India. The scientist and reassures and development people do all the work and don't make much

Offline Mitchee

• Oshkosh, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 05:49:59 PM »

OMG!!  I'm speechless about the astronomical mark up of prosthetics!!  It irks me that my prosthetist won't sell me a Bioquest Perfect Stride X3 at his cost or even a slight mark up, especially when I have to pay for a new foot out of my pocket.  My insurance won't pay for a new foot for another couple of years.  You would think that my prosthetist would cut me a break since he made a nice profit off of my last prosthesis and I would be paying cash for the new foot.   >:(
Initial injury:  July 1985
Amputation:  December 2006 - Ertl LBKA

"The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."
 -Lao Tzu

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 06:14:34 PM »

OMG!!  I'm speechless about the astronomical mark up of prosthetics!!  It irks me that my prosthetist won't sell me a Bioquest Perfect Stride X3 at his cost or even a slight mark up, especially when I have to pay for a new foot out of my pocket.  My insurance won't pay for a new foot for another couple of years.  You would think that my prosthetist would cut me a break since he made a nice profit off of my last prosthesis and I would be paying cash for the new foot.   >:(

Mitchee,  this really pisses me off {excuss my french}  I just had to pay over  $8,000 for my new foot.. >:(...insurance wouldn't cover it and I walk so much better on uneven ground with it.  If we already have our parts, would a prosthetist put it on our existing leg?

Offline Genki_rockets

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 09:32:42 PM »
FYI, when my friend came to the U.S. to pick up her college park ankle/foot I had ordered, she wanted to get it fitted right away.  So we went to a brace shop and the technician there replaced the ankle/foot for her.  She hasn't had any complaints or problems since the fitting.  Total charge?  $85.00.  (We got $15.00 off since I had gotten my AFO there before. ^^)

You shouldn't be outraged about how much prosthetists charge for their service.  You are choosing to go see a prosthetist; nobody's forcing you to go there.  For BK amputees, consider brace shop as an alternative next time you need to replace a foot or get a new socket. 

From what I saw, brace shop technicians work on complex moldings of every configuration, not just sockets, and apparently, some prosthetists subcontract their work to them, ordering sockets, etc.  I saw bunch of amputee sockets hanging in ther shop/factory.

It's like, if you want to get a divorce, you can hire an attorney who will charge you $255/hr. or you can go see a paralegal who will charge $80 (total) to fill out your paper work & tell you what to do.  In the end, you get the same divorce decree, regardless of who you hired.  Besides, you probably get a better & more accurate info from a paralegal since they do all the work.  Attorneys don't actually work on any case; they just tell their paralegals to do the work. LOL   

In this economy, I feel that even amputees need to get smarter about spending.  ^^

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 10:15:53 PM »
That's a crime Ann...And if BO has is way it will be worse. >:(

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 05:23:48 AM »
Are we talking about the service or just the parts here?

I thought we were just talking hardware costs with mark up.

The service including all the training involved, overheads of running a clinic, labour, expertise, fabrication time etc etc... that's all worth paying for over and above the cost of the hardware.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 09:53:11 AM »
Genki_rockets,

What the heck is a brace shop?  In my area they do both...prosthesis & braces.  You  have to have some knowledge about aligning the foot...you can't just stick it on your leg.

Offline chrysochloridae

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 12:33:51 PM »
In the UK you get a degree in both Prosthetics and Orthotics and then choose your specialty- so if you find a brace shop in the USA with a british man working there, its likely he'll be qualified to fit the part 4 u LOL! There is alot of cross over between the 2 disciplines - both are heavily biomechanics based.  its likely that someone who makes/repairs/sells orthotic braces will have the necessary equipment to carry out the job (just not the insurance). All of the components come with instructions showing how to fit the device.

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2009, 01:33:52 PM »
The place I go for my prosthetic also makes leg braces, back braces and prosthetics for a women with breast cancer and also makes breast prosthetics. When I was a child the place that made my braces also made prosthetics. never thought I would have one! :D

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2009, 01:38:30 PM »
In the UK you get a degree in both Prosthetics and Orthotics and then choose your specialty- so if you find a brace shop in the USA with a british man working there, its likely he'll be qualified to fit the part 4 u LOL! There is alot of cross over between the 2 disciplines - both are heavily biomechanics based.  its likely that someone who makes/repairs/sells orthotic braces will have the necessary equipment to carry out the job (just not the insurance). All of the components come with instructions showing how to fit the device.

That is what I am saying...here in US they usually do both..therefore making the price much higher.  Right??

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2009, 04:46:33 PM »
I have never thought that the prices charged by my prosthetist were too high. They do seem a bit astonishing at times, but as a business person myself, I know that the costs of running a business are high and those costs have to be covered by the mark-ups on product. I would far more rather get my prosthesis from some one who drives a lexus than someone who drives a volkswagon. I t just tells me that he runs his business well and lots of other people have faith in him. Herb

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2009, 05:14:42 PM »
What as person drives dose not matter at  all :)