Author Topic: Kids say amazing things.  (Read 1852 times)

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
Kids say amazing things.
« on: March 15, 2009, 05:32:58 PM »
I work as a teaching assistand in a second grade class. I was having a bad zinger day and walking slow. On of the little boy's in my class took my hand and said I'll walk with you Mrs. E I said Oh thank you. Then he ask me "Mrs. E. Do you ever wish for a real leg" I said yes sometimes I do. He said "That's OK Mrs. E I love you just the way you are" and gave me a huge hug!  Needless to say I had tears in my eyes.

Kids are amazing and very empathetic. Some of the things that they say are very mature and wise for such a little child.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Kids say amazing things.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 07:23:47 PM »
SNOW, a answer like that one would bring tears to anyones eyes including mine, i love to be around youngsters, they can be more fun than a barrel of monkeys when it comes to have arty legs like we have, so hang in there and have some fun with them, for they adapt to these things fast than an adult does and it dosent seem to bother them that much and man do they ever ask questions about them, and want to know how and why it happened.
you-all have a great day.

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 07:59:19 PM »
Your right Jack. Kids are great. Especially when I read my Ampu Teddy book and beat who's leg comes off. Its s hoot. Sometimes kids are painfully honest too! :)

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 12:33:08 PM »
Hi, Gang:

I managed to confuse one little fellow, age 4 or 5, at our home church.

When I had my first BK amp, I arrived in  church in a wheelchair until the prosthesis was made a few weeks later.  He was very curious about the dangling pantleg and the missing foot.  We had a nice conversation.

Then I got the pros, and went back to work as a pastor in another church.

7 months later, I had the other BK amp.  Again in the wheelchair waiting for the new pros.  For those weeks I went back to the home church and met the same little boy.  He gave a very quizzical look, and then asked very seriously, "I thought it was the OTHER leg."

I thought that was quite observant for a child so young.

Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 05:06:20 PM »
The kids were asking me a bunch of questions today...Did you keep your bad leg?  Were you awake when they cut it off? How much is a leg about $100.00? wow that's a lot of money. How do you take a bath? Dose it hurt like a belly ache?

To cute and purely innocent, and always painfully honest. One child said Your other leg really looked fake. It looked like clay!   And he was right! LOL!

Offline Ally

• RAK South Africa
    • View Profile
    • Personal RAK Website
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 02:43:10 PM »
Kids say the darndest things.  Sometimes I wish the parents wouldn't get in the way!

I remember belonging to a church right around the time I lost my leg.....Oscar Pistorius was a member (OK, his mom was....Sheila).

Anyway - this kid was just frightening!  He broke his wooden legs almost every single week.  He was a nightmare at 6 years old. Looking back, it's such a blessing that ADT (or whatever they choose to call it) wasn't a common diagnosis for active kids, otherwise they would probably have sedated him properly, and he would never had become the STAR he is today!

Back to the amazing things that kids say......my best was (poke, prod, examine....) "is there blood in it?"

Another one was "Ally, show my friend your leg" - we were in public, I am an AK, and I was wearing jeans!  LOL......I should have....

Eish - kids....gotta love them!
 :D
Courage does not always roar.  Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying "I will try again tomorrow."

Offline Minerva

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 04:36:10 PM »
Kids say the darndest things.  Sometimes I wish the parents wouldn't get in the way!

When my son was about 2 we went swimming one day. These two boys (possibly 4 & 5?) came over and kept diving under the water to stare at my legs. My son asked me if they were coming over to play with him. Then, when they didn't play with him he wanted to know why were they staring at my legs. So, I told him that it was probably because they hadn't seen legs like mine before. Shortly after, the boys returned to their mum, who had been watching on the other side of the pool.  ::) My son followed (I was a bit worried, as he couldn't swim) and said to the mother of the nosey boys,

"May I ask you a question?"

"Yes, of course"

"Are you a real mummy?"

She said proudly "Yes, I am a mummy ... here are my two little boys"

He carefully looked her up and down and said "How can you be a real mummy? Mummys don't have legs!"

She was absolutely stunned ... hehehe

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 06:25:01 PM »
I agree Ally, Parents are more embarrassed by their children's curiosity. I don't mind at all the Innocent questions of the children. They learn by asking questions. One little boy down the street rang my door bell and had 4 other kids with him all about 8-10 years old. He said "show them show them your leg comes off!" ??? I said are you sure you want to see? He said" I told them The lady in this house can take her leg off!" LOL!! So I did and explained that I'm a amputee and how it happened as best I could for their age. They were very sympathetic to my surprise and very sweet. Now when they see me they go out of their way to say hi or wave to me. Its all very innocent and a learning process for them too.