Author Topic: Prosthetic Feet  (Read 12628 times)

Offline Tigertatt

• Central California - Near Yosemite National Park
    • View Profile
Prosthetic Feet
« on: March 02, 2008, 04:43:36 PM »
 I may have made things too confusing before so lets try it this way

Q -- What Prosthetic foot/feet have you tried and what do you like and or dislike about them?

Please just answer the question as it is written and if everyone on this web site answers this question as it is written we will have the first full prosthetic foot review anywhere on the web. By posting the products you have used you might just bring to light some new options for many other people that have never heard of the product you are using and you could be the reason for making many other people more comfortable in their everyday life as an amputee ;D
Accident 2-7-06
Ertl (by Jan Ertl) RBK 1-18-08
Knowledge is Power

Offline Mitchee

• Oshkosh, WI
    • View Profile
Re: Prosthetic Feet
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 06:22:46 PM »
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 06:29:17 PM by Mitchee »
Initial injury:  July 1985
Amputation:  December 2006 - Ertl LBKA

"The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."
 -Lao Tzu

Offline Marilyn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 08:28:07 PM »
Marilyn
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 08:46:57 PM »
I have only used a college park Tribute.  I like it.  I can walk in it.  I can dance, sorta.  See below. 

This is the only bit that's not an advert in that post Marilyn, I know it's not intended, but Tigertatt is after genuine raw experiences, not copies of product flyers. ;) ... nice try Tigertatt.... you do realise though, that everyone is different, so this information isn't necessarily valid for everyone ;)

Offline Marilyn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 01:22:20 AM »
OBL, I copied it verbatim from the website.  I did explain earlier in the other thread that 1) this is the only foot I've used, and 2) I have no basis for comparison.  I was rather waxing sarcastic in that I did reply in honestly to tigertatt's original post and I felt he disavowed knowledge thereof.  I'm a stinker!!
Marilyn
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 05:47:09 AM »
OBL, I copied it verbatim from the website.  I did explain earlier in the other thread that 1) this is the only foot I've used, and 2) I have no basis for comparison.  I was rather waxing sarcastic in that I did reply in honestly to tigertatt's original post and I felt he disavowed knowledge thereof.  I'm a stinker!!

;)

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 10:39:03 AM »
I for one preffer the college park true step, have worn them since sept 2002 and being a bilateral bka i am having real good luck with them, cant say anything about the other feet out there because i haven't had the need to try any of them.
you-all have a great day.

Offline Tigertatt

• Central California - Near Yosemite National Park
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 02:39:12 PM »
 Thank you Jack for your good input. I've always really like the College Park designs and they were top on my list till I found the Perfect Stride II, but the TruStep and the Venture are still on my list of feet I'd like to try.
Accident 2-7-06
Ertl (by Jan Ertl) RBK 1-18-08
Knowledge is Power

Offline roccet

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 10:08:31 PM »
looks an awful lot like the genesis foot to me. Genesis foot has been out for like 15 years or more and moves alot better than the college park feet.

www.micacorp.com is one of the websites i found the genesis foot on.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 08:05:06 PM »
Check out OSSUR'S TALUX foot, it looks like that is what i am getting for my feet next year when i have new legss made.
you-all have a great day.

Offline chrysochloridae

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 07:19:55 PM »
there are loads of new feet out there to try, top of my list would be (in this order):-
     1) College Park Truestep
     2) Endolite Esprit
     3) Otto Bock Trias

Offline Tigertatts

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 08:37:19 PM »
Golden Mole -- could you give the pros and cons as to why you like the TruStep, Esprit, and Trias ?   Thank you

Offline chrysochloridae

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 06:58:02 PM »
Tigertats!!
Wow, you are the first person to ever figure out the golden mole thing!

Here i go...

Trustep
Pros
  - good movement, mimics the anatomical foot exceptionally well!
  - Gait matched to weight and activity
  - Good inverion/eversion and some rotation
Cons
  - Expensive
  - high maintenance

Esprit
Pros
  - very good action (provides very natural walk)
  - Gait matched to weight and activity
  - Vertical compression (5mm), inversion and eversion
  - Reasonably Priced
  - Low maintenance
Cons
  - some people find it a bit stiff

Trias
Pros
  - True energy store and return foot
  - low maintenance
  - low cost
Cons
  - not as much movement as some of the other feet out there

With feet, i think its a matter of personal preference... some people like alot of movement and some people don't, some can tolerate the weight of the complex feet in order to gain more function (e.g Ceterus) some would prefer a lighter but less functional one.

Offline James2kk

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2008, 08:00:59 PM »

I have been reading the posts here and find it rather interesting I personally use the Ceterus flex foot and it has faired very well as you wil see.
Ive been an amputee for two years now and have been very active my Ceterus has been totally abused ive spent six months in asia working on dive boats (i have a scuba diving leg also) and traveling around asia ive road jet ski's hiked in mountains went through rivers and all sorts of stupid things. The flex foot i would agree is a little heaver than some legs but it can take uneven ground in its stride. The shock adjustments really do make a difference for example i find walking on farily flat suffaces a pressure of around 45 is ideal and still is firm enough to jog across a road when needed. When hiking 30 psi seems good for me and also for working on dive boats and rolling decks. I find a very important factor of a limb is how  reliable it is the as i was i a long way  from a repair centre most of the time the flex foot could be used in the shower if needs must and could be easily cleaned after wards although i would advise every one to carry a set of tools and super glue. I think it important for a limb not to have too many moving joints that dirt can get trapped for ease of cleaning and self maintenance. The part of the leg i hate is the stupid feet i just dont see the point of the fake toes and color it would be far better been black or blue (more inture with the limb) and be more of an insert father than a fake foot plus the foot  cover was trashed after six months. I know you are not supposed to do some of these things with the limbs but at the end of the day you have to use them in real life situations and cant cary six different legs in a back pack i ve had this setup for a year now and its still going strong although i think the valve may be sticking (should of had a dust cap on it) so my take on it is if you want a limb that can take everything you can throw at it and stay in one peace and yet still be flexable enough for day to day use go for this foot and your willing to have a heavier limb .  The biggest problem i have is sleeves and stump stability i still have not fully stabilized  which is rather frustrating currently i'm using the ossur wave sleeve but i find it pistons when trying to run so will be moving to the sport sleeve i think and have the wave sleeve for day to day use as its a godsend when you have to sit for long periods of time on planes.

So if you are planning to travel i would certainly recommend this system as when you do travel you must have a limb that will meet the demands of traveling but also be very reliable as i think it would be impossible to hop around with a back pack on should a limb fail.

hope this will be helpful to some one and if anyone know where i can get a size 27 cool looking foot cover please tell me

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2008, 04:52:56 AM »
I'm now using the Endolite Epirus and it's pucker... comfortable compliant heel with plenty of energy return at toe off...