Author Topic: Prosthetic Feet  (Read 12616 times)

Offline kickstand41

• View Profile
Re: Prosthetic Feet
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2009, 01:02:05 AM »
Hey tigertatt,

Wow,  folks are rough in here huh?  Look I'm probably as active as you can get for an amputee. I played 5 years of semi pro football on a reflex vsp (flexfoot) at outside linebacker in San Diego, Ca. (PFL). I ran a 40 yard dash in 4.7 seconds. due in part to the amount of weight I could squat and press.  I was blessed with a good prosthetist who could build me a socket that was very forgiving to my rbk stump.

If you haven't been an amputee for that long the perfect stride may be a bit too tough on you. I have broken every part known in my 19 years as an amputee, including sockets and the reflex vsp.  I'm just to rough on them.  I'm going in tomorrow to pick up my perfect stride II x3 and can't wait to get goin on my speed and agility training with this foot.

Everybody IS different in that your activity level, or how you train for that activity can and will affect your stump and your body.  Even if you have a good prosthetist you will still have pain and skin breaking down if you truly train hard.  For those who aren't as active they do make feet that are lighter, and smaller and have less mass.  That being said, after you have a good prosthetist, honestly evaluate how active you want to be, then look at the different feet and what they have offer.

I'll let you know how my PSII X3 goes for me in about a week or two.  I'm actually as scared as always the darn thing will break on me irregardless of the foot!    Here's something to thimk about as well.  When you run,  you exert 6 - 8 times your body weight with each foot strike, even more once you start traing for speed.  Good Luck

Offline Showtime1k

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2012, 10:04:10 PM »
im late here. but a poll would be nice. ive used the ossur talux and ceterus. the ceterus i like better for its firm plant. definitely would like to try another foot.  didnt know you could try different foots till your satisfied. they just said here ya go.  how long do you have to wait till you can get a new one after youve had one?

Offline Dolphin

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2012, 06:01:56 PM »
I mentioned on a another post there are so many feet out there.  You can try before you buy, feet can be returned up to 60 or 90 days so you need help determining what would be a good foot because of your activity level and what you want it to do.  I like Freedoms feet because of the quality, the highlander is my foot of choice in addition to the runway (the runway has ajustable heel height for flat sandles or cowboy boots and infinate adjustability within if you get the kind you adjust with 4 mm allen wrench and not pushbutton) the highlander is great for all levels of terrain and light weight, if you are heavier or a bk you may prefer the renagade AT, awesome foot from people I know who wear it.

Hope this helps :)