Author Topic: VASS BK socket information  (Read 1916 times)

Offline tonybka

• View Profile
VASS BK socket information
« on: February 11, 2009, 09:44:05 AM »
Good Morning! I know that some of you use the vacuum assisted socket system (VASS) for your everyday socket. I am looking into such a system, as I am very active with cycling and running, and get pressure ulcers about every year that take months to heal. I am in the healing process now. My questions are these. Do you like the fit? Can you use it for running and/or cycling, or do you use it just as your everyday, workday socket? Have you had much in the way of mechanical breakdown?  Thanks for your help.

Tony

Offline naseigfried

• Me on the right with Theron, my great legman. RIP
    • View Profile
    • My MySpace page
Re: VASS BK socket information
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 09:19:38 AM »
I used a vacuum socket for a year til the socket got too loose. I switched to a different liner to extend the use of the socket. The vacuum was the best system I've ever used. It feels so solidly attached to the stump. I am also plagued with sebaceous cysts. I had no problems with them while using this system.

There is no problem in using the system with any activity. My system used a hand pump to create negative pressure. I never had any breakdowns or other problems at all until I could no longer create a vacuum because the socket was too loose. It is a system that I will definitely use again when I need a new socket.
LBK since April 2004

Offline chrysochloridae

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 12:17:21 PM »
You can use suction sockets for cycling, but you need a suspension sleeve and a liner - this can make it difficult to bend the knee to cycle (as the liner and sleeve bunch up behind the knee).

I've found that lock and pin systems with a socket cut really low at the back and sides good for cycling, but this won't provide enough support when walking unless you have a really long stump. If you're a really keen cyclist then i would suggest having a leg purely for cycling.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 01:07:10 AM »
I used a vacuum socket for a year til the socket got too loose. I switched to a different liner to extend the use of the socket. The vacuum was the best system I've ever used. It feels so solidly attached to the stump. I am also plagued with sebaceous cysts. I had no problems with them while using this system.

There is no problem in using the system with any activity. My system used a hand pump to create negative pressure. I never had any breakdowns or other problems at all until I could no longer create a vacuum because the socket was too loose. It is a system that I will definitely use again when I need a new socket.

Neal,

Would you tell me what liner you changed to when socket was loose?  Thanks, ann

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 11:44:18 AM »
Ann, For me I have gone to a thicker liner when the socket becomes to loose. It was a 6mm for a long time a Alpha liner. Now I have a new much smaller socket and a very thin liner a 3MM. Who knows how long it will stay that way with the way I change volume so much. With the last socket I shrank 3 inches and changed shape too. SO i had to have another socket and start all over again.What a PITA it is. ::)

Offline naseigfried

• View Profile
    • My MySpace page
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 04:39:28 PM »

I'm now using the Ossur Seal-in liner. Not as happy as with the vacuum system, but a way to extend the life of the socket.

Neal,

Would you tell me what liner you changed to when socket was loose?  Thanks, ann
LBK since April 2004

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 11:16:04 PM »
Neal,

I want to know if you changed liners when you used the vacuum system. :)

Offline naseigfried

• View Profile
    • My MySpace page
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 09:35:27 AM »
No Ann. I used an Ossur liner 6mm Dermo liner with the vacuum system. I only changed to the Seal-in liner because it fit the old socket and extended it's life.
LBK since April 2004