Author Topic: a bit of fun...  (Read 3232 times)

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
a bit of fun...
« on: March 12, 2009, 10:41:27 AM »
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline annieg

• View Profile
Re: a bit of fun...
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 11:37:22 PM »
Love it!  It's a lot of fun to laugh at ourselves. Annieg
He who limps, still walks.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 08:10:44 PM »
Steve love,

Are you getting ready for St. Patrick's Day?   Green beer, etc.  A night out with the boys or girls????

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 11:08:22 PM »
Steve love,

Are you getting ready for St. Patrick's Day? Green beer, etc.  A night out with the boys or girls????

I just got back from the pub to be honest. Nothing too mad but a good night. With St. Patricks day being on a tuesday it can make for a long drinking 'session' over the weekend with Tuesday a more quiet affair (we all work in the morning eh!).
Ireland is playing Scotland in the 'Six Nations Rugby' tomorrow (http://www.rbs6nations.com/en/matchcentre/13192.php) and we are expected to win. If we do...another 'session' (and if we beat Wales, we win the 'Grand Slam' and the championship and a massive session!).

As far as green beer...no green for me, I'll stick with the black stuff, Guinness.
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline annieg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 07:28:40 PM »
I live near Boston.  St. Patrick's Day is just about a high holiday here!  Everyone is Irish on that day.  Even Bono & U2 have been around town this weekend.  It's a good excuse for the young people to party, dye their hair green and drink green beer. I haven't been to the parade for a couple of years.  It's huge.  I think people in the States make a bigger deal of it than in Ireland.  I will wear my green on Tuesday.  Annieg

Offline guzzitx

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 09:37:49 PM »
God invented whiskey to keep the Irish from ruling the world.
It worked.

And yes, I'm 1/4 Irish.

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 09:54:01 AM »
Be rest assured that St. Patricks day is massive over here in Ireland. Parades, parties and pubs full to capacity. As far as the Irish not ruling the world...what makes you think we don't?  ;) The Irish are scattered all over the world. Even President O'Bama has Irish roots. (His great-great-great-grandfather, Fulmuth Kearney, was born and reared in Ireland...)

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 10:26:19 AM »
LOL! loved it Steve too funny! :)

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 02:24:58 PM »
Yeah, Steve:

During the Presidential Campaign, there was a joke song going the rounds, set to a familiar Irish Tune, th refrain went something like, "O'Bama, O'Leary, O'Brien, O'Rourke......"  Something like that.

Never knew he actually had a distant ancester from Ireland.

And yes, having grown up in Boston, I know what you mean.  I heard it said there are more Irish in Boston than in Ireland.  May be a slight exaggeration, but .....

Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 08:21:21 AM »
Hi Dick - that may not be an exageration. I come from a large Irish family. My sister's hobby is geneology. She says that there are 4 times as many Irish living in the US as Ireland. Herb

Offline annieg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 01:12:05 PM »
I am from a family of 15.  Can you guess the parents were Irish Catholic?  They played Vatican Roulette also know then as the rhythm method ( I guess they got the rhythm all right).  Just counting my family and the families in my old neighborhood, we do outnumber the Irish In Ireland.  LOL  Annieg

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2009, 01:36:10 PM »
According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_American
"A total of 36,495,800 Americans (more than 12% of total population) reported Irish ancestry in the 2006 American Community Survey"

Even though some would be parents or grandparents I would have to think that a lot of this would very distant ancestry. 

Ireland itself has a population of 4,156,119

~~~

As far as the rhythm method, I always thought that that meant playing the radio during...

Offline annieg

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2009, 03:45:40 PM »
During???  LOL  Annieg

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2009, 03:53:53 PM »
During???  LOL  Annieg

You know what annieg :-[ :-[  That's our ornery Steve.