Author Topic: members?????  (Read 9630 times)

Offline Mitchee

• Oshkosh, WI
    • View Profile
Re: members?????
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2009, 08:44:31 PM »
Mitchee,

And what are you going to plant in that black dirt?     
BTW anyone know how to get rid of moles?? 

Thanks for asking what I'm planting.  I've decide to plant Pink Lily of the Valley under the Maple tree.  I finally have all of the {dead} Blue Rug Juniper dug out and the black dirt filled in.  I just bought 50 Pink Lily of the Valley bulbs and I'll plant them later this week.  I'm also planting 30 Firewitch (Cheddar Pink) Dianthus plants in front of the house where some more {dead} Blue Rug Juniper used to be.   :)

Have you tried a product called Mole-Relief? 
Quote from Henry Field's Seed & Nursery Co. Spring 2009 catalog...  "It's an all natural product that produces an odor that moles hate.  Apply on wet or dry lawns every two months.  Nontoxic for use around children and pets.  32 oz. treats 10,000 sq. ft."  The cost is $19.95 USD + shipping.

If you're interested... www.HenryFields.com or call 513-354-1494.  I'm sure that it is probably also available at many other retailers or Ebay.

IMHO... cats are not a good solution, cats should live 100% indoors.  Cats that are let outdoors to roam are exposed to fleas, worms, disease, predators and poisons that cats would normally not be exposed to if they lived 100% indoors.

Good luck with your mole problem. 

Michelle
Initial injury:  July 1985
Amputation:  December 2006 - Ertl LBKA

"The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."
 -Lao Tzu

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2009, 10:33:55 PM »
Mitchee,

I love Lily of the Valley.  I have them planted around my back porch.  Love the smell everytime I walk out the door...mine are white. In my opinion { Good Choice}

With the juicy fruit gum {PLJ} this item from fields nursery & the lion dung, I should have a ripe smelling back yard  ;)  with no moles.

Have a good one !!

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2009, 10:34:48 PM »
Dick,

Offline Minerva

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2009, 04:29:07 AM »

IMHO... cats are not a good solution, cats should live 100% indoors.  Cats that are let outdoors to roam are exposed to fleas, worms, disease, predators and poisons that cats would normally not be exposed to if they lived 100% indoors.

What?!?!  ???  :o

Michelle, love  :), cats are classed as wild animals and they are naturally noctural (just looking at their pupils will tell you that) ... I would go spare if I had a cat chasing around my home every night ... it's just not right!  :( Cats only stay with us because they want to ... probably because they find it easier to bully us into giving them food than to catch their own food.  :D

If they get poisoned then it's us at fault, not them. I protect my cat (and dog) against fleas, ticks, worms ...etc., by treating them regularly. By the way, these are things that we get exposed to too. Anyway, my cat loves going out chasing stuff and leaving presents (dung or not) in both my and other peoples' gardens.   ::)

Good idea about the mole deterent though.  :)  We'll have you smelly lovely, Ann!  :D

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2009, 09:07:52 AM »
The only cats that i have ever seen that did catch any moles or gophers were the barn cats that we had on the farm and they had to go out and find thier own food, the only thing they got from us was some milk in the morning while we were milking the 28 head and then at night they got some also for cows have to be milked twice a day.
you-all have a great day.

Offline Kep

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2009, 09:35:22 AM »

Quote from: Mitchee on May 10, 2009, 08:44:31 PM

IMHO... cats are not a good solution, cats should live 100% indoors. 

Indoor cats are pussies !!!!    ;D   ::)

Offline Minerva

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2009, 10:00:29 AM »

Quote from: Mitchee on May 10, 2009, 08:44:31 PM

IMHO... cats are not a good solution, cats should live 100% indoors. 

Indoor cats are pussies !!!!    ;D   ::)

:D

Offline Mitchee

• Oshkosh, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2009, 11:15:44 AM »
I'm sorry everyone, but I don't agree with letting cats outdoors.  I'll leave it at that.  We can agree to disagree.

Initial injury:  July 1985
Amputation:  December 2006 - Ertl LBKA

"The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."
 -Lao Tzu

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2009, 11:50:19 AM »
Dick,

I don't know what happened to the rest of my post...I was asking you if the wheelchair was a regular or electric.  Also told you to make sure your cup holder was large enough to hold a big longaberger cup for coffee.   :)

Offline tbrbeast

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2009, 04:43:30 PM »
Dick - there is a deer repellent made from the urine of cougar which at one time in the not all that distant past did roam PA.  Results are variable - lot of the timber companies and large landowners used it in the past with mixed results. 

I tend to lean to toward PLJs idea that you have gophers not moles. 

As for lion dung pellets, you might check with your local zoo.  In Portland, OR, you used to be able to buy fertilizer made from elephant dung (and I think you still can). 

As for other methods of mole or gopher control, check with your county extension agent or local wildlife agency (especially if they are gophers).  Sometimes a local parks department also can help.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2009, 06:24:53 PM »
Listen guys, how big is a gopher?  I have seen these little critters...very small {4 inches} flat feet, grayish in color & kinda' longish snout.

Haven't seen the little devils for almost a week....no digging.  I am keeping my fingers crossed that they have gone next door  ;D ;D

Offline Minerva

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2009, 07:09:21 AM »
Listen guys, how big is a gopher?  I have seen these little critters...very small {4 inches} flat feet, grayish in color & kinda' longish snout.

Come on, Ann!  ::) Do a Google and take a look somewhere like here ~ http://www.ehow.com/how_2131212_tell-difference-between-moles-gophers.html They look very different.  :D

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2009, 08:56:02 AM »
when living in CALIFRONIA, where i was having gopher problems have seen them this size, lenght about 6 to 8 inches long and he wieghed almost a 2 lbs. and had the biggest front teeth i had ever seen on a gopher, looked almost like a beaver.
you-all have a great day.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2009, 10:50:54 AM »

Come on, Ann!  ::) Do a Google and take a look somewhere like here ~ http://www.ehow.com/how_2131212_tell-difference-between-moles-gophers.html They look very different.  :D

We are alittle cranky, aren't we  ::)

Offline Tigertatts

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2009, 11:05:27 AM »
 Sounds like Ann has Moles to me, greyish 4in and long snout = mole to me.  I have moles in and around our flower beds  quite often, they like the soil since it is wet and moist and they are usually after the earthworms that I also see in the beds when we water.  I also have many many gophers and like Jack said here in Califorina some of them get just crazy big. I can generally tell a mole trail from a gopher hole. the gophers tend to make much deeper holes and I dont really see anything other than an exit hole where the push out the dirt.  The moles usually leave a trail just under the surface and you can see almost the entire trail where he was crusin along just under the surface often next to a border or edging looking for bugs and worms.

As far as cats, I have 7 cats and 4 of them are indoor/outdoor cats the other 3 stay out full time. Cats can be excellent rodent control but it all depends on the cat, each is his own. I have one cat that all he does it catch gophers, in the peak of summer he catches a gopher a day. I have another cat that all he catches are mice and he usually keeps them alive just to play with them but he only catches mice and mice type things. I have another cat that just hunts birds, I say hunt because it's very very rare that he actually gets one. Then some of the other cats i've never seen them catch a thing.