Author Topic: Of interest to those in Pa. or thinking of retirement  (Read 7052 times)

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
Re: Of interest to those in Pa. or thinking of retirement
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2009, 01:35:11 PM »
PL Jack:

Sounds like we're in similar retirement situations.  We've worked out our own retirement plans - probably a one-of-a-kind combination.  Doing reasonably well, financially, even with the recent/current Economic Crunch.  Our financial ship-of-state is still afloat, but with less "water under the keel" -- less than we had hoped, but at least we're not owing anyone.

I continued working after my amputations and other "medical adventures some 8-9 years ago.  But when I turned 70 last year, decided it was a ripe time to retire - and am enjoying the easier pace.
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2009, 06:38:43 PM »
Dick, i didnt have all my stuff tied up in the stock market like a lot of our old friends did and they lost a bundle, had the mojority of ours in CD'S, which have lost some interest but is not enough to hurt us. we know of a couple of our freinds that have had to sell thier house and move in with other releitives just to make end meet, just like last night it was hotter that hadies down here so i took the little wife out to dinner so that she wouldnt have to be in the hot kitchen cooking, and didnt have to worry were i was going to get the money to pay for it, or if it would hurt us in paying our bills.
you-all have a great day.

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2009, 12:05:20 PM »
Yes, Jack.  The secret to wise investing:  Diversify, diversify, diversify.  Spread the goodies around in enough baskets.

We try to balance things out:  living reasonably frugal, yet not being afraid to enjoy life.  One splurge is attneding the ACA Conference in Atlanta (this coming week).  Later in Summer, a vacation trip to New England.

All-in-all, we're doing OK.   :)
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA