Author Topic: members?????  (Read 9564 times)

Offline pin-hi

• cool, clear water
    • View Profile
Re: members?????
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2009, 12:04:35 PM »
Still here in the great white north. Just back from a week in Arizona. Motorcycle trike build is underway and I'm itchin' to ride. Working 2 days a week and loving it. Golfing today at Victoria Golf Club. Busy, busy, busy. Sounds like everyone is doing well and keep your spirits up Joe A. !!!!!!!
pin-hi

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2009, 08:46:49 PM »
Hi Todd - sorry to hear about your dad's stroke. I wish him a speedy, complete recovery. Herb

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2009, 08:52:34 PM »
Hi Ann - one common reason for the presence of moles is an abundance of beetle grubs in the soil which the moles love to eat. If you are not averse to using pesticides, a chemical called trichlorfon will kill the grubs. It is a fast acting pesticide which is broken down in about a week. Herb

Offline Minerva

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2009, 05:56:14 AM »
Hi Ann - one common reason for the presence of moles is an abundance of beetle grubs in the soil which the moles love to eat. If you are not averse to using pesticides, a chemical called trichlorfon will kill the grubs. It is a fast acting pesticide which is broken down in about a week.

Trichlorfon is an organophosphate ... and there's nothing wrong with beetle grubs, Herb. Using that sort of stuff wrecks the food chain.  ::)

There must be much better ways of moving your moles on, Ann? :) Have you thought of borrowing (or even owning) a mole catching terrier? Or putting the dung of mole predators around, and in, the mole holes?

I personally think they're sweet little things and that we impose ourselves too much on nature, sometimes.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2009, 09:39:42 AM »
Well I can tell you one thing Minerva, this mole must be King Kong...his piles of dirt are unreal; they are so huge :(  Mighthy little guy...right now I'm holding my breath....maybe the vibrating thingy's are working.  Haven't seen any new ones for about a week.

I'm thinking about getting another cat...last one kept the mole population down.

Offline Minerva

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2009, 05:32:45 PM »
Well I can tell you one thing Minerva, this mole must be King Kong...his piles of dirt are unreal; they are so huge :(  Mighthy little guy...right now I'm holding my breath....maybe the vibrating thingy's are working.  Haven't seen any new ones for about a week.

I'm thinking about getting another cat...last one kept the mole population down.

A female farm cat would do the trick, Ann. :) Or, you could try lion dung pellets ... it seems they're very good at keep away unwanted little furries. ;)

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2009, 09:00:30 PM »
Minerva,

And where { pray tell} do I come up with lion dung   ;D :D ::)

Offline guzzitx

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2009, 11:22:38 PM »
Minerva,

Got any 3-legged hyenas in the neighborhood?
If so, I think Bob's yer Uncle.  ;D

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2009, 08:39:35 AM »
Ann, from what i read, you dont have moles, you have what we call gophers and yes they can pile the dirt up on you when they are making thier run, we had them bad when we lived in california, i traped and caught over 50 in one year alone and didnt do a bit of damage for the niegbhors didnt trap the ones in thier yards, and they breed like mice, so all i can say is good luck in getting rid of them. Just be careful when walking around  in your yard for if you step just right on  one of the runs your foot will sink into the ground and throw your balance off real fast.
you-all have a great day.

Offline Minerva

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2009, 08:53:49 AM »
Minerva,

Well, Ann, they sell the stuff over here, in the UK http://www.crocus.co.uk/product/_/tools/pest-control/silent-roar-lion-manure/classid.2000004185/, so I naturally assumed they sell the stuff over there?  ???  You should be able to get some of the stuff near wildlife parks that have big cats, I suppose?  ::)

Offline annieg

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2009, 08:41:36 PM »
That's what I so enjoy about this site!  We start off on one subject and the next thing is we're trying to find out where you can buy lion dung!  I love it.  This site is so helpful and friendly.  It is the best I've found on the web.  Thanks to all of you.  annieg
He who limps, still walks.

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2009, 10:49:31 PM »
Lion dung?  Does it work?   ???

When we had a wooded lot in PA we were plagued by deer eating the trees and bushes.  Someone suggested tiger urine to scare the deer away.  Suppoed to smell like "predator".  Yeah, right!  When is the last time a deer in Southeastern PA ever encountered a tiger in the wild??  A bear maybe, but hardly a tiger.  Lions neither.

You're right.  We certainly do get off-topic here, don't we?   :)
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline Minerva

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2009, 11:03:57 AM »
Lion dung?  Does it work?   ???

When we had a wooded lot in PA we were plagued by deer eating the trees and bushes.  Someone suggested tiger urine to scare the deer away.  Suppoed to smell like "predator".  Yeah, right!  When is the last time a deer in Southeastern PA ever encountered a tiger in the wild??  A bear maybe, but hardly a tiger.  Lions neither.

Don't knock it until you've tried it, Dick! Haven't you thought that perhaps the urine/dung from a major predator (from whatever continent) will contain certain hormones and odours that will warn herbivores not to stay around? After all, lions are carnivores and their dung will be quite a bit different to an herbivores' dung, won't it? And also, bears and cats are distantly related. ::)

Anyway, how come some of us are allowed to go off topic and others aren't?   :-\

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2009, 12:48:15 PM »

Sorry, this one was my fault...Moles...remember??  But I wanted to know what our members were doing...since the posting was down.  ;)

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2009, 06:55:46 PM »
Ann:

I, for one was not out hunting bears or collecting lion dung.....

I did buy a new wheelchair, and am "customizing" to suit me.  Also, just finished a 2-day church meeting ..... celebtating Mother's Day, and all that good stuff.  Beyond that, nothing earth-shakin' here.

Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA