Author Topic: 5 year old Ellie May has a spring in her step with 'Cheetah' legs  (Read 3267 times)

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
Re: 5 year old Ellie May has a spring in her step with 'Cheetah' legs
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 07:50:21 AM »
Life can be so unfair. She looks like she has the spirit needed for the difficulties she will be facing. It makes the difficulties most of us face seem pretty minor. Herb

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 11:33:48 PM »
 :'( :'(   What alittle sweetheart!!

Offline Ally

• RAK South Africa
    • View Profile
    • Personal RAK Website
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 03:31:11 AM »
Aw, little poppet!

She looks like she's got the spirit to get through this....and teach loads of people life-lessons while she goes along.

Thanks for sharing this special story.
 :)
Courage does not always roar.  Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying "I will try again tomorrow."

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 02:58:48 PM »
Aw, little poppet!

She looks like she's got the spirit to get through this....and teach loads of people life-lessons while she goes along.

Thanks for sharing this special story.
 :)

Ally,

What does the avatar mean?  It looks as if someone is falling out of a wheelchair { but what is the meaning}   ???

Offline stinker373

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 07:58:35 PM »
Wow what a story.  Glad to hear she is being taken care of.

Offline Ally

• RAK South Africa
    • View Profile
    • Personal RAK Website
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 05:29:12 AM »

Ally,

What does the avatar mean?  It looks as if someone is falling out of a wheelchair { but what is the meaning}   ???

LOL - dare I say it...............  sh*t happens......my sense of humour often leaves a lot to be desired.

Eish, sorry........ ::)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 05:31:14 AM by Ally »
Courage does not always roar.  Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying "I will try again tomorrow."

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 09:33:26 AM »

Ally,

LOL - dare I say it...............  sh*t happens......my sense of humour often leaves a lot to be desired.

Eish, sorry........ ::)

Hey Ally, don't be sorry....I was just wondering if it meant what I though it did.  And I love your sense of humour   {sh*t}  does happen.   ;)

Offline Minerva

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 11:46:43 AM »
I think the story is lovely (thanks for posting it, Steve) and she's a pretty little thing, but ... I hate to say this, but ... how are they going to afford a lifetime of cheetah's?  ???

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 04:04:16 PM »
Minerva, if i am not wrong those cheetah's up to a point be transferred to a new or her next set of legs providing there is no cracks in the carbon fiber that they are made of, and at some point in time yes i feel that she is going to have to have a bigger set made, and a person at here age and growing like they do, it will cost a fortune to keep up with her, in sockets alone,
you-all have a great day.

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 06:04:03 PM »
I think the story is lovely (thanks for posting it, Steve) and she's a pretty little thing, but ... I hate to say this, but ... how are they going to afford a lifetime of cheetah's?  ???

I obviously don't know for sure, but I'd say she would have cheetahs for a maybe a few years more. At her age she'll need something to run around in, but they aren't really designed for just walking. I would think she's get 'regular' legs at some point.
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline Ally

• RAK South Africa
    • View Profile
    • Personal RAK Website
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009, 10:41:43 PM »
Playing devil's advocate..................they better keep her going......oh yes, they must.

You SO don't do this and then disappear.

<hopes valiantly>

:-X

Offline Minerva

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2009, 07:52:25 AM »
Jack & Steve ~ yes, they could transfer the cheetahs between limbs if there was no damage, but it would depend upon her weight (components are usually prescribed with activity levels and weight in mind) ... she's going to grow, so her weight will increase.

My concern is that her current limbs are from Dorset Orthopaedic, which are a private company. When she out grows those limbs, what will happen then? The NHS is pretty short of cash (some centres won't prescribe Farabloc and many won't prescribe C-legs, even to bilateral AK's), so I do wonder if cheetahs at her age are a good idea? I mean, it's bad enough learning to walk on conventional limbs, but to learn to walk and run on cheetahs and then suddenly not to have them ... it's cruel IMHO.

But, there again, I suppose a lifetime's fundraising may help?  ;) 

Offline Annie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 08:41:13 AM »
Jack & Steve ~ yes, they could transfer the cheetahs between limbs if there was no damage, but it would depend upon her weight (components are usually prescribed with activity levels and weight in mind) ... she's going to grow, so her weight will increase.

My concern is that her current limbs are from Dorset Orthopaedic, which are a private company. When she out grows those limbs, what will happen then? The NHS is pretty short of cash (some centres won't prescribe Farabloc and many won't prescribe C-legs, even to bilateral AK's), so I do wonder if cheetahs at her age are a good idea? I mean, it's bad enough learning to walk on conventional limbs, but to learn to walk and run on cheetahs and then suddenly not to have them ... it's cruel IMHO.

But, there again, I suppose a lifetime's fundraising may help?  ;) 

I kind of share your concerns Minerva, and have seen a few children in this part of the world who have had money raised for them to buy limbs from different private companies.  Do worry what happens when the money runs out,  and perhaps the possibility of being unable to have the type of limbs which enabled certain activities or were cosmetically superior, maybe when they are hitting their teenage years.

Actually witnessed something similar to this within the NHS quite a few years back when new types of feet were being introduced, and a teenager was told she could no longer to have the type of foot that enabled her to do a certain activity - because they didn't make it in an adult size which she at that point needed.

That said though, I have sat in a few fittings rooms myself unable to get comfortable limbs, and as a parent if it was one of my children needing limbs which the NHS could not deliver on, I think I would also be seeking alternatives for them to have the best that they could have to make them mobile and would probably be thinking more short term than long term.

Just hope they can keep the fundraising going for her.