Author Topic: Heel pain  (Read 5229 times)

Offline Minerva

• View Profile
Re: Heel pain
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2009, 01:03:55 PM »
Good Orthotics could well help (but could be costly to see an orthotist or podiatrist).

You could try prescribing yourself some  insoles such as Silicone Heel Cups such as these ---->

Seeing as you say you're a healthcare professional, you should know better than to suggest self-prescribing!  :o Good grief, whatever next! DIY prosthetics?  ::)

LOL, i think orthotists charge too much for their services... i know they gotta make a living and all, but in recent years its all too common for orthotists to sell stock items for largely inflated prices or charging someone a small fortune for an hour of their time... and i don't think thats right!

There are loads of insoles that claim to improve your feet and such, i was just trying to suggest a recognised clinical soloution to plantarfasciitis that might benefit someone suffering from it. 

Acute plantar fasciitis is a fairly easy thing to treat ~ rest, gentle weightbearing exercise, ice, anti-inflammatories and appropriate insoles/orthotics, if necessary.

Chronic plantar fasciitis, on the other hand, is one of the hardest things to effectively treat, because of all the internal scarring of the plantar fascia.

Acute plantar fasciitis can easily become chronic with inappropriate treatment and IMHO orthotic self-treatment is inappropriate as it's rarely satisfactory.

Sadly, poorly managed plantar fasciitis can, in worst case senarios, become sudex atrophy aka Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy.

Anyway, if you search around, in the UK or Eire, you should be able to find a decent podiatrist who won't charge you the earth for an orthotic. Not sure about orthotists, though - they're an entirely different kettle of fish!  ::) 

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2009, 07:17:04 AM »
I can feel it this morning but its very slight. I tend to think its on the way out now. Thanks everyone for the advice! I think I'll check out the inserts. No harm, I have flat feet anyhow and should be wearing them!
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline Minerva

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2009, 03:51:21 AM »
I can feel it this morning but its very slight. I tend to think its on the way out now. Thanks everyone for the advice! I think I'll check out the inserts. No harm, I have flat feet anyhow and should be wearing them!

Don't blokes ever listen to women?  ???

Steve, if you want to maintain the status quo, just leave well enough alone. Medial arch supports are OK, but things seem to be settling down and you may flare it up again ... and, anyway, you probably need a certain type (there are various types of 'flat feet' & some types don't do well with arch supports). The heel pads are only OK if you're in stage two of plantar fasciitis, and I doubt whether you're in that as it's resolving.

I'd bet that you injured your foot and didn't give it enough time to heal properly before you started walking on it properly again.  ::)  You have to remember that your remaining foot is going to be taking a lot more stresses than one on a biped, so you need to treat it with TLC. :)

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2009, 01:09:55 PM »
Steve,

Why so quiet?  Not posting much.  Is it because of your babies or your heel pain.  I'll come over & rub your foot for you.   :-*  And BTW what happened to your girlfriend?  Inquiring minds want to know  ???

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2009, 04:45:49 AM »
The heel pain is doing really well. I forgot about icing it but I did get a shoe insert.

Ann you bold woman. You best stay over there. I wouldn't want to start any mad rumours over here with the foot rubbing. I've been quiet because my brother and his wife have been over. HAving a great time, haven't seen him for 5 years.

Girlfriend? I acquired single status a while back.
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2009, 12:36:34 PM »
 Steve,

How's the heel coming along?  And your babies?????

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2009, 01:11:49 PM »
The foals are getting bigger by the day. The heel is completely back to normal. I'm doing everything I did before. Happy days

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2009, 08:18:43 PM »

Good !!