Author Topic: Willow - my dog passed away  (Read 3021 times)

Offline Mitchee

• Oshkosh, WI
    • View Profile
Willow - my dog passed away
« on: April 08, 2009, 06:46:42 PM »
This isn't amp related but my dog passed away this afternoon. 

Willow was humanely euthanized by my veterinarian.  Although Willow wasn't an amputee, she had severely damaged hind limbs.  She was born with excessively curved hind leg bones that didn't allow her stand up all of the way.  She couldn't straighten out her knee joints.  She should have had surgery when she was a puppy to correct the problem but no one did it.  Her legs couldn't be surgically straigtened as an adult dog.  I adopted her last Thanksgiving after she was left abandoned at a farm.  She was found tied to a fence post.  Even though we only had a few months together, Willow was a great dog who only asked that she be loved.  In return she gave her love back ten fold.  She was a gentle and loving soul who touched everyone she met.  Even the cats loved her.  She loved to go for a walk even though it was extremely painful for her.  The past few weeks have not been good for Willow.  Her hind legs deteriorated rapidly and she could no longer walk short distances painfree.  She whimpered from the pain and her legs started to give out.  After consulting with my vet, the painful decision was made to euthanize her.  She crossed the rainbow bridge this afternoon with dignity and grace.        :'(

Initial injury:  July 1985
Amputation:  December 2006 - Ertl LBKA

"The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."
 -Lao Tzu

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
Re: Willow - my dog passed away
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 08:03:18 PM »
Hi Michelle - I am very sorry at the loss of your dog, Willow. She was beautiful and I am sure a great friend. I know how easy it is to get attached to animals. They are often better friends than any of our two legged friends. Herb

Offline pin-hi

• cool, clear water
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 09:28:27 PM »
You gave Willow some great months while she was in your care. I was reading your post to my girlfriend and had to stop reading twice...so very clear how much Willow was loved. So sorry for your loss. David in Canada.
pin-hi

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 10:43:14 PM »
  Oh Mitchee :'(  I am so sorry for your loss...I know how you felt about Willow...you must know {even though it hurts} that she is out of her pain now..  it is so hard to say goodby to our friends who love us without any rules.

Offline guzzitx

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 11:16:58 PM »
So sorry for your loss.
I find this says it much better than I
by Sen. George Vest.

Many years ago, in 1869, Senator Vest represented in a lawsuit, a plaintiff whose dog "Old Drum" had been willfully and wantonly shot by a neighbor. The defendant virtually admitted the shooting, but questioned to the jury the $150 value plaintiff attributed to this mere animal. To give his closing argument, George Vest rose from his chair, scowling, mute, his eyes burning from under the slash of brow tangled as a grape vine. Then he stepped sideways, hooked his thumbs in his vest pockets, his gold watch fob hanging motionless, it was that heavy. He looked, someone remembered afterwards, taller than his actual 5 feet 6 inches, and began in a quiet voice to deliver an extemporaneous oration. It was quite brief, less than 400 words:

"Gentlemen of the jury: the best friend a man has in the world may turn against him and become his worst enemy. His son or daughter that he has reared with loving care may prove ungrateful. Those who are nearest and dearest to us, those whom we trust with our happiness and our good name, may become traitors to their faith. The money that man has, he may lose. It flies away from him, perhaps when he needs it the most. A man's reputation may be sacrificed in a moment of ill-considered action. The people who are prone to fall on their knees to do us honor when success is with us may be the first to throw the stone of malice when failure settles its cloud upon our heads.

The one absolutely unselfish friend that a man can have in this selfish world, the one that never deserts him and the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous... is his dog.

Gentlemen of the Jury: a man's dog stands by him in prosperity and in poverty, in health and in sickness. He will sleep on the cold ground, where the wintry winds blow and the snow drives fiercely, if only he may be near his master's side. He will kiss the hand that has no food to offer, he will lick the wounds and sores that come in encounters with the roughness of the world. He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a prince. When all other friends desert he remains. When riches take wings and reputation falls to pieces, he is as constant in his love as the sun in its journey through the heavens. If fortune drives the master forth an outcast in the world, friendless and homeless, the faithful dog asks no higher privilege than that of accompanying him to guard against danger, to fight against his enemies, and when the last scene of all comes, and death takes the master in its embrace and his body is laid away in the cold ground, no matter if all other friends pursue their way, there by his graveside will the noble dog be found, his head between his paws, his eyes sad but open in alert watchfulness, faithful and true even to death."

The jury deliberated less than two minutes then erupted in joint pathos and triumph. The record becomes quite sketchy here, but some in attendance say the plaintiff who had been asking $150, was awarded $500 by the jury. Little does that matter. The case was eventually appealed to the Missouri Supreme Court, which refused to hear it.

Don't mess with a man, or his dog.

Not a day goes by that I don't think of my dog.

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 05:33:19 AM »
Mitchee,

Losing a pet can be very hard. I'm sorry that you have to go through this now, the only silver lining is that your lovely dog will never feel pain again. You made their last few months that much easier through your love and compassion.
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 03:24:33 PM »
Oh MY I'm so very sorry. I understand what you are going through and how your feeling. I lost my sweet boy Rusty age 15 November 15th 2008. My heart still aches for my little fury guy. It will take time you will accept but never forget. Willow is at the rainbow Bridge now an maybe  Willi ow will meet up with my Rusty! Many since thoughts and sympathy. Many hugs to you. Your heart is broken now and in time you will feel better.

Offline Annie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 04:27:44 AM »
So sorry to hear about your lovely dog Mitchee.  My daughter had to make the same decision about one of cats a couple of weeks ago, so know how difficult that is. 

Offline SusanN366

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 03:31:10 PM »
My heart goes out to you. I don't have a pet, but the older I get, the more I see how much comfort and dignity they bring to the humans close to them.  You and Willow were very lucky to know each other.  I'm so sorry for your loss.
SusanN
Right AKA, 1972

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 09:35:52 AM »
SusanN366,

You are so right...my little "Tootsie" brought me out of a down period so fast.  I wouldn't take 1 million for her...I talk to her, tell her my fears & problems.  :)

Offline stinker373

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 09:13:15 PM »
I am sorry to hear of willows passing.  I have had dogs for the most of my life and still do. At least you gave her a home and lots of love. Run free little one.

Offline Mitchee

• Oshkosh, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 03:22:49 PM »
I would like to say thank you to all of my friends for your kind words.

Willow was a very difficult loss for me.  I have lost three pets in the past year.  Every time I lose a pet a small piece of my heart goes with them.  I adopt only special needs pets so our time together tends to be less than if I had adopted a healthy cat or dog.  Time will help to heal my heart and I know that I will eventually adopt another special needs pet.  Thanks again for your kindness and understanding.

In case anyone is curious about my avatar... that is my cat Rupert and he is blind.  He is one of several special needs cats that I have adopted.   

Initial injury:  July 1985
Amputation:  December 2006 - Ertl LBKA

"The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."
 -Lao Tzu

Offline Ally

• RAK South Africa
    • View Profile
    • Personal RAK Website
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2009, 05:16:44 AM »
Hi Mitchee

I never posted anything earlier because I really didn't know what to say.  Our pets are so very precious, I understand the heartbreak that goes hand-in-hand with losing them.

Special people have special pets......your soul must be blessed and fulfilled  :)

I too have a blind kitten....eish.....and MANY fish ponds.  They adapt so beautifully - my kitty can swim now (what's that about necessity being the mother of all....?).

We need more people like you to love our animals.  Thank you for being one of them!

xxxxxxx
Courage does not always roar.  Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying "I will try again tomorrow."

Offline Minerva

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2009, 11:53:20 AM »
Willow was a very difficult loss for me.  I have lost three pets in the past year.  Every time I lose a pet a small piece of my heart goes with them.  I adopt only special needs pets so our time together tends to be less than if I had adopted a healthy cat or dog.  Time will help to heal my heart and I know that I will eventually adopt another special needs pet.  Thanks again for your kindness and understanding.

I've had to have a couple of pets put down recently, due to cancer, and even the smallest ones are difficult. So, I'm sorry to hear about Willow ...

All our pets seemed to be geriatric at the moment (feels like living in an elderly people's home sometimes, I tell you!  ::)) ~ everyone, but me, has an afternoon nap and they all have their own set of medicines. :D I do it because they've been with us for so long and because I love them dearly. But, I really don't know how you do it, Mitchee?