Author Topic: Amps in the News 7: Man was electronically tagged on his prosthetic leg  (Read 2399 times)

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
An investigation is under way after a man convicted of possessing cannabis was fitted with a tracking device attached to his prosthetic leg.

Bret Ravenhill, 29, who lost his limb in a motorbike crash six years ago, said a security worker failed to spot his left leg was made of metal and detachable.

The forklift driver, from Barnsley, South Yorkshire, said the woman who came to fit the tag on his leg failed to notice his disability.

He told The Sun: "I thought she would realise straight away - but she never bothered to turn up my trouser leg or look underneath my sock. I just left things as they were for a joke.

"I didn't break my curfew once - but I could have been out living it up every night. I'm no danger to the public - but what if they'd done the same thing to an armed robber?" he told the paper.

A spokeswoman for G4S said: "We conduct our monitoring operation under rigorous procedures which include carrying out an assessment of the leg that is being tagged.

"It would appear that in this instance the procedure has not been followed and we are conducting a thorough investigation into the matter now that it has been brought to our attention."

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20090213/tuk-man-was-tagged-on-his-false-leg-6323e80.html
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
Re: Amps in the News 7: Man was electronically tagged on his prosthetic leg
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 10:35:42 AM »
That is funny Steve. Some people are in a daze all the time and don't notice much. I am having problems with my residual leg, so I am on crutches and not wearing a prosthesis. A few people that I see on a regular basis have just noticed that I am an amputee even though they have seen me in shorts often while I was wearing my prosthesis and not on crutches. Herb
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 11:05:08 AM by herb »

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 10:51:27 AM »
I probably told this story before but in case not...
When I still lived in town I used to play tag rugby. I wasn't the quickest but it was all fairly casual anyway. I assumed they all knew I had a prosthetic leg but it could be a few also never copped on to it. A few had asked how I hurt my knee.
I was passed the ball and I saw open space and went running up the pitch to go for the try and the 5 points. I was running for the line and the player chasing me was catching up.  About 3 metres from the line doesn't the leg come loose (sweat had broken the seal) and the leg goes south and I went north. I hopped a few times then did a big tumble and the look on the opposing player was priceless.
"Jaysus your man there is disintegrating!"

At that point I think they all copped on that I had a prosthetic leg.
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 05:45:51 PM »
Yikes,  that's a good one Steve...I never heard it before.  I will say this;  you must have had a really good fit.  Hope this one fits as good.   :)

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 10:14:09 AM »
Steve, that goes to show just how much attention if payed by those people. have heard about it happening before,
you-all have a great day.

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 10:21:53 AM »

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 05:05:17 PM »
I would almost bet if we could find the instruction for installing it, it read that it is to go on the left leg no matter what and that is just what did,
you-all have a great day.

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 01:13:41 AM »
My funny story was at the doctor's office, when the nurse was giving me an EKG.  She attached the various leads to the chest and the one that usually goes down on the leg.  She lifted the pants leg looking for the spot to attach the lead - with a puzzled look.  Then went to the pther leg.

Oops!  They're BOTH fake!  Had to go to an alternate location.  It does generate a bit of conversation.   :)

Well ..... not 1/2 as funny as Steve's rugby game or the Sheriff's leg tag. :)
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 01:29:33 PM »
Well ..... not 1/2 as funny as Steve's rugby game or the Sheriff's leg tag. :)

Not at all Dick, I wished I could have seen the look on her face. Must have been priceless. :o

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 05:29:59 PM »
Steve:

Somewhat along the same lines, I have fun with little dogs.  Big dogs, like shepherds or labs, will sniff me and have no problems.  They're big enough that their noses are at thigh or butt level, and actually pick up a human scent.

But with LITTLE dogs who stand no more than a foot high, they will sniff around my prosthetic legs and fail to get a human scent.  When all they get is the plastic-and-metal, they look up at me with a puzzled "This-does-not-compute" look. ???     They're so confused they don't even bark.  Priceless.  :)
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline stinker373

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 09:58:23 PM »
Way to funny but cute heheehe

Offline guzzitx

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 10:38:01 PM »
The game is afoot. -Shakespeare