Author Topic: So Then...  (Read 2121 times)

Offline Joe A.

• Malama Pono
    • View Profile
So Then...
« on: May 16, 2009, 10:54:41 PM »
Everybody gets buried and finally we can rest in peace as well. So I had the huge burn on my Good foot and it was doing well when I decided to have an innocent cup of soup while watchinf "Survivor". While I'm not a big fan on the program, I was just killing time waiting for Chef Ramsey's, "Hells Kitchen".

Later I go to bed and wake the next morning with a huge blister on my third finger it being cooked by the cup of soup I was holding. ??? Suddenly it gets infected and I get admitted to the burn center at Lehigh Valley Hospital.

What a fantastic experience in healing. I wasn't in much pain as that's why I burned to begin with and in comparison to the other guests I kinda felt like a Freeloader taking up space but they treated me with the highest regard you could imagine. They took care of my every need and popped in frequently to ask if I wanted anything.

They were very generous with my pain meds. Even though it was as needed they came in and asked if I wanted them. Some people were burned pretty bad and a couple died while I was there. This really helped to put my meager selfish needs into perspective. My amputation was a life altering experience but I still look the same. Imagine having your face melted.

They sort of covered that base as well; and had a LSW come in and speak to people. I was happy to know I lifted her spirits. On a  side note her name was Liz and she was the walking definition of Cute. She invited me to attend the burn victim support group and told me about the amputee group but I told her I don't attend the amp group as they don't talk about faith or God.

I was finally discharged. The pool guy came and replaced a sensor and board so the water will never overheat again but I can't get in until the burn is healed completely. Then I go to my computer and find so many people wishing me well and several sending me phone numbers. What a great bunch of people you are. All I can say is thank you. I love you too!

Mahalo Nui,
Joe A.
Private discussions regardless of topic are welcome by writing to kapunui@windstream.com

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
Re: So Then...
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 02:08:33 AM »
Joe:

You DO amaze me.  Just one medical adventure after the next.  What are we gonna do with you, mate?

Gotta admit.  The Burn Unit has got to be one of the most difficult places in a hospital.  Of course, as we know, LVH being the mega-hospital it is, has many specialized units.  Our Amputee Group has been associated with 4-K, the Vascular Unit.

Very smart move, getting a temperature-limiting device on your hot-water supply.  We guys who have lost some sensation on limbs do have to be ultra-careful - whether it's burns or undetected sores of any kind.  God gave us the nerve system for a reason, and when it's not working up to par, we gotta improvize.

So ..... the LSW was kinda cute, eh?  A bit of "male therapy", matey?

Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 08:13:32 AM »
Joe YOu are avery strong amazing person!

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 08:32:29 AM »
Hey out htere, remember the movie BUBBLE BOY, well me thinks that is what we are going to have to do to Joe, that way we can keep a close eye on him. LOL
you-all have a great day.

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 08:48:05 AM »
I too sometimes think that I am very lucky when I compare myself accident to what others are faced with. When I was in the hospital after my accident, my room was next to a young man who was a burn victim. He had it far worse than me.
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline annieg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 12:47:32 PM »
Joe, Just one adventure after another.  Life is never dull!  Hope you're doing okay.  Annieg
He who limps, still walks.

Offline Ally

• RAK South Africa
    • View Profile
    • Personal RAK Website
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 01:33:25 PM »
Hi Joe

Shoo-wee.....yip, bubble wrap is in order  ;)

Hope you're doing great,
Ally
x
Courage does not always roar.  Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying "I will try again tomorrow."

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 01:45:39 PM »
Joe,

I am so glad to hear from you...yes we miss you and your quirky thoughts & messages.  Then you can go very serious on us.  Do continue to improve & stay on the computer.  Maybe you could hold your soup with a napkin wrapped around it;  or yes, we are going to bubble wrap you.  You talk about so many interesting subjects.

And yes, we love you also. :)

Offline SusanN366

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 04:30:00 PM »
Welcome back, Joe.  You're missed when you're not around.  I wish there were magic words to make some of your days better.  One day, one breath at a time, heh?
SusanN
Right AKA, 1972

Offline stinker373

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 11:26:06 AM »
Welcome bk and please keep ur fingers out of the soup hehehe. Burns can be nasty stuff so be careful.