Author Topic: Our friend Joe.  (Read 13021 times)

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: Our friend Joe.
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2009, 02:13:58 PM »
here is another thing that hasnt been mentioned and us on SOCIAL SECIURITY, We pay every month i believe that it is up to 99.20 a month for MEDICARE part B, and depending on your income it even goes higher, so to those you think we are getting a free ride look agian, and there is a  lot that MEDICARE wont and dosent cover, we found that out when the wife had her ROTOR CUFF surgery, am still trying to pay that off, the operation was around 63,000.00  and we had to pay 3000.00 out of own pocket cause of thing that she need and MEDICARE didnot cover it.

Thank god for the NHS...

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2009, 02:15:59 PM »
People on NHS systems would always want you to think it's free. It comes from taxes. Some pay 80% and more.

Wrong...

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2009, 03:09:16 PM »
Pegleg Jack,

I don't think we are going to get an increase in social security either...to take care of the increase in cost.  It sure is starting to smell bad isn't it.  Also I am being told that medicare will only pay for prosthetic legs every 3 to 5 years...is this right?  Plus you always have to pay a difference in what they pay & what your prosthetist charges.

Oneblueleg,

We are already paying way more than 10% taxes...to take care of our poor...BUT...a large % wouldn't work if they had jobs. {sorry Dick, but it's the truth}.  I agree at the present time, we have alot of people laid off that do want to work and I feel everyone should help them out.  Church, food banks, etc. that members plus the govt. subsidizes with food & money.  But Hey, don't increase our taxes too.    :(

I wish I had the answer to this problem & many others we face.

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2009, 09:52:51 PM »
I'll keep out of this one! ;D :D

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2009, 04:03:53 AM »
Ann:

At present, Medicare pays 80% of DME, which includes prosthetics.  Many insurance companies, including Blue Cross, follow suit and pay just 80%.  That leaves 20% for the consumer to pay, and 20% of a prosthesis can be a healthy hunk of change - at least in our household.  This would also include wheelchairs, canes, crutches, walkers, hospital beds and so on.  And, most of this stuff is priced outrageously high.

As I understand, they allow for a new prosthesis every 3 to 5 years under normal conditions.  For growing children, it would have to be more often.  In the months after amputation, most go thru much atrophy and shrinkage of the stump, which requires new sockets more often at first.
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2009, 04:15:55 AM »
Ann:

I agree there's a certain number in society who are free-loaders, who won't work if they can avoid it.  But I don't think it is as high a % as many would think.  Most people I know want to take their rightful place in society.

As for Social Security, they've had a cost-of-living increase each year.  With the current economic crunch, who knows what the future holds?
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2009, 09:31:29 AM »
Dick,

I think you're right on in both posts. :)

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2009, 09:50:21 AM »
Morning to you-all, and it is a wet one this morning, been raining since about 3:30 some time real hard, so much for that and yes MEDICARE alllows you to get a new pair of legs made every three years if you need them and you are alsoright about the 20% copay on them, the supplement insurace that ihave pays 90% and i have a 10% co pay, but still it is higher than all get out, my current legs my cost is around 3200.00, and then it depends on your insurance company and MEDICARE, on how much they are going to pay, and what your CPO blils MEDICARE, is not what he is going to get on all of the L-CODE items listed on the bill he or she sends in.

And one thing i am scared of right now is the fact that insurance companies want to do away with covering DME altogeather, and with this new health plan NOBAMA is dreaming up, i have a feeling that they will get there way on it even after all the states that have pased the PARITY BILL to try and stop this from happening.
you-all have a great day.

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2009, 09:57:11 AM »
I know Jack...We have a 20% coverage right now with our insurance and of course my husband works hard for it and its taken out of his pay check each week. We had to choose the coverage for my prosthetic neeeds. I'm so concerned that if this crazy idea BO has we will be cut off or dropped and told to go with the universal coverage >:( Just a added stress we amputees don't need. :-[

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2009, 11:25:52 AM »

Jack,

What does DME stand for?   :)

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2009, 11:58:00 AM »
Durable Medical Equipment??? ???

Offline Joe A.

• Malama Pono
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2009, 02:56:54 PM »
You all really have to stop confusing communist health care with entitlements. You paid for your entitlements which is why you are entitled to them. Unfortunately the government Who proctors the plan gets to decide at any moment what it will or will not cover.

The problem with parity is what I said a long time ago. In stead of "Some" getting the good thing, we will "All" get the bad thing. The bad thing being the far cheaper of the two. As they say, "By the least expensive means possible". This way they can provide for everyone.

Drugs and treatments deemed experimental will be dropped from protocols and formularies. Forget Things like stem cell transplants or bone marrow transplants. You can skip the wasted funding for research. With no profit margin there is no incentive to produce new drugs and treatments.

I think one of the worse things that ever happened was to associate prosthetics with DME.

The government will have no choice but to take over hospital administration. This has to happen. People need to be provided for in the same manner as a communist country. Of course while maintaining their dignity and self respect. The problem is it won't work because while some stand in line at a free clinic, another is willing to shell out $100,000.00 to clone his beloved pet dog.
There are many people out there who need the basic services. Food, shelter, medicine. Some how we must provide for them without handing the full bill to their neighbor. Perhaps they can start their own communist party and coexist with the rest of us paying their way?

Since I'm always left with the check I may as well get on board now. Remember when standing for something meant something in this country? I haven't been paid in two months now. If you're giving away free legs I could use a new socket. Where do I sign up?
Private discussions regardless of topic are welcome by writing to kapunui@windstream.com

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2009, 06:30:40 PM »
If you're giving away free legs I could use a new socket. Where do I sign up?

Come to England, I'd love to meet you  ;)

Offline chrysochloridae

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2009, 04:27:40 PM »
If you're giving away free legs I could use a new socket. Where do I sign up?

Come to England, I'd love to meet you  ;)

Its ridiculous how wasteful we are in the UK. I bet half the prosthetic components we throw away are still serviceable!

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2009, 06:09:32 PM »
Its ridiculous how wasteful we are in the UK. I bet half the prosthetic components we throw away are still serviceable!

Can they not be donated to third world countries? (Maybe they are...?)
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.