Author Topic: Can anyone clue me in?  (Read 2740 times)

Offline Genki_rockets

• View Profile
Can anyone clue me in?
« on: April 09, 2009, 11:44:33 AM »
I am an AK. I was in Colorado last week visiting friends and family & I was wearing my leg 14+ hrs. per day. (Had no choice playing golf & poker afterwards almost daily.)  By end of the week, I developed some skin problems but I've figured I lay off on my pegleg when I come back.

Well, I took two days off allowing my skin to recover and put my leg back on yesterday.  My stump hurt like hell and I could barely walk.  The soreness is mostly at the end of my stump, on small area.  My prosthetist has done a wonderful job on my socket to a point I often forget I am wearing my c-leg.  My socket fits so "tight" that I haven't had any complaint.  So I am really puzzled why all of sudden I am having this problem.

Can anyone give me a possble cause for this sudden discomfort?  Was I wearing my leg too long?  I am really confused. :'(

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone clue me in?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 02:21:48 PM »
Hi Genki-Rocket - your residual leg may have changed in size and your fit may not be as good anymore. You may also have some infection in your residual leg that is causing some swelling. Your prosthetist may be able to modify your socket so you no longer have pressure on that sore spot. Good Luck. Herb

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 03:26:44 PM »
The stump changes when the socket is on. It may shrink or swell if the weather is very hot. My Stump gets smaller with the heat and bigger when its cold.

Offline Genki_rockets

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 04:26:06 PM »
thank you for your reply.  so you are saying change in size of stump could cause sore spot?

Offline Abel Cruz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 10:58:04 PM »
I am an LAK since Aug 2005.  I am very active and wear my leg 16 hours daily. On occasion I have had the end of my stump hurt like your are describing and a small adjustment by my leg guy solved the problem.  It seems that sometimes the stumps volume changes and you slide deeper into the sokcet.  Thus carring some of the weight at the end of your femor instead of the isial bone or ramos if using the MAS socket.  I have also learned to fix the problem if I can't make it to the prostist by using mole skin.  I cut strips and put around the top of my socket between the carbon fiber and flexiable liner and this helps until I can get into the see the professionals. 

Offline Genki_rockets

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 11:34:58 PM »
thank u Able.  yes, i have MAS socket and what you are saying totally makes sense.  i was also suspecting that perhaps my stump was getting in too deep. 

oh, one more question.  How do you keep your socket on so long each day?  I'd love to wear my leg all day long also but my skin starts getting irritated after couple of days.  do you use any special cream or product to keep your skin happy?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 11:50:41 PM by Genki_rockets »

Offline Abel Cruz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 11:07:30 AM »
I use a seal in liner with my MAS socket and understand this is not normally done.  I did not like pulling in with a pull sock so asked for the seal in liner.  Then that also has a coyote locking system which locks the socket to the liner (similar to the kiss system).  This is great for riding the bike eliminating the need for a suspension belt.  I coat my stump with Adaptskin which can be purchased through www.adaptalalbs.com.  This helps lubricate the skin and keeps me from getting friction burns or sores.

When I first started wearing my prosthetic I would not wear it all the time and a therapist told me that the more I wear it the more it would feel like a part of me.  Well I did and it did.  I now cannot bear to be without it.  I have it on from 7AM till I go to bed, usually about 11PM.  The MAS socket helps also.

Offline Genki_rockets

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 11:36:57 AM »
thank you so much for your info.  your link is broken but found the website through google. i will definately try out Adaptskin & see how it goes.  coyote/kiss is very practical and fail proof.  you must have really smart prosthetist, setting you up with MAS socket also.  i also have seal in liner.  pull socket?  lol that's the crap Hanger tried to sell me many years ago.   God have mercy on ppl still going to Hanger. geez...  Hanger should be amputee's public enemy #1.

N-e-way, just out of curiosity, what knee do you have?  I currently have new c-leg but I get to change my knee next year.  plie was total crap and rheo was even worse.  is there any other knee i should be aware of? 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 11:40:49 AM by Genki_rockets »

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 12:29:11 PM »
Genki, believe it or not, but that was the first thing that my new CPO, ask me was if i wanted to use HANGER products and i told him that from what i have read and been told that they are a bunch of crap as you stated, and he laughed and agreed with me, so i am going with OTTO BACK and OWW, on my new legs.
you-all have a great day.

Offline Ally

• RAK South Africa
    • View Profile
    • Personal RAK Website
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 06:28:35 AM »
Hi Genki

Sometimes in warmer weather, if I wear my leg for extended periods, my stump definitely shrinks and I bottom out, even though I have a very well fitting socket.

Next day, socket fits fine again.

Did you feel yourself touching the bottom of your socket that day (even a tiny bit?)

Courage does not always roar.  Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying "I will try again tomorrow."

Offline Genki_rockets

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 04:17:54 PM »
thank you for your reply Ally.  it turns out that it was combination of several things.  my stump did shrink temporarily but i also lost weight and this caused my stump to shrink.  my socket is padded for now and i am getting a new socket.  hopefully, i can keep my weight off. ^^