Author Topic: Am I doing something dangerous?  (Read 4242 times)

Offline Genki_rockets

• View Profile
Am I doing something dangerous?
« on: May 11, 2009, 04:49:50 PM »
I am getting my socket resized as my stump has shrunk.  Since it's going to take few more weeks until i get the new socket, i've been using the old socket. (My prosthetist is out of state giving seminar)

Walking doesn't bother me so much as swinging golf club.  Since I want to hold good form, I try to keeep my leg steady through my stump.   My knee (C-leg) stays locked at a particular angle during my swing and fair amount of pressure builds up inside the socket during my swinging phase.

The problem is that my stump began hurting so much at night and I couldn't get much sleep.  So I've started taking lyrica (controls nerve pain) and also celebrex to ease the pain. 

My stump pain has subsided considerably but i am worried that i might be injuring my stump inside & may not know it.  On one hand, I am glad I can wear my leg relatively pain free & play golf.  On the other, I am worried that I can seriously hurt myself by continuing to use socket that is too lose. 

I wish I can talk to my prosthetist but he's not available.  Can anyone give me an adivce instead?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 04:52:24 PM by Genki_rockets »

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
Re: Am I doing something dangerous?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 05:10:57 PM »
I have been there and have done the same thing. Its seemes to make the pain worse and the phantoms kick in more when the socket is to big or to small. How may socks are you using to make it fit? I think we have no choice until your new socket is ready.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 05:17:35 PM »
Genki, if it was me, i would lay off of playing (cow pasture pool) until i got my new socket finished, soundls like you may be twisting you thigh muscle to much and it is binding in the socket. Also how many socks are you wearing at this time.
you-all have a great day.

Offline Minerva

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 05:20:05 PM »
Genki, if it was me, i would lay off of playing (cow pasture pool) until i got my new socket finished, soundls like you may be twisting you thigh muscle to much and it is binding in the socket. Also how many socks are you wearing at this time.

Totally agree with Jack! You could really be doing some damage.

If it's phantom pain then take the Lyrica, otherwise you'd do better applying an ice pack (covered in a cloth cover or towel) to reduce the swelling.

Offline Genki_rockets

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 11:27:32 PM »
I tried wearing socks but wearing socks really dulls the feedback and I also lose control of the prosthesis, however slight.  So instead, i've glued two soft wedges inside the socket (one left and one right) to make the socket tighter fitting.  However, this creates spaces in areas that are not covered by wedges.

I thought about laying off on golf until the new socket but I am an AK and golf is about the only fun thing I can do.  It's not like I can go out and play tag football.  So I am really torn between keep taking pain pills vs. taking it easy for two more weeks.

I am mostly concerned whether keeping this up could cause serious injury, something like internal infection or tearing something inside of the stump.

I called my doctor and he's like, what are you doing?  stop using your prosthetic immediately.  He has no idea how not being able to use our legs mean basically being confined at home.    :( 

Offline Minerva

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 07:17:04 AM »
I called my doctor and he's like, what are you doing?  stop using your prosthetic immediately.  He has no idea how not being able to use our legs mean basically being confined at home.    :( 

Well, hello! ;) When almost everyone is telling you to stop doing something, do you think it may be the tiniest bit sensible to do as they suggest?  ::)

Your doctor may not know what the frustration is like but he does know the damage you could be doing. I'm not sure about your medical history, but you could (if you were, say, diabetic) lose more of your leg if you continued to do what you're doing. Even if you're healthy you could do some real damage. The pain is natures' way of saying 'Stop being a brave soldier and stay off your leg.' Basically, there's a very real chance that you could be doing something dangerous.

Yes, it's frustrating, but you need to avoid damaging your body and give it time to heal. :)

Offline Genki_rockets

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 11:07:22 PM »
Minerva, thanks for your advice.  Since last night, my stump began hurting non-stop (even after taking lyrica) and i just stopped using my leg.  Just not worth the risk, i guess.  You are indeed wise as your name suggests.  :)

Offline Minerva

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 04:57:16 AM »
Minerva, thanks for your advice.  Since last night, my stump began hurting non-stop (even after taking lyrica) and i just stopped using my leg.  Just not worth the risk, i guess.  You are indeed wise as your name suggests.  :)

No problem.  :) I'm glad you're giving it a rest. Try to remember that it's only temporary, and try to get your exercise another way, whilst you're legless (e.g. swimming). :)

And, thanks for the compliment. :) To be truthful, I only chose the name because I was reading the Harry Potter series at the time.  ;)

Offline Ally

• RAK South Africa
    • View Profile
    • Personal RAK Website
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 05:15:56 AM »
Oof, shame man....

But you know, if this leg is hurting you so much that you have to take Lyrica (can be a very nasty little med), then that should be a very good reason not to overdo it.

I have worn an old and "too big" socket while waiting for a new one.  My activity level dropped drastically, but at least I could get a cup of tea from the kitched to the lounge.  ;)

All the best,
Ally
Courage does not always roar.  Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying "I will try again tomorrow."

Offline guzzitx

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 10:33:12 PM »
I'm up to 14 ply socks now, my stump has shrunk considerably as I walk more and more.
How much is "too much"?
I'm getting stronger by the day, so it all seems good to me now.

Offline Robogirl

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 11:26:11 PM »
Wow! :o    If I were in 14-ply, I'd be a mess!   :'(    You MUST be strong!
Everyone is different, and the fact that you are still walking around in that many socks (double what most AK's can wear before needing a new socket) just amazes me.  However, your proprioception is no longer good, and by continuing to golf/take meds you are really endangering your limb!  I say, ask you CP to please put your new socket at the top of his "to do" list.

I'm a golfer myself, and know how good it feels to be out there, but trading it for a little swimming for a just a while might be an OK change?  :) 

"The race does not always go to the swift, but often to those who keep on running."

Offline Ally

• RAK South Africa
    • View Profile
    • Personal RAK Website
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 03:10:19 AM »
I'm up to 14 ply socks now, my stump has shrunk considerably as I walk more and more.
How much is "too much"?
I'm getting stronger by the day, so it all seems good to me now.

In my last socket, I was wearing 10 ply.  My CP raised his eyebrows....time for a new socket.

It's a tricky question.  Too much is when the socket bothers you and hurts you.  In my humble and completely thumb sucked opinion, 14 sounds like a lot......quite a lot really.....

I'm an AK - 10 has been my limit.  And thinking back, I did sort of OK with that, but it wasn't spectacular.  It certainly indicated that the socket was far too big!

Luck
xx
Courage does not always roar.  Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying "I will try again tomorrow."

Offline Minerva

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 04:34:30 AM »
Wow! :o    If I were in 14-ply, I'd be a mess!   :'(    You MUST be strong!
Everyone is different, and the fact that you are still walking around in that many socks (double what most AK's can wear before needing a new socket) just amazes me.  However, your proprioception is no longer good, and by continuing to golf/take meds you are really endangering your limb!  I say, ask you CP to please put your new socket at the top of his "to do" list.

I'm a golfer myself, and know how good it feels to be out there, but trading it for a little swimming for a just a while might be an OK change?  :) 

I think you may have confused Genki with guzzi?!   ::)

I agree about the lack of proprioception, though. :) With more socks you also suffer from a reduction in control. 

Offline guzzitx

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 06:27:03 AM »
I don't golf, I don't  take meds(other than a certain corn-based nectar from Kentucky).  I am BKA. The Texas heat also has me fighting liner fitment issues(not-so pleasant sounds while walking).
Mat be time for new liner and socket.

Offline Robogirl

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 08:58:28 AM »

Minerva is right, I thought Guzzi was Genki!    :-[

Now I understand how you can get by with 14-ply, Guzzi, but from what you describe, it's time for a new socket.

Sorry for the mix-up.  That's what I get for logging on to forums when I can't sleep!  LOL
"The race does not always go to the swift, but often to those who keep on running."