Author Topic: Endeavor Games and my new puppy :-)  (Read 2204 times)

Offline Mitchee

• Oshkosh, WI
    • View Profile
Endeavor Games and my new puppy :-)
« on: June 23, 2009, 12:56:01 PM »
I was in Edmond, Oklahoma, June 10th - 14th for the Endeavor Games which were held at the University of Central Oklahoma.  The Endeavor Games are a paralympic style event for athletes with physical disabilities.  I competed in the cycling event and I had a great time.  I met a lot of wonderful people and I hope to attend the Endeavor Games again next year.  For anyone who might be interested in learning more about the Endeavor Games, please visit their website or feel free to contact me with any questions. 

http://www.ucoendeavorgames.com

I also brought a new family member home with me.  While in Oklahoma I adopted a Golden Pyrenees puppy from a rescue group.  She part Golden Retriever and part Great Pyrenees.  She did great on the 17 hour car ride back to Wisconsin.  She is 10 weeks old and her name is Maizy.  She is a wonderful puppy and she has a great temperament.  She is already best friends with my blind cat (who is featured as my avatar).  They play together and sleep together. 

Initial injury:  July 1985
Amputation:  December 2006 - Ertl LBKA

"The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."
 -Lao Tzu

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
Re: Endeavor Games and my new puppy :-)
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 01:56:49 PM »
OH so stinking cute!! I can't stand it!!! ;D

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 05:20:23 PM »
Thank you for rescuing a dog from a rescue group..Rescue dogs Rock!

When looking for a pet Adopt don't Shop! ;D

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 12:51:52 AM »
Oh Mitchee, she is adorable...if she took on 17 hrs. to get home...she will be your friend for life.  Do you take your cat with you on your trips or to a boarding kennel?  How did you fare in the cycling??

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 06:21:36 AM »
Mitchee-

Well done on both things! I think taking part when we can is brilliant. Did you get third place? I wish they had something here where I am!

The puppy looks lovely. I bet you two have a great life together!
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline Mitchee

• Oshkosh, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 08:37:45 AM »
Hi Snowbear, Ann and Steve.  Thanks for the nice words about Maizy.  She is a joy to have.  I look forward to spending many years with her. 

Ann, I don't take my cat on vacation with me.  He stays with my mom.  If I wanted to, I could take him just about anywhere because he travels well but I wouldn't be comfortable with leaving him in a crate/cat carrier at the hotel when I am not there.  He doesn't like to be placed in a crate.  (Most hotels require cats to be kept in a crate/cat carrier if you are not there because of the risk of the cat getting through an open door when the cleaning staff is there.)

Ann and Steve, I really enjoyed the cycling event.  This was the first year that cycling was offered at the Endeavor Games.  As for where I fiinished, I won the gold medal for my division but I was the only person entered in my division so all I had to do was finish.  LOL  My time was horrible but at least I finished.  I had a hard time adapting to the heat and humidity.  I usually ride at a leisurely pace so my goal was to participate and meet some other amputee cyclists.  Winning a medal wasn't a goal.  I also had the opportunity to participate in a cycling clinic and I learned a lot of new skills.  Since I enjoyed participating, I plan on training for next years event instead of riding at a leisurely pace.   ;)

Michelle

-Lao Tzu

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 12:34:16 PM »

Hey lady, at least you went to the games and were involved...it doesn't matter where you finished...I don't know why I asked you that question.  Senior moment   :(   I think.   Anyway girlfriend you finished  AND took the gold.  That's great.  Maizy is a true knockout.   :)

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 12:43:56 PM »
Maizy will give you many years of unconditional love and companionship. She is very sweet. :D

Offline Mitchee

• Oshkosh, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 02:53:15 PM »

Hey lady, at least you went to the games and were involved...it doesn't matter where you finished...I don't know why I asked you that question.  Senior moment   :(   I think.   Anyway girlfriend you finished  AND took the gold.  That's great.  Maizy is a true knockout.   :)

It's okay that you asked.  I don't mind.  I had a great time and met a lot of wonderful people.  Coming home with a gold medal was a 'bonus' even though I really didn't earn it.  Being able to participate and staying active is what is important to me.  I ride because I enjoy it.  I hope to see more people participate in the cycling event next year.       :)

-Lao Tzu

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 08:06:19 PM »
Do you have any trouble riding?  Did you have to buy a toe clip for your peddle?Guess I just am so full of questions...I don't have an outside bike, just one for the inside...guess I will have to invest in a regular one.   I am having some trouble with my balance.  Don't know if it's due to the fact I am on alot of medication or not.      I think its making me dopey   ;)   
  Give Maizy a great big lovin' for me.

Offline Mitchee

• Oshkosh, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 02:34:10 PM »
Hi Ann.  I really don't have any trouble riding.  When I first started riding as an amputee I was a little leery of riding in traffic and clipping in and out of my pedal with my prosthesis.  I started riding on side streets where there wasn't a lot of traffic so that I could get used to riding with a prosthesis.  After a few rides I felt confident and I was comfortable riding with my prosthesis so I started riding on busy streets and in traffic.  I usually ride between 10 and 50 miles at a leisurely pace but I have to ride on a busy highway to get to some nice country roads.  I'm more worried about getting hit by a driver who doesn't see me than I am about my own abilities.  I also ride with clipless pedals.  My cycling shoes clip directly to the pedal without the using a toe clip.  Clipless pedals aren't for everyone and they can be intimidating if you have never used them.  I rode with clipless pedals prior to becoming an amputee so the transition was pretty easy with my prosthesis.  If you decide to go biking, I would recommend using a flat, standard pedal until you are comfortable and then I would add a toe clip to provide some stability and leverage for your prosthetic foot.  I also have a separate prosthesis for cycling.  My cycling prosthesis (socket) is cut low on the backside so that I can pedal without the back of the socket digging into my thigh.  It is also 2 inches longer than my everyday prosthesis, this allows me to complete the pedal stroke without having to shift my weight with every pedal stroke to compensate because my prosthetic foot doesn't flex at all.  The cycling leg was built from some of my leftover parts so it is heavy and doesn't have any carbon fiber parts or a high tech foot.  Someday, I hope to purchase a different cycling prosthesis that has a carbon fiber socket and a foot that plantar flexes easily.  In the meantime, I am just happy to ride.   :) 

-Lao Tzu

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 10:37:00 PM »
I ride my mountain bike My prosthetic leg kept coming off the peddle..My husband put a peddle extender on it and it works great no problems now. :)