Author Topic: Words to live by and About getting hurt.  (Read 6099 times)

Offline Joe A.

• Malama Pono
    • View Profile
Words to live by and About getting hurt.
« on: May 22, 2009, 03:10:50 PM »
Each of us is nothing more than the sum total of every person we have ever met, watched, read or listened to. Professors, Ministers, books, film and music. One of the reasons I get hurt is because I often put myself in harms way. Here is why.

Doodle loodle loot... Dissolve to a roaring stinking hot summers day in a ballfield on Lansdowne Ave in West Philadelphia across the street from Saint Calistus School. A short little fellow about 5 stands poised between first and second base trying to play short stop.

His mentor and bestest friend in the whole world, Sister Anne of The Good Sisters of Mercy, A beautiful young woman who would be called home to Jesus the following year, is standing at home plate with a bat and ball dressed in her medieval black habit and sweating bullets in her white PF Flyer's.

She tosses the ball up and whacks it with the bat right to the boy who quickly steps aside to miss getting hit with it. He runs to the outfield to retrieve the ball and She whacks it right to him again as he steps aside and ducks to miss getting hit. After the third time she calls him in to home base and says, "Josey, you can't catch the ball if you don't get in front of it".

Now I'd like to say I never dropped a ball again but that wouldn't be true. Sure I've missed them plenty of times but not because I wasn't ready to get hit by them. That's how I've lived life. In harms way waiting for that catch.

Are you out there taking on life with your prostheses? Are you ready to fall and get right back up again or are you ducking and stepping out of the way? What words have encouraged you?
Private discussions regardless of topic are welcome by writing to kapunui@windstream.com

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Words to live by and About getting hurt.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 05:04:07 PM »
Joe, net story, and i recond that you can put me in the catigory of getting up and going on wilh live and not letting it get me down, have fallen many of time after i go my legs and a couple of times before, but one cannot let that get to them for i can say that it comes with the territory of being an amputee, also feet that it is harder on us bi's, for it isharder for us to get up after we do go down, must be lucky cause out of all the falls i have had only once i didnt have my chair handy to help me get out and that time i fell out of a tow truck, and my left leg was not locked good and when i went to step out of the truck my leg took off and went i dont remmember, cause my wife handed it to me while i was seting on the ground wondering what the heck happened.
you-all have a great day.

Offline Jeff Jester

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 10:25:33 PM »
I was just out of the hospital after my accident/amputation and I received a letter from someone I never knew or heard of before. He was told about me by a mutual friend. His words to me were 'A man that knows what it means to struggle is to achieve '. This person was Dave Barr a motorcyclist who drove around the world on a Harley to raise money for the Cheshire Foundation. He is a double amp one below and one above. Later he sent me a book he had written about the ride 'Riding the Edge' and also another one about his ride across Siberia in the winter 'Riding the Ice' I recommend these books for any one that needs inspiration. I also believe anything is achievable, no matter the circumstances, with perseverance. Where there is a will there is a way.
Regards Jeff

Offline Jeff Jester

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 10:28:33 PM »
Sorry, but while I am thinking about books, another very good one (I forget the exact name) is about a WW2 RAF pilot Douglas Bader. Lost his legs in a plane crash but continued fly fighters.
Jeff

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 04:58:08 AM »
Excellent story Joe.
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 08:08:21 AM »
Hi Joe - Sister Anne  gave you some good advice. I went to catholic school also and got a lot of good advice from the nuns. I heard the advice you got phrased a little differently. " You can not win, if you do not play" Herb

Offline Joe A.

• Malama Pono
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 04:44:00 PM »
One of the reasons I bring this to you all is because the Lehigh hospital is sponsoring a visit from one of these super amps who run marathons on those Tigger Tail feet. I'm sorry but I don't find these people encouraging. I take more encouragement from a skinny little houswife who can push a grocery cart through a store on her Mod III.

I wish StacEy would come back once in a while. I miss her.
Private discussions regardless of topic are welcome by writing to kapunui@windstream.com

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 06:47:01 PM »
Sorry, but while I am thinking about books, another very good one (I forget the exact name) is about a WW2 RAF pilot Douglas Bader. Lost his legs in a plane crash but continued fly fighters.
Jeff

Bader was showing off and had no one to blame but himself, and could have killed people... hardly worth celebrating...

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 08:26:59 PM »
Joe,

I get encouragement from all the people on this forum...we come from so many different sections of the world.  We get the opinions of all...I think that is what really helps. :)

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 09:25:36 PM »
Jeff

Bader was showing off and had no one to blame but himself, and could have killed people... hardly worth celebrating...

I read that he crashed "attempting a slow roll at very low level following jibes about him not wanting to perform aerobatics that day".  Sounds to me that he was goaded into it. It almost sounds like he didn't want to do what was expected. Either way I would think that any celebration would be for the fact that he did not let his disability stop him.

I also found this:
"Carl Brashear was given a copy of a magazine containing an article about Douglas Bader and his flying abilities as a double amputee. It served as an inspirational story for him during his recovery and demonstrated to me the tremendous dedication for Carl Brashear to turn his tragedy into triumph." Carl Brashear is the man whose struggle is documented in the film 'Men of Honor' in which he loses his leg while a navy diver. He also didn't give up and became the first amputee US Navy diver.

Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 03:34:43 AM »
True, Joe, for a number of the so-called "spectacular amputees".  Often it is a mix of true grit and determination on one side and stupidity and foothardiness on the other side.

At Lehigh Valley, you may be referring to Cameron Clapp who has been here several times.  How he got to be an amputee is a sad episode of irresponsibilty, yet what he has done with the resulting triple ampuitation is quite remarkable.  All-in-all, he's a person well worth knowing.

First, the stupid side, and he freely admits it:  As a teenager he got drunk, wandered outside his home at night, fell asleep on a railroad track, and was run over by a train.  He lost both legs above the knee and also his right arm.

Then comes the long slow process of healing, getting prosthetics, and regaining his mobility against all odds.  He is young and physically fit, and tackles many activities, including swimming, running, and plays golf when he comes to Lehigh.  He has a great personality and gets the kids' attention.  Not only showing off what he can do, but telling them not to engage in drinking and other activities that would get them hurt.

Who knows, maybe Cameron's presentation may keep at least one kid from repating his foolhardy behavior.

Then, you get the daredevil motorcyclist who brags that "I was going 140 MPH on my "Hog" - and the bridge abutment was going 0 MPH."  And maybe drugs or alcophol was involved.

Well, I usually meet these people long after their stupid time. now that they're making the best of their situation.  If I can learn from them, be inspired by them, and enjoy their comany ..... why not?
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline Joe A.

• Malama Pono
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 01:04:23 PM »
Now see Dick. I think you've hit right on my problem. I look at people like that and think "I'm more stupid than that". You know I'm a nutcase. There isn't a kid who ever grew up around Philly who didn't drag race on Delaware avenue. The highest ticket I ever got was for doing 212 on the Atlantic City expressway. Trooper asked,"Sir is there any reason you're doing two hundred and twelve miles an hour?". I shrugged and said, "Cause it won't do 213?". Now that was a car. Fully worked mercruiser 454 with two Turbo's puting out a bone crushing 900 horse power at the wheel. I cried when I sold that one.

Then there was the time in Bart township near Nickel Mines when I was doing a zillion miles an hour. Went off the road at a hairpin turn and slid a full quarter of a mile into an old Amish famers field. Good thing it was past harvest. I'll never forget how he wasn't mad at all. After making sure I wasn't hurt he hitched up a four horse team and dragged that old vette back to the road. I offerd him money but he would'nt take a penny from me. I love Amish people.

More to the point though. For all the really stupid things I have every done and there were plenty. I rarely ever got hurt. Maybe this is the reason I can't relate well. All it took was a tiny blood clot to rock my world forever. Maybe I need to attend more of these meetings and spend more time listening. How about posting the next meeting time and date along with the room number and I will make a point to be there.
Thanks Dick

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2009, 07:56:06 PM »
Ah Joe.  Welcome to the group.  We usually meet at the hospital LVH in room 5 of the new "K" wing.  As you face the manin entrance, it's the new wing on the right (west) side.

However, this month June 15, we're celebrating with a meal at Outback Steakhouse, at Cedarcrest Blvd and Tilghman Ave. Come to the hospital.  Continue north on Cedarcrest, under I-78, north past Hamilton and Chew Ave.  Outback is in the shopping center on the right, just before Tilghman.

I believe the meal is compliments of the group - proceeds from the golf tournament.  Hey!  After all the business you've given LVH, you deserve a free feed, right?  Bring your wife.  We have lots of spouses and she should feel at home. 

Most of the meetings are back at LVH, and cover a variety of amp-related topics.  But a couple of times a year we go celebrate.

It would cedrtainly make my day if you and Deb join us.

Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2009, 11:42:39 AM »
 :)

Oh Dick, I am so glad the {Demon} has a name.............Deb

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2009, 07:52:03 PM »
Ann:

I hope I'm right about Joe's wife's name.  Seems I saw it on one of his posts.  If I'm wrong, Joe, my apologies. 

I figure she can't really be a demon -- notice that it's always in brackets or quotes, {demon}.  Knowing Joe, she's gotta be some kinda saint. LOL

Trust me, Ann, my wife Barbara has to be somer kinda saint to put up with me.

It's great when we gimpy guys are blessed with loving mates.  When they said "for better or for worse, in sickness and in health..."  little did they know what they were getting themselves into!
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA