Author Topic: Stan's vacuum system !!  (Read 4777 times)

Offline ann

• View Profile
Stan's vacuum system !!
« on: March 05, 2009, 02:51:27 PM »
Hey RoboGirl,

Would you email me with the brand of liner you use?    :) Thanks, ann

Offline Robogirl

• View Profile
Re: Stan's vacuum system !!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 08:05:51 PM »

Evolution silicone liners. Are you a BK, Ann?  If you are having fit issues, you CP may want to have a custom liner made for you.  He would make a mold of your limb and send it to Evolution.
"The race does not always go to the swift, but often to those who keep on running."

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 08:47:43 PM »
Yes RoboGirl, that is the same liner I am using also.  I find it alittle hard to get on even when I roll it inside out.  Do you use anything on your leg before putting it on?  If I don't...it makes a blister on my leg.

Offline Robogirl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 09:28:16 PM »
While the liner is inside out, spray some rubbing alcohol inside it and it will roll on very easily.  Just the regular isopropyl alcohol you buy at the pharmacy and put it in a spray bottle.  I always use some type of lube on my limb first, but only in the areas where there is friction.
"The race does not always go to the swift, but often to those who keep on running."

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 09:45:18 AM »
you ladies might want to be carefull using that rubbing alcohol on you stumps have found out if i use it they will will dry out and the skin will start cracking on me, i am using ICEROSS 6 MM liners on both legs and i turn them inside out and then squeze the end down to the smallest cup i can the but it on the end of my stump and start rolling it up, with my hand flat on both side of my legs, some time it takes a while to get them on but it is better to take a few mins longer than have dry cracked skin which in my case make a real sore stump. Now i am not saying that using it dosent work for you but i cant use it,
you-all have a great day.

Offline Robogirl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 10:18:22 AM »
Don't worry, PLJ.   The alcohol does not touch your skin! :o

Maybe I didn't explain it well enough.....  you turn the liner inside out (which means the "real" outside is now inside) and then you spray the alcohol on the inside (the "real" outside).   These particular liners do not have fabric on the outside and don't roll on as smoothly.  Some people use lotion or powder instead, but you have to wash those off afterwards, and the alcohol just evaporates.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 10:29:53 AM »
Robogirl, the light bulb just went on, now i understand and see the need for it, all of my liners have a cloth covering on the outside,

THANKS FOR EXPLAINING IT FOR ME.

a person can learn something new just about every day, no matter how old you may be.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 09:34:31 AM »
While the liner is inside out, spray some rubbing alcohol inside it and it will roll on very easily.  Just the regular isopropyl alcohol you buy at the pharmacy and put it in a spray bottle.  I always use some type of lube on my limb first, but only in the areas where there is friction.

Karen, this is the most helpful tip I have received so far...I can not believe the difference when putting on my liner.  Thanks so much!  I went in yesterday & Shandon is ordering a foot {echelon} for me to try.  He told me I may not have enough room for it though :( but he will try.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 05:02:40 PM »
Am going eith a vacuum system this time, instead of the pin/lock that i have now, he is going to start my sockets monday afternoon, and has told me that by using the lazer unit i will get to see my test sockets made that day on the machine they use, so when i get home moday afternoon will post on here how it went. with any luck should have my new legs in about a weeks time, am letting my CPO decide what foot i will be comfortable with and based on my activity level, will know more about all this after my appointment moday.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 08:07:55 PM »
Good luck, Jack. :)

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 12:57:12 PM »
PLJ,

What type vacuum outfit are you going with...I will tell you this....I can't  believe the difference in fit. I think you will like it.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2009, 07:17:25 PM »
will be going eith OWW limb logic system, as for the feet we havent decided on them yet, will know more tomarrow.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 09:46:52 AM »
will be going eith OWW limb logic system, as for the feet we havent decided on them yet, will know more tomarrow.

Is that Ohio Willow Wood out of Ohio?

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 06:01:00 PM »
Ann, the answer is yes they are located in MT STERLING, OHIO, And this is how it went today, went in with about 20 questions to ask and came out with all of them answered and explained in detail in most cases, am going with owwco limb logic vacuum sockets (7000.00 plus)and am going to try the renegade foot (4000.00) a piece, we talked for over 2 hours about what would be the best setup for me with the activity level i am in, we must of talked about 12 differant feet and with the specs i  saw the renegade is i hope the right one for me to use, if not we have a backup one that is real close to the renegade, but is just a bit more responsive. the prices that i have put one here come from my new CPO, and also the owner of the company, told me that i may take two or more test sockets to get the fit that he wants for me and that is total contact sockets for the vacuumn system to work at its optiumin levels, we also talked about this system and my wanting to start riding horses agian, and he feels that i will not have any problems, has fitted a cowboy with simialer setup already. And after two long sessions with him i now feel comfortable having him do the work for me.  So next friday he is going to start measuring my stumps for my new legs, now that we have 90% of the paper work out of the way.
He also told me that i would have to take it easy for a couple of weeks to get used to the tight fitting of my sockets, but after that he said that i should be able to walk over 100 yards with out getting sore or tired like i do now, and wont have the pinching behind my knees that i have now after setting down for a while, said that i might have to put up with some ingrouwn hairs till my stumps got used to the new ones. Then we got a big laugh when i told him of a amputee out in CALIF, that shaved his stumps to get rid of the hair, and what happen when he started to get all of them in grown hairs, took about two months before they finially stoped and the hair grew out. that was the last time the guy tried that stunt. So will keep you all upto date when anything happens.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2009, 01:42:01 PM »
PLJ,

What did you do, fly into Columbus and go to Mr.Sterling?  I have been to their company...they did so work for me several years ago.  Keep us posted on your progress...Hope things work out for you. :)