Author Topic: Am I doing something dangerous?  (Read 4243 times)

Offline Genki_rockets

• View Profile
Re: Am I doing something dangerous?
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2009, 10:03:17 AM »
well, Robogirl, my echelon blew out also so it's not even the socket issue anymore.  totally sucks.  echelon is the only ankle (other than proprio which is a total crap) that adjusts to terrain and the best ankle right now but perhaps it has design flaws. 

i only learned to walk downhill and uphill with echelon and i just can't do it with non-adjusting ankle.  well, maybe i can with proprio but it's microprocessor does not react fast enough.  i am not sure if anyone who initially got proprio is still using it.  hahaha

it's gonna totally suck if it turns out that echelon hydraulic problem cannot be fixed and the ankle needs to be withdrawn from the market.   :(

Offline Robogirl

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2009, 03:38:08 PM »
I know what you mean about the Echelon....it is absolutely the best for going up and down inclines.

Is this the first time the hydraulics have failed?  How long have you had the foot? 
"The race does not always go to the swift, but often to those who keep on running."

Offline Genki_rockets

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2009, 10:08:54 PM »
I got mine in Jan. of 08 & I believe I was one of the very first beta testers in the U.S.  I was actually given a prototype and I was hoping that hydraulic failing would only affect prototypes.  But apparently, some other amputees who later got their regular echelons are reporting the same problem; hydraulic blowing out.  So I am really worried right now.

College Park's iPed is still a good year away and according to College Park rep, it's a crap just like proprio anyhow.  -.-;;

God, please give me another eschelon and i swear i won't charge uphill with my lawnmower this time.

oh, btw, i heard a funny rumor today about the new c-leg that was supposed to come out this year.  u know the one u can walk up stair step over step, run, swim in salt water, gives u 10 different modes, and 150 hrs. of continous use.  those were the requirements Otto Bock promised DARPA to get the funding in 07 but it ain't gonna happen anytime soon.  and that German dude who was demonstrating how he could run with the new C-leg at Walter Reed, well, it turns out he's just a super amputee who can run with a pegleg.  LOL.  i am not sure if that's true but that's what i heard.  ;)

Offline Robogirl

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2009, 10:37:12 PM »
Yeesh!  That doesn't sound good.  I once had a hydraulic knee unit that kept blowing out.  I loved it because it was small and light, but it didn't hold up.  Otto Bock kept replacing/rebuilding it for me, though, until they found a fix.  Hopefully that is what will happen with the Echelon. They offer an excellent warranty - will replace, not just repair, the entire foot during the warranty period, which is for 3 years.

Re the new C-leg, I know someone who works at Walter Reed who has seen it in "action" and it supposedly does some of what you describe, but not all (ie., salt water swimming, walking up stairs).  He said it'll probably be available to "the rest of us" at the end of this year.
"The race does not always go to the swift, but often to those who keep on running."

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2009, 08:10:21 AM »
 Genki,
                                                                                                                   Oh my,  lets hope the rest of them are OK...sure wouldn't want to give up mine.  :(   It walks so beautifuly.  I was out by my koi pond yesterday..walking on uneven ground & gravel..I think it's the greatest thing that I have worn.  :)

Offline Genki_rockets

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2009, 12:12:49 PM »
well Ann, i am glad u like your eschelon and i hope yours doesn't blow out like mine.  it's the best ankle/foot right now on the market but the company (Endolite) isn't that bright though.  in the U.S., Endolite wants to charge $4,500 for it but medicare and insurance companies will only pay up to $4,000.00.  Since medicare and insurance doesn't cover the product, most of amputees in the U.S. can't get it.

i am like duh...  if Endolite just lower the price by $500, eschelon will become a standard issue for BK & AK amputees since nothing else comes close. but no. Endolite wants to collect that extra $500.  Endolite just can't do math, i guess.  what's better? selling 50,000 units per year at $4,000 or selling 50 units per year at $4,500?  LOL.  i just don't get some ppl working in the O&P industry.     

and Robogirl, your friend may have seen that German dude running around with C-leg but he could have been running around with pegleg just as well. hahaha  guess we'll just have to wait & see if Otto Bock delivers.