Author Topic: Don't expect coverage for prosthetics  (Read 6412 times)

Danny Y

Re: Don't expect coverage for prosthetics
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2009, 12:01:31 PM »
Sorry, Haven't been able to get online for several days.
Once again, when I started this post, I was stating what I believe is the business point of view towards amputees and especially the prosthetic equipment they'll require for the rest of their lives. These people look at one thing only.....THE BOTTOM LINE!

Auto companies only have recalls for defective parts when they determine that the costs incurred from litigation will outweigh the costs incurred from repairing or replacing their faulty parts. They don't CARE how many people die or are maimed because of their negligence.
They care about ...THE BOTTOM LINE.

Why do so many insurance companies pay only two or three thousand per year for prosthetic coverage? They know the cost of prosthetics and they also know these costs will never go away for the rest of our lives. My three thousand covers about 2 pairs of OWW liners and a few pairs of socks.

Anyone who thinks national health care will solve our problems should look first at Social Security, our educational system, the FDA, EPA or anything else these bureaucrats touch. Just remember, NOTHING is FREE. All goods, programs and services are paid for one way or another. The difference is that when government steps in, we lose. They will control everything and we are gonna be far from the top of the list.

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2009, 07:30:22 PM »
Danny - you are wrong about government insurance. When I had private insurance, getting anything paid for was a struggle. I recently became old enough for medicare. I got my liners, a new socket, and a c-leg all paid for by medicare with no hassle and no waiting and no appeals. My prosthetist says he wishes all his clients were on medicare because it pays the best and fastest of all insurers. herb

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2009, 08:11:04 PM »
We don't want and don't need Government involvement in our health care. :)

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2009, 09:39:26 AM »
best example of the way goverment messes thing up is try and get anything done by the VA MEDICAL SYSTEM. It take up to 3 or 4 months just to get a doc appointment and then if you have to appeal anything they can take  forever to get to you.  The reason i know this is i am tied up it right now, they are trying to cut my benifits be cause i had to have some things done on both ears and it inproved my hear just slightly and now the want to cut me   by 10% and the operation was only temporary and have to have the tube taken out of my ears on the 28 and the ENT DOC has told me that my hearing will go back to where is was before i had the tubes put in.

SNOWBEAR, i agree with you 100%
you-all have a great day.

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2009, 10:49:00 AM »
best example of the way goverment messes thing up is try and get anything done by the VA MEDICAL SYSTEM. It take up to 3 or 4 months just to get a doc appointment and then if you have to appeal anything they can take  forever to get to you.  The reason i know this is i am tied up it right now, they are trying to cut my benifits be cause i had to have some things done on both ears and it inproved my hear just slightly and now the want to cut me   by 10% and the operation was only temporary and have to have the tube taken out of my ears on the 28 and the ENT DOC has told me that my hearing will go back to where is was before i had the tubes put in.

SNOWBEAR, i agree with you 100%
[/quot

Thanks Jack! ;)

Offline Tigertatts

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2009, 01:36:39 AM »
 Ok I've been trying to stay out of this one but, everyone keeps sayings that stuff is "free" in a NHS. We all know that NOTHING is free so can anyone that benifits from the use of a NHS please post what % of your  Sales tax, Income tax, Property tax, Luxury tax and Personal tax goes to funding the coverage you get from the NHS? 

Just to give a figure the county in California I live in has a sales tax of 8.25%  and property tax of 1% but i'm willing to bet those numbers are higher in countries that have a NHS.

Oh yes and I also did NOT vote for the puppet Obama.

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2009, 03:41:39 AM »
Ok I've been trying to stay out of this one but, everyone keeps sayings that stuff is "free" in a NHS. We all know that NOTHING is free so can anyone that benifits from the use of a NHS please post what % of your  Sales tax, Income tax, Property tax, Luxury tax and Personal tax goes to funding the coverage you get from the NHS? 

Just to give a figure the county in California I live in has a sales tax of 8.25%  and property tax of 1% but i'm willing to bet those numbers are higher in countries that have a NHS.

Oh yes and I also did NOT vote for the puppet Obama.

Our National Insurance is 10%... and I think you'll find the only people who have used the word 'free' are those either stirring the pot, or who are ill educated (or more likely both ;)).

Having said that, if you were visiting the UK from overseas and you have an accident, you will recieve whatever treatment is necessary before you are repatriated... FREE! there's no checking for insurance or credit cards while you're laying in the street here! (I'm guessing that doesn't happen in reality in the US... or does it?!?)

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2009, 09:28:47 AM »
OBL, YES it does happen and did to me and my wife this year when we had our accident, they did not ask for our insurance cards until after we had been in the ER, for almost a half hour, and it only took them about 20 mins to get us our  of the car and into ambulances and on our way, i did even have time to ask about the other drivers or get any information about them until the next day and then had to go and get the police report to find out who had hit me and if they had insurance to cover the cost.

Now i want to ask you is the NHS to you and FRANCE has is so great then why do i read that the goverment in FRANCE is in trouble trying to pay for it????? And FRANCE has been said to have the best of the NHS systems.
you-all have a great day.

Offline chrysochloridae

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2009, 04:05:16 PM »
Wow, things aren't as bad as you think danny...

1. Most amputees do not work
  - Most amputations occur in the elderly due to vascular problems - most of these people have retired long before they have their amputation. In my experience, most of the people who have amputations young tend to go back to work, i would say that the percentage of unemployed amputees under 50 is a much less than the percentage of able bodied jobless under 50's in the UK (no stats to back that up, but all but a handful of my patients under 50 don't work)

2. Amputees do not contribute to the health care system.
 - Again most amputees tend to lose limbs through vascular problems - often AFTER a lifetime of paying taxes so the NHS can look after them in their old age.

3. Amputee coverage is a 100% drain on any healthcare system, N.H.S. or Private
 - Rehabilitating someone to get back to work is likely to cost far less than paying out benefits for a lifetime; and the prosthetic user would themselves be paying tax and national insurance to fund the NHS treatment they recieve.

4. We are NOT entitled to anything.
 - don't know too much about this, but yes, there are instances where amputees aren't seen as disabled so get lower rate of benefits - and thats unfair in my eyes. But if you are in the UK you will be entitled to NHS treatment which should involve a Consultant, OT, Physio and a Prosthetist (as well as others); you would almost certainly be provided with a wheelchair and possibly a prosthetic limb (sometimes 2 or even 3) both ther whellchair and prostheses should be serviced on a regular basis - all paid for by the NHS - this would cost a small fortune overseas (i'm sure some amps from other countries could vouch for this)

5. No Money In = No Money Out
 - can't really help with that one

6. OBL, Sorry Your pipe dream will be gone this year or next at latest.
 - really tight dude

7. U.S. and U.K. are totally corrupt and controlled by the world banks. Two party systems are just an illusion to let the populace think that they have a choice. There's no difference between political parties. Proof? Check Obamlies campaign promises and where we are now.
 - Things might not work perfectly, but the world is getting by!  If you look at it logically, 2 party system is only 1 party more than what china has!