Author Topic: Otto Bock 3R90 Knee versus Total Knee?  (Read 5247 times)

Offline SusanN366

• View Profile
Otto Bock 3R90 Knee versus Total Knee?
« on: May 14, 2009, 11:22:17 AM »
Oy...it's a busy time for me and knees.  I had a total knee replacement in March (it's so nice to be pain-free for a change!), and now my artificial limb has gotten raggedy and needs replacement.  I'm an AKA with a relatively sedentary lifestyle but I still do my share of walking and moving around.  I currently have a Total Knee which has served me well, though it has felt a bit bulky at times.  I feel secure with it.  It pretty much bites with hill-walking, but I assume that's true of most AK knees?  (BTW, I've already tried a C-Leg and didn't get along with it...we have control issues :)

My CP has suggested I think about an Otto Bock 3R90; he says it should function the same as the Total Knee but will be more lightweight and has a better bend (I think).  Any opinions out there about which I should choose?
SusanN
Right AKA, 1972

Offline Ally

• RAK South Africa
    • View Profile
    • Personal RAK Website
Re: Otto Bock 3R90 Knee versus Total Knee?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 08:00:00 AM »
Hi Susan

I also had a Total 2000 which I adored!  It served me so well.

Then my CP asked me to go to a seminar with him and be his "patient" while explaining various pressure points in a socket.

He made a new socket and said I had to wear another knee....a 3R60.  Man I hated it.  It felt very different to the Total, completely, even though my CP said it should feel almost the same, just safer.

Well........hurtling on a little to where we are now, a year later....

I pay for my own expensive bits, so my CP always keeps an eye out for me when 2nd hand parts pop up.  And, yip, a 3R60 popped right up.  Dirt cheap.  What to do, what to do!

He made me take it home to test drive for a couple of weeks and I fell in love with it.  Properly.

I am going to need a new knee in the future, and if I had the finances, I would go with a 3R90.  As it stands, we are looking at another 3R60.

I wouldn't go back to the Total knee.  Not now.  But it took some getting used to. 

My story anyway.....  :)
Courage does not always roar.  Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying "I will try again tomorrow."

Offline SusanN366

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 06:33:58 PM »
Thanks, Ally!  I saw equally mixed reviews on both knees on the Net, so I've decided to stay with my tried and true Total Knee (albeit a new, shiny one!).  Since it appears I'm going to spend the better part of a year training and getting used to my new biologic knee replacement, I decided against having to learn the quirks of a new prosthetic knee at the same time. 

Between the knee replacement recovery, being unexpectedly fitted for a new prosthesis, and getting treatment for unrelenting jaw pain (including a trigger point injection next week), it's been an interesting May.  June should only be REALLY boring.  :)
SusanN
Right AKA, 1972

Offline Ally

• RAK South Africa
    • View Profile
    • Personal RAK Website
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 01:30:42 PM »
Hi Susan

It's a Chinese curse, you know? ..... "May you live in INTERESTING times".    :D

I think you made a good decision regarding the knee, it would be hell to walk on a new arty knee as well as a new real-knee.  You can always change later on.

Enjoy the rest of May...  ;)

Ally
xx
Courage does not always roar.  Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying "I will try again tomorrow."

Offline chrysochloridae

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 03:15:17 PM »
Hi susan,

Just to let you know a few experiences that me and some of my colleagues have had.

Firstly, changing from a Total Knee to other knees is notoriously difficult for amputees because of the way the Total Knee works, People often feel unsafe changing to a single axis knee even if it does have hydraulic / computer controls

Secondly, (in my experience) the 3R90 + 92 aren't very reliable. They are lightweight and relatively inexpensive; but i doubt you'd feel as secure on these as you would with a Total Knee. The braking unit in these knees engages when you put weight on the toe; the 3R90/2works in a completely different way  the Total knee works (knee bends with weight ON the toe).

If you are interested in trying a new knee you may want to look at Polycentric knees instead of Single Axis ones as you should still feel the security from the polycentric mechanism. An example being the Otto Bock 3R106

If you are finding that your Total Knee 2000 is heavy, they do make a lighter-weight Total Knee 1900....
http://www.ossur.com/prosthetics/knees/tk1900