Author Topic: Don't expect coverage for prosthetics  (Read 6407 times)

Danny Y

Don't expect coverage for prosthetics
« on: July 06, 2009, 04:21:55 PM »
Sorry, I'm not negative as far as outlook on life.
I just look at prosthetics from a business point of view.
What do I see?
1. Most amputees do not work.
2. Amputees do not contribute to the health care system.
3. Amputee coverage is a 100% drain on any healthcare system, N.H.S. or Private.
4. We are NOT entitled to anything.
5. No Money In = No Money Out
6. OBL, Sorry Your pipe dream will be gone this year or next at latest.
7. U.S. and U.K. are totally corrupt and controlled by the world banks. Two party systems are just an illusion to let the populace think that they have a choice. There's no difference between political parties. Proof? Check Obamlies campaign promises and where we are now.
P.S. I voted for Ron Paul.

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: Don't expect coverage for prosthetics
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 04:32:48 PM »
This post doesn't deserve a serious reply... so I won't bother... :P ;D :P

Danny Y

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 04:49:30 PM »
O.K., OBL, Which part wasn't serious?

Offline pin-hi

• cool, clear water
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 04:52:59 PM »
Can this post be moved to the "rant" section please?
pin-hi

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 05:37:46 PM »
O.K., OBL, Which part wasn't serious?

I refer you to the answer I gave earlier...

I'll give you something though, good try  ;)

Danny Y

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 05:52:29 PM »
pin-hi,
 I don't think I was  on a " rant". There were a few points listed. I'll be happy to respond to any in specifics and with references. if you please. Anyone who thinks that big business and government care about ill people, elderly folks, or "the children" are not seeing things the way they are.
Please address specifics. I'll be happy to respond.

OBL, I thank god for life. I don't think He created N.H.S. or any other health care system.

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 07:03:44 PM »
Danny Y:

1.  You say most amputees don't work.  I don't have figures, but:  I had two BK amps at age 62, then conitnued to work for 8 years until I finally retired at age 70.  I know another bilateral BK amp who continues to work as an interpreter.... another who is a firefighter ..... another who is a professional musician ... another who repairs office machines .... another who is an engineering consultant ....and so on.

2.  You say that amputees are simply non-contributing burdens on the healthcare system.  Before my costly amputations, I spent over 45 years working and contributing to my health insurance - and to Social Security.  I am NOT a free-loader - I just pre-paid for these benefits.

We amputees, whether older or younger, deserve a fair shake at life like anyone else.

Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Danny Y

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 08:46:40 PM »
Dick, I'm sorry if I gave the wrong impression.
I'm an amputee. I work as a roofer. I own my own business and do my own work. I'm 57 years old(not a kid).

The point I was trying to make(Not a Rant) is that WE, as amputees don't have a leg to stand on{sic} as far as health care benefits are concerned. If you had read my previous couple of posts concerning health care parity and state mandates, you'd know where I'm coming from.
My post was concerning the point of view where we don't come from.

So let's be clear here. I admire each and every one of us who have lost one or more limbs and continue to be productive members of society and also of the human race. We are all one. Unfortunately, I personally don't believe that the powers that be give a crap about us, veterans, children, minorities, or anyone else.
That was the point of view that my post was taken from. Are we clear?

Offline guzzitx

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 11:38:56 PM »
I live in Texas, I consider myself a Libertarian.
Ron Paul is the one living human I would most like to meet/dine with.

That said, 18 months ago, I developed a serious list to port.
Rehab and recovery followed.

I needed a leg.
Proposed cost was ~$16K.
My insurance, provided through my employer, to which I contribute 25%, maxed out on prosthetics at $2500.00.
To be fair, hospitalization coverage was stellar.
My prosthetist asked if I was aware of DARS in Tx.
Nope, talk to me, I say.
DARS stepped up for the balance.
It's a slippery slope, and I felt myself sliding down the slope ahole over teakettle.
I don't look for government to take  care of me.
Stop taking such a large share of my income, leave me alone, and I will get by just fine.

My amputation was Nov. 6, 2007.
I was back at work before Thanksgiving, 3 weeks later.

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 01:20:56 AM »
Danny Y:

I got ya.  And I agree with much of what you say.  I've always asserted that medical insurance companies are not in the business of providing healthcare, they are in the business of making profits.

And the way to make maximum profit is to collect as much as possible from customers, and to pay out as little as possible. Right?

From what I hear, even the prosthetic parity bills in various states and the Congress are full of loopholes - so it's not true parity across the board.  When it comes to legislation, the vested interests have a stronger grip than we mere consumers.  The fight goes on.
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 08:27:53 AM »
Sorry, I'm not negative as far as outlook on life.
I just look at prosthetics from a business point of view.
What do I see?
1. Most amputees do not work.
2. Amputees do not contribute to the health care system.
3. Amputee coverage is a 100% drain on any healthcare system, N.H.S. or Private.
4. We are NOT entitled to anything.
5. No Money In = No Money Out
6. OBL, Sorry Your pipe dream will be gone this year or next at latest.
7. U.S. and U.K. are totally corrupt and controlled by the world banks. Two party systems are just an illusion to let the populace think that they have a choice. There's no difference between political parties. Proof? Check Anomalies campaign promises and where we are now.
P.S. I voted for Ron Paul.

Most amputees do not work...But isn't that his plan to give to the people who don't work? Coverage for all no matter what.

Proud to say I did not vote for BO either!

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2009, 09:40:53 AM »
Danny, look this one up, i wanted to go back to work after my amputations (bilaterial bka), but the goverment has set a limit on just how much we could make, that is after i got SOCIAL SECURITY DISABLITY payments and you can only clear 940.00 for six months and then they take your payments away from you and your MEDICARE goes also. and i dont care you you are you cannot live on that amount now days. Now that i am turning 66 i can goback to work and make all the money i want and not have any taken away from me. SO says the SS deptment. And they would not retrain me because i was over 55 at the time i lost my legs. And i put in my time at work, started work when i was ten and paided in to social security since i was 14, so dont tell me that i am not entitled to recieve it,amd a nother thing what about that 99.00 they take out of my check every month for MEDICARE part B.

P.S. I also gave over nine years to my country was in the US NAVY. Didnt loose my legs from the service, lost them to something that the gov and tobacco companies covered up.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 09:46:07 AM by pegleg jack »
you-all have a great day.

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2009, 09:47:15 AM »
Snowbear - the whole point of insurance is for everybody to pay into the system and then have your medical bills paid when you need it whether you are still working or not. I am 63 and have been paying into the system since I was a teenager. I recently became eligible for medicare and expect to be using it the rest of my life. The 20% copays and deductibles add up to a lot of money when you have to get a $40,000 c-leg and a $12000 socket. I wear out a pair of crutches every 2 years. They told me that medicare will only pay for one mobility device such as a cane, walker, or crutches every 5 years. Fortunately crutches are cheap. At some time in the future I will probably be in a bind to pay my medical expenses and my property taxes which go every year without fail. Herb

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2009, 05:10:20 PM »
OBL, I thank god for life. I don't think He created N.H.S. or any other health care system.

:D you mis-understand, I don't believe in god, it's just a turn of phrase...

There's no pipe dream, we've had an exceptional NHS for as long as I've been alive and for long before that... I learn much from these forums about how diabolical the American way is by comparison. Your post demostrates it beautifully.
Thank you.

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2009, 05:19:12 PM »
Snowbear - the whole point of insurance is for everybody to pay into the system and then have your medical bills paid when you need it whether you are still working or not. I am 63 and have been paying into the system since I was a teenager. I recently became eligible for medicare and expect to be using it the rest of my life. The 20% copays and deductibles add up to a lot of money when you have to get a $40,000 c-leg and a $12000 socket. I wear out a pair of crutches every 2 years. They told me that medicare will only pay for one mobility device such as a cane, walker, or crutches every 5 years. Fortunately crutches are cheap. At some time in the future I will probably be in a bind to pay my medical expenses and my property taxes which go every year without fail. Herb

I have the same set of crutches for almost 7 yeas now. My husband has replaced the rubber tips on the bottom. I hardly ever use them. I take my  leg off only at bedtime. And crawl to the bathroom which is right off our bedroom. I really don't relay on them but could use a new pair too.