Author Topic: ACA this year  (Read 1653 times)

Offline JClark

• View Profile
ACA this year
« on: March 31, 2009, 09:17:03 PM »
Hey, who all is going to the ACA this year?

I'm going for the first time in several years.  They have a swimming event listed as a limited availability event, not sure what it's going to be, but I signed up for it.
North-East Pennsylvania
+Left foot------------+Right foot---------------+
|Accident 8/31/2002 |ankle fusion 1/8/2008  |
|Amp 7/11/2003      | RBK (Ertl)    4/7/2010 |
|Ertl June 2005        |                                  |
+---------------------+-------------------------+

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
Re: ACA this year
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 07:38:41 AM »
Hi Jason - I would love to go to the ACA convention, but having been to Atlanta a few times in the past, I would not want to waste money on another trip there. I can not imagine a less attractive location. I'll attend when they hold it in a city I would like to visit. I was very disappointed when I heard that they were going to hold it in Atlanta for a second consecutive year. Somebody must be making a good commission. Have a good time. Herb

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 09:29:25 AM »
Dont live that far away and could drive, but with getting new legs this year just cant afford it. would love to go.
you-all have a great day.

Offline JClark

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 08:21:44 AM »
Dont live that far away and could drive, but with getting new legs this year just cant afford it. would love to go.

There is a "day pass" that is a little more reasonable.  And there were a few people in 2004 who didn't pay any event fees and just sat around the lobby areas talking to people they knew.  But I DO understand about expenses, a local group is helping me with the expenses.

As for hosting in the same city 3 years in a row, I'm sure they got a heck of a deal from the hotel.  But I agree, Atlanta isn't all that spectacular, but based on how much of Nashville I got out to see, I don't think I'll get too far from the hotel.  Except of course I know a couple people in Atlanta and am trying to arrange dinner away from the conference with them one night.

The only thing worse than Atlanta in June is Atlanta in late July or Early August......
North-East Pennsylvania
+Left foot------------+Right foot---------------+
|Accident 8/31/2002 |ankle fusion 1/8/2008  |
|Amp 7/11/2003      | RBK (Ertl)    4/7/2010 |
|Ertl June 2005        |                                  |
+---------------------+-------------------------+

Offline naseigfried

• Me on the right with Theron, my great legman. RIP
    • View Profile
    • My MySpace page
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 08:49:17 AM »
My reservations are made and all fees are paid. I hardly leave the hotel. I haven't missed a conference since becoming an amputee in 2004. Nashville was my first.

I enjoy getting to visit with the friends I've made from past conferences.
LBK since April 2004

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 02:59:38 PM »
We'll be there.   Gotta admit that 3 years in a row is a bit much.  BUT, we hardly leave the hotel, and that hotel is quite nice.  Not alot of good eateries within easy reach of hotel.

I'm curious where it will be in 2010.

For another organization, we had a great convention in St Louis.  Several great eating options within a short walk of hotel - on the level.  Unfortunately, I doubt the hotel is big enough for ACA - we'd take over the whole place.

We need a hotel with several dozen handicapped-accessible guest rooms - if any such place exists.

See ya there, Jason.  :)
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA