Author Topic: Of interest to those in Pa. or thinking of retirement  (Read 7043 times)

Offline Joe A.

• Malama Pono
    • View Profile
Of interest to those in Pa. or thinking of retirement
« on: May 23, 2009, 06:09:10 PM »
I am stuck here in Pa. just making the best of things as it were. I had been surfing the web curious about the best places to retire. Would you believe ranked numbers one and two are Montgomery County Pennsylvania, where I already live and Lancaster County Just down the road a piece where I do my shopping. Who would have thought? Montgomery County was once in the top 5% in all the United States for per capita income has dropped to a paltry 24 out of the 50 highest yet almost 15% of the residents are over 65.

According to the articles I read, we "Baby Boomers" are no longer opting for the sunnier spots like Florida or Hawai'i yet clinging to the burbs such as the Main Line. Mostly due to the knowledge that there are good medical facilities just a short drive away and plenty of them to choose from. Lots of Prosthetic Practitioners. Top shelf theatre and the arts and a short drive to the beach. Very little crime to speak of.

See that? Who knew how lucky I was?
Private discussions regardless of topic are welcome by writing to kapunui@windstream.com

Offline ann

• View Profile
Re: Of interest to those in Pa. or thinking of retirement
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 08:00:36 PM »
 :)

Joe, see everyone in PA does not want you to leave the area.  Tell me why you want to retire in Hawaii?  What calls you there...were you born there or have just loved the island living.  Tell me about Hawaii...........

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 02:15:35 AM »
Hi Joe and Ann:

Well, well.  Here I am, also in lovely Montgomery County PA, just down the road from Joe.  I AM retired, officially in "loafing mode", yet with no plans to move far away.  What keeps us here?  In a word, our two married kids and the World's sweetest granddaughter, all of whom live within an hour's drive.

Also, as a retired pastor, all my clergy friends are nearby here in SE PA.

Oh, sometimes I yearn for my childhood Cape Cod and points north.  But we can satisfy those urges with an occasional visit each summer, to visit relatives and get our annual lobster-feed.  (Love those crusty critters from the deep)

What draws Joe to HI?  I've never been there, but sometime in mid-February, when we're up to our armpits in snow and ice, the warmer climates sound tempting. 

So, what keeps us here?  Family ..... friends .... and, OK, inertia (too much like work to think of uprooting this late in life).

Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline Joe A.

• Malama Pono
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 04:38:51 PM »
HMmmmmm....
Dick retires and the average per capita income drops from number 1 in the country to number 24? What's up with that?

I was also considering the grandchildren while I was surfing. They live in Texas. I like Texas. It's not for everyone but what is? Everything is so far apart. It seems you are always driving. Housing and taxes are  reasonable there.

I got involved with Hawai'i when I was sent to Pearl for emergency work. I hate Oahu. One side very wealthy. One side not so wealthy. Both side come together every day in the middle for the worlds largest traffic jam. I was living on the base and couldn't wait for the job to be over. Then one day I was invited to spend a weekend on Maui. It is the most beautiful place on earth.

I called the Demon and I say's "You can have everything, I'm never coming back again". So she comes out to see what is all the Hubbub. She calls the kids and say's, "You can have everything. We're never coming back again" So the kids come out. We've been going back and forth ever since.
Private discussions regardless of topic are welcome by writing to kapunui@windstream.com

Offline SusanN366

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 06:07:13 PM »
My background of ending up in Hawaii for a while is similar (went on vacation and didn't come back for five years), except I think Oahu on it's worst traffic day is still one of the more beautiful places on earth.  It calls me back a lot. 

I hear a lot about North Carolina being a good retirement place.  I need to check it out one of these days (sooner rather than later).
SusanN
Right AKA, 1972

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 07:49:09 PM »
Joe, you might like to know that the utilities are higher than a kite down here in texas, just got my last months bill and it is over 200.00 and havent even started using the A/C yet, and the gas for the house i just as bad during the winter months. have had up to as high as350.00 month gas bills to heat this house, not complaining that much cause i do like it down here if i didnt i sure would nt stay.
you-all have a great day.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 08:12:45 PM »

Holy Moley PLJ, that's awful high!  How large is your house anyway..are we talkin' bottle or natural gas.  And when that 'ol sun gets sizzlin' I certainly don't want to pay your electric.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 08:20:10 PM »

Joe, I appreciate you telling me why the islands mean so much to you...AND I think you really love your wife {the demon} more than you let on...I think when you snap those fingers, she comes running.  Do you have a place in Maui year round?  You should if your family loves it that much...life's too short not to be happy.

Love ya' Joe; stay safe & healthy.

Offline guzzitx

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 12:06:35 AM »
Joe, you might like to know that the utilities are higher than a kite down here in texas, just got my last months bill and it is over 200.00 and havent even started using the A/C yet, and the gas for the house i just as bad during the winter months. have had up to as high as350.00 month gas bills to heat this house, not complaining that much cause i do like it down here if i didnt i sure would nt stay.

Wow, Joe.
My little 1200 sq ft house has elec bills around $150 in the heat of summer.
Never a winter gas bill over $100.
Must be the kind folks at Reliant looking out for me.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 09:00:34 AM »
Hey i am not complianing that much, knew that is was going to be high when i bought this place, 4bd/3 1/2 baths, has 4561 sq ft, plus a pool and jacuzzi and have to run the filter pumps for 10 hrs a day and have wall fans in the pool house that run 24/7, the reason we havent used the big A/C in because i have window units in all of the bedrooms and believe me it cuts down on my light bill using them, for you are only cooling that one room and not  the whole house like when we use the main unit, and also this house has two units of A/C and two hot water heaters, and with the type of roof on the pool house if we keep this warm weather up i will wind up with water that is over 90 degrees, did last summer, havent been out to check it today but friday i had 78 degree water and am not even running the heater, which is natural gas, did run it one december a year ago for two hrs a day and wound up with a 350.oo gas bill, so i dont use it much, only if it really get cold at night and then it will come on to keep the pipes from freezing on me. but thank goodness that dont happen a lot.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 08:22:37 AM »

With all that space PLJ, that really isn't too bad...that is alot of space to heat...and cool.  Must be nice to swim anytime you want....helps you with your exercising.

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 09:36:54 AM »
Montgomery County Pennsylvania, where I already live and Lancaster County

Near Reading, that's a coincidence, I live near Reading... the original one though  ;)

Offline Joe A.

• Malama Pono
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2009, 01:20:43 PM »
Yes OBL but you don't have all those wonderful outlet stores

I'll tell you all Compared to the Philadelphia Electric Company rates, your utilities are free. PECO has the highest rates in the country including Guam, US Virgin Island, Puerto Rico and American Samoa. PECO is still paying for Limerick and Three Mile Island which was blown way out of propotions. A little meltdown in the number Two reactor and all the worlds a tither. I could have fixed it.
Ann,
If I were to snap my fingers at my lovely wife she would snap my hand off. Have you seen the movie The Devil Wears Prada ?

I am happy to report that the burn on my foot will soon be healed. The finger will take much longer as it was damaged far worse. No fault to Jacuzzi. There is a sensor that tells the brain to shutdown. My lucky day but the sensor and brain broke at the same time and since I am blessed to have little feeling in my foot I burned myself. I still endorse the jacuzzi and recommend you buy one or something like it.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2009, 05:41:02 PM »
Joe. how much do you pay for  a KWH, right now i pay around .17 per kwh. and that is the cheapest i can find in texas or this area anyhow.

Offline Minerva

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2009, 06:23:44 PM »
Yes OBL but you don't have all those wonderful outlet stores

I'll tell you all Compared to the Philadelphia Electric Company rates, your utilities are free. PECO has the highest rates in the country including Guam, US Virgin Island, Puerto Rico and American Samoa. PECO is still paying for Limerick and Three Mile Island which was blown way out of propotions. A little meltdown in the number Two reactor and all the worlds a tither. I could have fixed it.

Sorry, Joe, but was your comment aimed at OBL?  ???  If so, take a look here ~ http://www.lovemoney.com/news/household-bills/are-gas-and-electricity-comparisons-accurate-715.aspx (scroll down to the table of prices) and you'll see that things aren't that cheap over here. Also, our fuel is two thirds tax and is much more expensive than yours.  ::)

Glad your burns are healing, though.  :)