Author Topic: Karma  (Read 8394 times)

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
Dear Admin,

I notice with interest, and some amusement, that my Karma score is -1 when it was (and everyone else seems to be) zero.

What does the Karma score mean, and how is this calculated? or is there some form of human input?

jmoore

Re: Karma
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 11:48:16 AM »
i was going to ask what is that karma thing there is someone that should be a neg 20 for the attitude, do we click on it to vote?

Offline pyourke

• BAK - Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 12:53:51 PM »
Me too... I was curious what it meant also, and what it was based on? :-\
Peter
BAK since '74

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 01:34:27 PM »
Seems like I'm the only one that needs to worry at the moment :D

Offline Sparky

• Derbyshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 02:08:39 PM »
Ian, at least someone has thought enough about you to give you a rating :).

In Buddhist teaching, the law of karma, says only this: `for every event that occurs, there will follow another event whose existence was caused by the first, and this second event will be pleasant or unpleasant according as its cause was skillful or unskillful.' A skillful event is one that is not accompanied by craving, resistance or delusions; an unskillful event is one that is accompanied by any one of those things. (Events are not skillful in themselves, but are so called only in virtue of the mental events that occur with them.)
Therefore, the law of Karma teaches that responsibility for unskillful actions is born by the person who commits them.

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 04:09:40 AM »
Ian, at least someone has thought enough about you to give you a rating :).

In Buddhist teaching, the law of karma, says only this: `for every event that occurs, there will follow another event whose existence was caused by the first, and this second event will be pleasant or unpleasant according as its cause was skillful or unskillful.' A skillful event is one that is not accompanied by craving, resistance or delusions; an unskillful event is one that is accompanied by any one of those things. (Events are not skillful in themselves, but are so called only in virtue of the mental events that occur with them.)
Therefore, the law of Karma teaches that responsibility for unskillful actions is born by the person who commits them.

:D that's cleared that up then!

Thanks for your positive slant Mark  ;)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 04:12:10 AM by Oneblueleg »

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 04:39:19 AM »
OK people, in the absence of admin to answer, I played a bit... under our names I've noticed 'applaud' and 'smile', these seem to increase your Karma ratings... you can't do it to yourself though.

During my experimentation I applauded you Marilyn, I hope you don't mind ;)

Offline Sparky

• Derbyshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 07:52:47 AM »
under our names I've noticed 'applaud' and 'smile', these seem to increase your Karma ratings... you can't do it to yourself though.

The applaud and smile do not appear under any names on my browser.

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 09:05:21 AM »
under our names I've noticed 'applaud' and 'smile', these seem to increase your Karma ratings... you can't do it to yourself though.

The applaud and smile do not appear under any names on my browser.

They are under the 'Karma' that appears under the names on mine ???

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 10:13:00 AM »
OBL, sorry that i didn't figure it out sooner, but it is a way to let you know that some has read your posts, like just now i hit your applaud and you now have a +1
you-all have a great day.

Offline Sparky

• Derbyshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 10:58:11 AM »
OBL  PLJ, I do not have that option, I can see the Karma ratings but cannot vote.
Karma isn't mentioned in the 'Help' section either?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 11:00:49 AM by Sparky »

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2008, 11:10:29 AM »
OBL  PLJ, I do not have that option, I can see the Karma ratings but cannot vote.

Please don't have a go at me for stating the obvious and I'm sure you realise this, but... you can't see it under your own name, only under other people's... can you see it under other's names?

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2008, 11:11:54 AM »
OBL, sorry that i didn't figure it out sooner, but it is a way to let you know that some has read your posts, like just now i hit your applaud and you now have a +1

I don't get that... surely it's only if you like 'smile' or love 'applaud' their post? not just that you've read it?

jmoore

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2008, 11:26:45 AM »
i do not like this karma thing we can not make everyone happy we post what we feel is import to us and other people help us out or they do not, but letting people vote on what we say i feel is not right if you do not like the post do not read it but to have someone put  i have bad karma just does not sit well with me.

Offline Sparky

• Derbyshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2008, 12:04:50 PM »

can you see it under other's names?

That is where I'm looking - nothing.

I agree with jmoore, what is there to be gained by voting for or against someone's post.  If I like what someone has written I will post and say so and if I don't like what has been written I'll post a reasoned argument. That way everyone knows what makes me happy and what doesn't. The Karma scoring doesn't show why or what for.