Author Topic: Don't expect coverage for prosthetics  (Read 6410 times)

Offline Genki_rockets

• View Profile
Re: Don't expect coverage for prosthetics
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2009, 05:35:51 PM »
First of all, England's NHS is one of the most effective and successful national health coverage system there is.   Although France and Italy ranks first and second world wide in terms of the quality of health coverage, England's health performance in terms of cost vs. benefit ratio is top notch.

Yes, the U.S. health system is broken beyond help.  We as Americans spend more money than any of the European countries (actually rest of the world for that matter) and get far less medical treatment coverage in return.  (Japan for instance, spends about 10% of what Amercians spend on health care.  Yet Japanese receive better medical care, less prone to disease, and live longer and healthier than the Americans.)

BTW, in rest of the world, cost of a new socket does not run $10,000.00.  In England or France, it's provided free of charge.  In Japan, it costs about $500.00.  Then again, only in America you see a prosthetist drive a brand new Lexus 400 & live in a million dollar house.   ;)  The one Japanese prosthetist I know has been riding his bicycle to work for past 20 years.

So Danny, if u want to talk shXX about the U.S., that's fine.  Just keep England out of it as I shiver with shame when u talk about England and the U.S. in same breath.

And please, stop blaming the politicians or our political system.  Politicians are repesentative of who we are.  Dumb people vote for dumb politians.  Corrupt people elect corrupt officials.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 05:48:58 PM by Genki_rockets »

Offline uScott

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2009, 01:11:12 PM »
I wear out a pair of crutches every 2 years. They told me that medicare will only pay for one mobility device such as a cane, walker, or crutches every 5 years. Fortunately crutches are cheap. At some time in the future I will probably be in a bind to pay my medical expenses and my property taxes which go every year without fail. Herb

About a month after my amputation, when it became clear that the hospital-issue underarm crutches weren't acceptable for daily use, I bought my first pair of "good" forearm crutches.  I wore them out out (more like "destroyed", I actually bent one) in less than a year.  The second pair lasted six months, thanks to my increasing strength and activity level.

Then, instead of buying yet $100 pair of disposable crutches, I ponied up about a thousand for a pair of custom, welded titanium sticks.  Going on six years now, they are holding up great (I am a high activity, mostly-crutch, sometimes-prosthesis user).  I pay $40 for new tips every two years, and needed new grips ($70) after five years; the sticks themselves are bulletproof!  In a few more years they will have paid for themselves -- notwithstanding how much more trustworthy and comfortable they are than cheap sticks.  Who knows how many slip-and-falls I've avoided, or how much hand/wrist stress I haven't had....

My position, if you have a significant and long-term reliance on crutches, it's really worth every penny to buy the best quality hardware you can get.  Topically, my insurance wouldn't pay for mine either, not if I wanted them to pay for a prosthesis as well.  So I bought mine out of pocket, and let them pick up the tab for the fake leg....

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2009, 03:32:12 PM »
OKAY GUYS AND GALS, HANG ON TOYOURHATS, just got the bill for my new legs, thye billed MEDICARE 48,205.10 and got 36,972.86and my share is 2734.19, that what it cost to build my legs, so now you know why i am scare to death about this so call NHS, they are trying to bring in on us, i for one cant afford that and am going to have trouble making payments on what i owe, for right now money is really tight for us. And the bad part is that i usually need new ones every three years, that is what MEDICARE allows.

So in my opinion, the way it is going there is going to be a lot of us wind up riding a chiar, cause we can pay for out needed legs tobe productive citizins. And then also it will cause a lot of legs companies togo under cause we cant buy there product any more.

Herb, proporty taxes are why i moved out of CALIFORNA, had a 4 bd/2b and 2245 sq. ft. home and the taxed on it in 2006 were over 5200.00 and in calif, they go up 2% every year and you have no say so about it, i now have a 4561 sq ft. home with enclosed pool and jaacuzzi, 4 bd/3 1/2b and my proporty taxes are under 3000.00 and are frozen at that rate, just read in the local paper, it looks like we will get a nother tax reduction this year, thats on the county tax, which is .58 per 100, it said that it will only be .02 per 100, but every little bit helps.
you-all have a great day.

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2009, 04:22:15 PM »
I think we are way over thinking this and worrying to much...Lets just see what happens. :)

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2009, 06:30:25 PM »
Hi Snow - I am sure that I am much heavier than you. I weigh close to 200 pounds and use my crutches every day. When I am able to use my leg, at minimum I use crutches for an hour in the morning and into the shower. I have been on crutches completely for the last 6 months due to problems with my residual leg. I cover miles every day and the aluminum forearm crutches get sloppy, the rivets and pins enlarge their holes and fall out, the cuffs break off, once a  handle broke off, and once I broke the lower 12" off. The tips wear through in a year. I think they are made for small people that only use them indoors. Herb

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2009, 06:59:28 PM »
Herb, I weigh 120 and I'm 5'7" Very agile. I also learned good balance as a child from many operations and being tied up in a cast for 3 yeas in a row for 16 operations throughout my life. I try no to hop anymore as its not good on my good leg or knee.

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2009, 09:27:56 PM »
Hey Herb :), I was thinking would a walker be beneficial to you? ?

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2009, 10:09:16 AM »
Hi Scott - I once looked into getting high quality crutches. The company would not bill my insurance company. It bothers me that the insurance will only pay for low quality crutches. Another example of our throw away society. Herb

Offline Joe A.

• Malama Pono
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2009, 03:09:04 PM »
I never quit working. Isn't Ru Paul the drag queen guy? Why would you vote for him I didn't know he was running.
Private discussions regardless of topic are welcome by writing to kapunui@windstream.com

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2009, 06:23:16 PM »
Just by the way, I know many amputees, and most of them work...

Offline SusanN366

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2009, 09:11:40 PM »
I guess I never got the memo on this whole amputees-don't-work-or-contribute issue.  I think I've been unemployed for a grand total of two weeks since I lost my leg in 1972. 
SusanN
Right AKA, 1972

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2009, 03:39:49 AM »
I guess I never got the memo on this whole amputees-don't-work-or-contribute issue.  I think I've been unemployed for a grand total of two weeks since I lost my leg in 1972. 

It's OK Susan, he was just stirring the pot...  ;)

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2009, 11:54:36 AM »
Lost the leg in July back at work September.

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2009, 12:55:20 PM »
Lost Leg #1 in October - back to work early January.

Lost Leg #2 in May - back to wotk in 3 weeks.

But now that I turned 70, I decided to retire and go into loafing mode - and let the younger folks take over.
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2009, 12:59:49 PM »
Enjoy your retirement Joe.. You deserve it!