Author Topic: Amps in the News -One-Armed CBeebies Host 'Scaring' Children  (Read 1521 times)

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
Amps in the News -One-Armed CBeebies Host 'Scaring' Children
« on: February 23, 2009, 01:27:38 PM »
If a child has never seen a handicapped person then I would assume they would be concerned. Wondering maybe if it will happen to them, but  if the parents who are complaining would simply take them aside and talk to their children, take them to meet handicapped people, this woman would not be under fire.

~~~~

One-Armed CBeebies Host 'Scaring' Children

Disability charities have expressed anger after a number of parents complained that a one-armed children's TV presenter was frightening their kids.

Cerrie Burnell, who was born with one arm, began co-presenting Cbeebies 'Do And Discover' slot with Alex Winters last month.

She has a broad range of success as an actor, both in the theatre and on television.

But parents on online forums have claimed she 'frightens' their children.

Poster Barry wrote: "Is it just me, or does anyone else think the new woman presenter on Cbeebies (Cerrie Burnell) may scare the kids because of her disability?

"I didn't want to let my children watch the filler bits on the bedtime hour last night because I know it would have played on my eldest daughter's mind and possibly caused sleep problems... and yes, this is a serious post."

Other posters suggest the BBC employed Miss Burnell to 'score points' and accused the channel of positive discrimination.

But the vast majority of comments have offered support to the presenter, who they describe as 'lovely' and 'talented'.

"As for Cerrie, I think her being 'disabled' ensures that children are exposed to 'different' people and situations," wrote 'Caligula' on the Digital Spy forum.

Sue Stokes, from the charity Reach, said they were appalled by the negative reaction.

"We are appalled that parents are talking on behalf of their children," she said.

"Children don't notice the differences. The parents need to think about how they would feel if it were their child born without an arm.

"It is great for children with disabilities to see people like them on the television."

A BBC spokesman said nine official complaints had been made about Miss Burnell, who has a four-month-old daughter.

CBeebies controller Michael Carrington said she is 'warm and natural'.

"It's a big ask to entertain millions of children every day," he said.

"We think that in time all mums and dads and children will love her as much as we do."

Miss Burnell was disappointed by the criticism but welcomed the discussion.

"It can only be a good thing that parents are using me as a chance to talk disability with their children," she said.

"It just goes to show how important it is to have positive disabled role models on CBeebies and television in general."

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20090223/tuk-one-armed-cbeebies-host-scaring-chil-45dbed5.html
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
Re: Amps in the News -One-Armed CBeebies Host 'Scaring' Children
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 03:25:57 PM »
Hi Steve - these people that are complaining likely think that handicapped people should be locked in the attic. They are doing a pretty poor job as parents if they haven't taught their children to be comfortable with disabled people. Sooner or later they or someone in their family will face disability first hand. Herb

Offline annieg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 06:46:07 PM »
This presents a perfect opportunity for parents to talk to their children about how all people are different.  What is wrong with these parents?  My grandchildren have always being intrigued with my "fake leg".  They have always felt free to ask questions.  They even tell their friends about it. Annieg
He who limps, still walks.

Offline Minerva

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 05:30:39 AM »
My children had no problem with mine. :) In fact, they thought it was perfectly normal and that other mummies were odd as they had legs ... only daddies had legs, so they thought. :D If I remember correctly, the only issue they did have was not being able to fit their little legs into my prostheses - they used to want to try them on.  :)

All the fuss comes from the parents and not the kiddies.  >:(  It's just such a shame that there's still such prejudice.

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 06:25:01 AM »
Three Cheers for Cerrie Burnell.  I think it is a great service to kids in BBC-land to have her on TV.  If she's as talented as she is beautiful, I'm sure she's a great asset to the program.

If any kid can't handle seeing her on TV, I wonder what would happen if they met an amputee in person?

I wish our kids here in the States had such a TV presenter.

Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA