Author Topic: update on getting my new legs  (Read 18583 times)

Offline ann

• View Profile
Re: update on getting my new legs
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2009, 11:37:57 AM »
 :(

PLJ.

I am so sorry about your dog...I had a basset that ate some of my houseplants and that is exactly the way he acted.  It poisoned him..they got him in time though.

Another thing I thought of...did he have his parvo{sp} shots?  And so glad you are about to get some wheels!!

Offline Mitchee

• Oshkosh, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2009, 02:48:33 PM »
PLJ, I'm sorry to hear about your dog.  I agree with Ann's post, it sounds like maybe he got into something he shouldn't have.  Perhaps antifreeze?  It is a very common poison to cats and dogs.  Regardless, I'm sorry about your dog.  Pets are family members and it is difficult to say goodbye.  It's hard to be a good pet owner and know when to say goodbye and make the painful decision to help them cross the rainbow bridge with dignity.  You gave your dog a loving and caring home and he loved you for it.  As you know, your heart will heal with time.  My thoughts are with you.

Michelle
Initial injury:  July 1985
Amputation:  December 2006 - Ertl LBKA

"The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."
 -Lao Tzu

Offline Mitchee

• Oshkosh, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2009, 02:59:03 PM »
PLJ, it's nice to hear some good news from you.  Hopefully you will have your new car with your hand controls very soon.  I hope you and your wife are healing from the accident.  Hopefully the stiffness and soreness are diminishing. 

Don't worry about getting your new legs.  It will happen.  I went thru a dozen temporary sockets and one definitive socket before I finally got the carbon fiber socket I have now.  It seemed like every socket needed to be modified and/or my residual limb kept changing.  After 14 months I finally ended up with what I consider to be a perfect fitting socket.  You will get there.  Hang in there.

Michelle

-Lao Tzu

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2009, 04:28:01 PM »
Here is the latest, havent got my legs yet, went monday to get them but the sockets didnt fit right so i didnt get to wear them. Go in next monday the 27, and hopefully will get them then.

The insurance company came through and gave me a good price for my old car, and we have the new one and they also payed for my hand controls so now i am all set up and am driving it, it has some items that we didnt have on the old one and one is cruise control, and that is a real big help if driving for a long time and distance. and also found out that my insurance went down on the newer car. not much but what the heck every little bet helps out.
you-all have a great day.

Offline Ally

• RAK South Africa
    • View Profile
    • Personal RAK Website
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2009, 10:44:10 PM »
Your "latest" sounds like fantastic news J.

Whoooohooooo < does happy dance for Jack!
 :D
Courage does not always roar.  Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying "I will try again tomorrow."

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2009, 08:37:24 AM »
HIP, HIP HORRAY, got my test legs yesterday and what a differance, am walking a lot straighter and standing tall not leaned over liike i was with my old ones, going to take some time to get used to the vac system and haveing to put on the sleeve, and the renegade feet i got with the system is WOW, all ready fallen in love with them, found out that i can walk down slight inclines with out having to crab foot it down and stairs i have found out are easier now that my legs fit tight, now when i move my stumps my legs go with them right away, didnt have that with the pin/lock system. And am only using half of the amount of vac that can be used, have them set at 10 and they feel tight as i set here and vent this out this morning. also i can drive for a long distance and not have to take my legs off like i had to before, cause i dont have the pinching behind my knees like before. if everthing works out this week will get my carbon sockets next week or the week after.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2009, 10:56:33 AM »
 ;)

PLJ, I am so glad your world is looking better for you.  See, I told you I thought you would love a vacuum system...I haven't tried that one, but they are much tighter, no wobbling around IMHO.  Enjoy.   :)

Offline Mitchee

• Oshkosh, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2009, 11:29:20 AM »
That's great news PLJ! I'm looking forward to hearing about your new adventures with your new legs.   :)

-Lao Tzu

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2009, 07:49:19 PM »
That is great news Jack. Hope that they are both comfortable perfect fits. I went in today to get recast and was told that while I have been on crutches since last January, there has been significant contracture of the muscles and I can no longer hold my residual leg straight. I have to do exercises to try to straighten them out. A transformer caught fire today at my prosthetist's building, so they could not complete my test socket. Herb

Offline annieg

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2009, 11:48:46 AM »
Great news Jack.  New legs and a new car.  Sounds like your transportations systems are really working- lol.  Annieg
He who limps, still walks.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2009, 08:46:34 AM »
well its been almost week now and you anit gonna believe this, have had to add a 2 ply sock to my right leg and a single ply to my left leg, that is how much i have shrunck since i got them and still have a great fit and am getting used to the knew feet, i am able to stand and walk longer than before, so i know i have made a good choice, sometimes have trouble getting a good seal on my right leg usually takes me two times to get it right, but am learning what it takes to do all of this. Need a seperate suitcase just for all of my battery chargers and legs extras now, two for my legs,  one for my cell, and one form my razor. it is a great feeling to get a pair of legs that really fit and fit good, and i am somewhat a test person for my leg man cause this is the first time he has attemted to make this type of system.
Ann, you are right no wobbling when i move my stump my legs go with it, so that gives me better control when walking.

Also found out that the tech that made my sockets is also a right BKA, So there is another plus, and he has done this type of system before so that also helps, that old saying been there done that comes to play.

My nest appointment is the 5 of may.

Offline Tigertatts

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2009, 10:32:03 PM »
 Jack- 
        What sleeves are you using with your new Limblogic legs?

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2009, 09:03:04 AM »
Tigartatts, right now i am using the OWW ALPHA FLEX SLEEVE and they seem to be doing okay, the only problem i am having is getting it to seal between my socket and the vacuum unit, other than that i love them, am walking a lot better and seem to have better  control when walking, the system give a faster response when i move my legs.

Offline Tigertatts

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2009, 07:55:48 PM »
I had 3 different OWW Alpha Flex Sleeves and they all failed with in a week or 2 of use. one was defective and we returned it and it's replacement NEVER did seal right, not knowing any better i would of thought i had a leak between my socket and the pump but it was the sleeve that was again defective right out of the box, has a pin hole in it somewhere in the cloth area where you can't see it. Anyways I would suggest trying the Otto Bock Derma Proflex Sleeves. They are MUCH thinner and flex about 3 times better than tha Alpha sleeves, the otto bock sleeve is also ALOT stronger and lighter at the same time allowing much better knee bend. As i messaged you before, myself and a friend of mine using this system both have found the O-Ring between the pump and the socket to be faulty and leaks. I have found the best test to see where the leak is, is to use electrical tape and tape up the hole in the bottom of the socket, if the pump continues to run I used a thick hand lotion (or vasoline works too) to fill the gap on the outside of the socket and the pump. I filled the entire gap around the pump/socket joint and got the pump to hold full vacuum. If you can get the pump to stop running and hold vaccum this way then you can slowly wipe off the lotion till you find the area of the leak. By taping the hole in the bottom of the socket you can issolate just the pump and the connection to the socket. If the pump holds vacuum after taping the hole up then your leak will be in the socket itself (possible crack or hole in the lamination) or in the sleeve.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2009, 08:53:10 AM »
tIGERTATTS, we are doing this same thing, only i cant use the vaseline yet because the units are loaners and i dont get mine until friday the 15th, am just about ready to use some locktite super glue around the seal area and seal them permantly, but then agian it will void the warranty on them so i was told, and even using RTV and not OOW'S will also void it on use, so we were told. Will find out more on friday when i go in to have my units changed and will pass on to him about useing vaseline and see what he says.

THANKS for all of the information, for both of us are new at this, this is the first pair that he has made, and is using me as a guinee pig so to speak.