Author Topic: Saying Goobye  (Read 16267 times)

Offline Joe A.

• Malama Pono
    • View Profile
Saying Goobye
« on: March 06, 2008, 02:12:02 PM »
Hi,
S'just me. Joe A. I hope in all the Hubbub of the new forum you find this post. I haven't posted for a while. I've been in the hospital. It seems that old blood thing is finally getting the best of me and has impacted the arteries of my heart. I was granted a short reprieve due to an infection of an IV site postponing open heart surgery and sending me home for 2 weeks. I have to say I really don't think I'll beat this one. I feel like I'm 150 and look like it as well. I'm so tired of fighting to stay alive. It's always been one catastrophe after another. They only have one leg to harvest veins and the bypasses will be connecting to already damaged heart muscle anyway but such is my lot in life and I accept this new blessing with the same grateful appreciation as all.

Unlike my leg ordeal, I am glad that I have had some advanced warning to settle my affairs. I am right with God and at peace with the world but I could not rest in peace without taking the opportunity to tell you all that I love you dearly. Those of you who years ago talked me in off the ledge and those of you who have helped give my life purpose and meaning by letting me share my experience with you. Knowing you all has made a difference in my life that could have only come from you who have shared the experience of surviving an amputation.

I will not blather on like a Big Fat Sissy Lala Nancy Boy. I wish you fair winds and following sea's. If I don't make it back I will be scattered at sea. I must say thank you to Mike Love for hosting this forum.

Mike,
You saved my life.
Private discussions regardless of topic are welcome by writing to kapunui@windstream.com

Offline Marilyn

• View Profile
Re: Saying Goobye
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 02:57:34 PM »
Ah, Damn Joe!

I was thinking of you last evening and wondering if you had not been posting due to health issues.

Damn.

I know I'm a johnny come lately in the amputee and forum life.  But I need you to know that you have had a positive and even joyous impact on my life.  I guess if someone said that about me, I'd be happy.  So, I will spend the rest of my life trying to do so...

None of us know how much time we have.  And all of us will face our own immortality.  This I know however:  My son is very much alive in another realm.  As we all will be.  Don't ask how I know this, I just do.  He has made more than one appearance to me.

For my own selfish reasons, I will send all good prayers and vibes that this is NOT your time.  Yeah, I'm selfish like that.

I find in you an amazing cyber friend!
Marilyn
Marilyn
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 03:06:47 PM »
I don't know what to say, thats quite a bombshell Joe. I obviously hope that things turn around and you stay with us.  The place wouldn't be the same not knowing that at least you're pootering around somewhere.

You've helped me alot Joe. I owe you. First pints on me. Don't worry about being a Big Fat Sissy Lala Nancy Boy. That'll never happen.

Fair winds and following seas my friend, but I expect you back. You better come back! 
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 05:32:53 PM »
Joe A. hang in there old friend, my prays are with you, and we NEED you on here, that is at times i need your help.

They said that life was not a bed of roses and now  i am starting to really see it, it is getting to be an battle every day any more.

SO GOD BE WITH YOU
you-all have a great day.

Offline pin-hi

• cool, clear water
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 02:50:47 AM »
Joe, Life is always full of suprises and I know you'll get through this challenge. I can only send you strong vibes and hope and pray you'll make it. Please let us know how it goes. David D. in Canada.
pin-hi

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 04:57:08 AM »
Crikey... you are a strong and capable man Joe A.

If you are taken you will be missed very much, you and your kind are what make this world a more interesting place to live. Don't give up the fight, even though we are miles apart in more ways than one, I'm sure I 'know' you well enough to know you're not giving up on anything. It's great to hear you sounding so settled in your own thoughts though.

Keep in there, add me to the list of people thinking of you.

Offline naseigfried

• Me on the right with Theron, my great legman. RIP
    • View Profile
    • My MySpace page
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 09:44:38 AM »
Come on Joe!!!!  You've buried yourself before only to arise from the dead to entertain and educate us. You are a fighter whether you believe that or not. You can beat this. Keep on fighting.

I admire you and have learned from you. The amputee world needs you and your no-nonsense approach to our lives as amputees.

My thoughts are with you.

Neal
LBK since April 2004

Offline Michael

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 10:18:53 AM »
Joe,
When I read your post yesterday I had to take time to compose myself.  At this point, no words could ever express my sorrow at the crossroads you are now facing.  You've have been a great asset to this forum and I expect an inspiration to everyone who knows you.  It's strange that even though we never met, I always thought how nice it would be to have you as my neighbor and friend.  Your wit and especially your ability to put it in writing, always caught my attention, and frankly I was always somewhat jealous I couldn't mimic your "charm".

Just think of all the people you have helped writing into this forum over the years.  Dozens of people contribute by posting, but hundreds read this forum everday and if nothing else they know they are not alone.  They all lose something if we lose you.  You're in my prayers.

Michael 

Offline Sparky

• Derbyshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 12:25:21 PM »
Joe,

Like Marilyn I'm also relatively new to the amputee and forum life. You have helped me, I have always followed your posts, not always agreed with everything you have said, but I have learnt a lot, smiled a lot and even laughed out loud.
I know that you have a battle on your hands and I also know you have the inner strength to take it on.

My thoughts are with you.

Offline Dave 08

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 05:35:34 PM »
Joe, I'm looking forward to chatting with you after your surgery. Take care and tell us all about it when you recover ok. Sending you good wishes on a fast recovery.  Dave 
Dave

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 11:31:30 PM »
Hi Joe - I was worried that we hadn't seen you on the new forum for so long. Have faith in your surgeon. You may feel like 150 right now, but bypass surgery does bring people back from what seems like the end. You still have plenty of life in you. Hurry back. I wish you a speedy recovery. BE well Herb

Offline ginger

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2008, 11:09:30 AM »
Joe A.,

Please don't give up.  We here on the forum need you for your experience and knowledge.
Not to menton I need someone to ask about what lies ahead.

God bless you and help you through this difficult time.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon,
Ginger
Ginger Henneberger
38 YO  Strykersville, NY
injury 8/28/02
R AKA 8/07
Still recovering, but doing great

Offline SusanN366

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2008, 09:25:26 PM »
I'm horribly inarticulate but I just want to beg you to stay around, Joe.  Please figure it out.
SusanN
Right AKA, 1972

Offline allen-uk

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2008, 04:40:19 AM »
Joe, I love you.

You helped me when I most needed it, as you have done for many, many others.

If this is farewell, then may your rest be peaceful, free of pain and worry.

Allen.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2008, 10:40:17 PM »
Joe, I will not hear of it, absolutely, no way are we going to let you go.   :(    I will have to admit there were times I didn't quite understand what you were trying to tell me, but after I thought about it ~ it came through clearly.

If you insist you are leaving please have a safe trip, BUT who will chase your wife around the house??  Do you realize you could make me bust into rolling giggles when I was not in the giggling mood.

After your surgery, we want every detail. I will be waiting friend.

;)
ann