Author Topic: BKA swimming  (Read 6629 times)

Offline tonybka

• View Profile
BKA swimming
« on: March 03, 2009, 09:41:52 AM »
I have joined a swim group that starts on Saturday. I have not swam laps since I lost my leg. I did swim well prior to the amputation. Do those of you that swim, use a leg of sorts in the pool, or just swim without one? How was the transition to swimming with two different length legs?

Thanks

Tony

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: BKA swimming
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 10:09:17 AM »
Tony, i swim every other day and i am a bilaterial bka, have my own pool so it alows me this pleasure, and i havew found some swim fins that fit right over my stumps and really work good, here is the web site www.shinfin.com have two sets of them one for home use aand one when we travel or do as rod trip. when you get inbto the site click on the disabled section
you-all have a great day.

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 11:41:58 AM »
Hi Tony - I am an AK amputee who enjoys swimming frequently. When I am at a pool I leave my prosthesis at a nearby seat and crutch to the edge of the pool. At the beach, and that is where I swim the most, I wear a pegleg into the water. Sometimes I take it off and sometimes I leave it on while I swim. The pegleg is a 2" diameter plastic tube coupled to my socket. It has a 4" diameter rubber tip that gives me good stability on rocky beaches. I wear the same pegleg for boating to avoid getting my good prosthesis wet. I do not swim laps but do long distance swimming in a large lake. I mostly do a side stroke or a breast stroke. Herb

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 12:14:09 PM »
I've gone swimming in a pool a few times but it was back before I got my swimming leg. I found it a bit hard swimming with only leg. I tended to pull to one side and would have to compensate.

I have a swimming leg now with a adjustable ankle. You turn a pin and the ankle becomes free and swings up and down with the kicking. It can also be tightened so that the toes point straight down like a oar. The system is a lot better for me personally. I use it when I go swimming in the sea as there isn't a pool near me anymore.

Heres a picture of the ankle. The ring on the left is what I turn to loose up the ankle. The leg itself isn't the most comfortable as there isn't any give, the only cushion is in the socket itself in the form of the gel sock.

Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline Minerva

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 01:40:42 PM »
Do you know that it took me ages to work out that your photo was of your real foot and your prosthetic foot, Steve?  :-[

I love swimming! I've gone from just 'one foot' (slight pull to one side, but easy to compensate   ;)), to 'no feet' (have to keep your crawl going, otherwise you sink!  :o), to an added total knee replacement (which adds weight, so you really have to keep going!  :-\).

Having said all that, it's really not that hard once you get used to it.  8)  I'm hoping to start swimming again soon and build up to my usual one mile in an hour. I'll keep you posted.  :)

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 02:22:24 PM »
Do you know that it took me ages to work out that your photo was of your real foot and your prosthetic foot, Steve?  :-[

Its easy! In the picture my legs are crossed and the prosthetic one is the one made out of green metal.  ;) 
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline chrysochloridae

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 03:18:00 PM »
Have they put silicone in and on the pinch bolts Steve? It looks like you have an OrthoEurope Eco system there - the green bits are Aluminum alloy but i think the pinch bolts are stainless steel - if they've not got silicone on then they may corrode in the seawater...

Offline Minerva

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 05:25:11 AM »

Its easy! In the picture my legs are crossed and the prosthetic one is the one made out of green metal.  ;) 

Yes, thanks, Steve - I'd worked that one out.  :D

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 06:53:40 AM »
Have they put silicone in and on the pinch bolts Steve? It looks like you have an OrthoEurope Eco system there - the green bits are Aluminum alloy but i think the pinch bolts are stainless steel - if they've not got silicone on then they may corrode in the seawater...

He was saying the ankle was 'Le Foot' (or something like that). The actually foot was the only thing he could find that would work with the ankle which unfortunately has no flex what so ever.  As it is now, it is a glorified pirate pegleg and not comfortable when standing on it (swimming is fine but standing is a different matter). I would love to switch out the foot so that there were some give, rubber elastomers...whatever.

He did plaster the ankle with silicone. Its coming off some but I'll just lather on some more. 

Offline JClark

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 10:32:16 AM »
He was saying the ankle was 'Le Foot' (or something like that). The actually foot was the only thing he could find that would work with the ankle which unfortunately has no flex what so ever.  As it is now, it is a glorified pirate pegleg and not comfortable when standing on it (swimming is fine but standing is a different matter). I would love to switch out the foot so that there were some give, rubber elastomers...whatever.

He did plaster the ankle with silicone. Its coming off some but I'll just lather on some more. 

One reason you might want to stick with a basic, non-flexible foot is the fancy foot moves the ankle joint higher so your little pin thing would have the ankle in a strange location.  Plus getting water and especially sand inside the fancy foot would cause issues if you don't keep it clean.

I'd LOVE to get one of these swimming feet, but because my insurance won't pay for the part, I'm outta luck.

No matter what you do for legs in the water, here are a couple ideas.
There is something called a "shin fin".  It straps above the ankle and gives you extra push like a swim fin.  They come in pairs. http://shinfin.com/

There is a hand fin, it goes on like a glove and gives you webbed fingers.  I have these and find they are of some help.
http://shopping.yahoo.com/t-Swimming-Diving-0/webbed-gloves

Some combination of these ideas should help you.
North-East Pennsylvania
+Left foot------------+Right foot---------------+
|Accident 8/31/2002 |ankle fusion 1/8/2008  |
|Amp 7/11/2003      | RBK (Ertl)    4/7/2010 |
|Ertl June 2005        |                                  |
+---------------------+-------------------------+

Offline chrysochloridae

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 03:27:41 PM »

. I would love to switch out the foot so that there were some give, rubber elastomers...whatever.

It looks like an Otto Bock foot.... likely one of the cheapest if it was going to be used for a swimming leg. Does it have a number on the sole of the foot steve? (usually the bock feet have a number then a letter then more numbers e.g. 1S10).... They have alot of similar looking feet - but the inner keels are different between the SACH and Dynamic feet

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 06:59:53 AM »

. I would love to switch out the foot so that there were some give, rubber elastomers...whatever.

It looks like an Otto Bock foot.... likely one of the cheapest if it was going to be used for a swimming leg. Does it have a number on the sole of the foot steve? (usually the bock feet have a number then a letter then more numbers e.g. 1S10).... They have alot of similar looking feet - but the inner keels are different between the SACH and Dynamic feet

You're right. Its is a Otto Bock. There is a stamp that says 'Otto Bock Pedilam' ? (and the number 27 is in the middle which I assume is the size) The number below that is 0026.
It would think the foot is fairly basic. I can see wood makes up part of the inside. I can make out a bit of a number on the top of the foot (under a layer of waterproofing silicon) that I think reads '1649'.

Even though it is for swimming only really, I still need to walk to the waters edge. I would like to change it out for a foot that would be more comfortable, but as the top of the foot needs to be the male fitting in a hinge of sorts my options may be extremely limited. Any advice?

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 07:59:18 AM »

Offline tonybka

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 08:54:06 AM »
Thanks for the input. I started swimming without a leg, and it is working ok. I can see the advantage to making a swim leg, and will look into the various options in the future. Thanks for all of your help.

Tony

Offline chrysochloridae

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2009, 05:59:55 PM »