Author Topic: Amps in the News 8  (Read 1620 times)

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
Amps in the News 8
« on: February 16, 2009, 07:20:34 AM »
 March 20, 1995

A Florida man who recently underwent surgery to have his right foot amputated awoke to learn his left leg was cut off.

The patient, Willie King, was told of the blunder while he was in the recovery room at University Community Hospital in Tampa, FL. Doctors mistakenly amputated King's left leg below the knee.

King's brother, John Hollis, has said King joked with the hospital staff just before he went into surgery to be sure they knew which foot they were going to amputate.

"Now he'll be without any legs at all. He's very depressed about it," Hollis stated.

King, a 51-year-old diabetic, was listed in good condition at the hospital at Jet press time.

The hospital is investigating the mistake. The state Department of Professional Regulation and the Health Care Administration will also investigate.

King's lawyer, Peter J. Brudny said: "It should have been obvious which foot had to go, because poor circulation had led to tissue deterioration, and medical records show King had sores and gangrene on his right foot."

Brudny said King has pain in his right leg and can't walk. He's also checking on getting King a prosthesis and wants the hospital, surgeon and others to compensate King.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1355/is_n19_v87/ai_16717100
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Amps in the News 8
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 10:33:42 AM »
I think that they sould pay for the whole thing expecially the surgen, if he couldnt tell the differance between a healthy foot and one that has gangarene in it, must not be a very good one, i also feel that they should have to compensate him for the rest of his life.

I had gangarene in my right foot and it was blacker than an ace of spades almost back to my heel, and the bottom of my foot was a real bright black and real shiny, that i know cause they got a mirrior and showed it to me the day before i had i cut off.
you-all have a great day.

Offline pin-hi

• cool, clear water
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 02:55:49 PM »
This gentle man should seek legal council, but the lawyer will have to inform him that he doesn't have a leg to stand on! Sorry, I couldn't help myself.
pin-hi

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 05:05:46 PM »
Very tragic story.  When I had my amp done I had a spinal block anesthesia and was awake and talking to the surgeons for the beginning of the procedure. They also gave drugs to relax me and I fell asleep shortly after they started. Last winter I had surgery to repair a detached tendon. To reduce the chance of human error, the hospital has a rule that the surgeon and patient have to sign paperwork and the surgery site with a magic marker in a preop room. After I was wheeled into the operating room somebody saw that only one of the two surgeons had signed off on the surgery. They wheeled me out of the operating room and back to a preop room to get all the signatures done and then back to the operating room. Herb

Offline stinker373

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 10:07:20 PM »
OUCH!! I wonder what happened as a result.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 10:51:22 AM »
Herb, they did the same thing when they took my left leg, there must hqve been a dozen names on ther before i went into surgery, and then when my right leg went they did have a choice it was the only leg there.
you-all have a great day.

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 04:50:14 PM »
You are funny Jack. I may be going into surgery again soon myself. I have an infection in the end of my stump. The skin grafts are in such poor shape that they want to shorten my residual leg back to better skin. It is going to be difficult because there is a lot of titanium hardware on my femur that they will have to remove first. Herb

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 05:06:42 PM »
Sorry to hear that Herb. I'll cross my fingers that the worse case doesn't come true.
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.