Author Topic: heterotopic ossification anyone?  (Read 5029 times)

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: heterotopic ossification anyone?
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2009, 09:44:44 AM »
Joe, your not reffering to those people over in ASIA, that have thier legs cut and then spaced and let the bone grow back just so that they are a inch or so taller, read about and thought that they had to have a few screws loose in the head to do it, i am 5 foot 10inches, and now that i am a bilaterial, i can grow up to almost any hiegth i would like but am happy with the way i am right now, it is too late in the game to make my self taller and am getting to the age, i sure dont need it.
you-all have a great day.

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2009, 07:29:51 PM »
How was the heterotopic ossification diagnosed? did you have a MRI or sougram? just curious. Thanks! :)

Offline Genki_rockets

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2009, 09:18:10 PM »
took an X-ray.  X-ray shows bone growth. how was it diagnosed?  after hearing my complaint, my prosthetist felt that i needed to take an X-ray. ^^

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2009, 03:22:29 PM »
Thanks, I was just wondering as I have a lot of pain too. My prosthetist is not sure if its a neuroma or not. I have had 3 nerve blocks that didn't work and have been to  many pain management Dr.s. I tried farabloc, and meds that did not help either. I also change voume quite a bit.

Offline Genki_rockets

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2009, 12:17:11 AM »
oh.. sorry to hear that snowbear.   

hmm.... major hospitals have pretty sophisticated diagnostics that can isolate where your pain is coming from, never by nerve.  to be honest, the level of sophistication and ability of pain management teams vary greatly. (it's funding issue really.  some pain management teams just cannot afford the latest digital equipments w computer analysis & still relies on u know the old technique of "lets just try this & see if it works") knowing what i know, i would only trust the nationally reputable pain management team at a major hospital.

hope u can sort it out and get rid of your pain quickly.  having to deal w pain is no fun. 

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2009, 06:01:33 AM »
It could also be that I had many surgeries before the amputation on my leg since infancy. And the more damage to the limb before amputation the more pain a amputee has after even though the leg is gone, I had operations since 8 months old that included bone graphs, pins, rods, fixates, nuts and blots in the leg. Its very infected which is what eventually lead to the infection that caused the amputation.

Offline chrysochloridae

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2009, 05:45:59 AM »
Snow, they should be able to diagnose a Neuroma with an Ultrasound. If you get a diagnosis  then they can block it (will find out the name of the injection) or remove it surgically

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2009, 04:23:29 PM »
Snow, they should be able to diagnose a Neuroma with an Ultrasound. If you get a diagnosis  then they can block it (will find out the name of the injection) or remove it surgically

Believe it or not I had 3 nerve blocks and they didn't work. The needles are huge! Surgery is not a option for me right now I'm  bit worn put form them  the amputation was number 18 on my leg. :o I just do the best I can, someday I may have it removed.