Author Topic: Reflex VSP  (Read 3592 times)

Offline JClark

• View Profile
Reflex VSP
« on: February 02, 2009, 03:11:26 PM »
I'm now trying out this foot.....  I like the way it walks, I like the shock absorber.  It's a bit heavy, but at least I feel like I'm getting some benefit from the weight.

BUT.....  (ya knew there was one coming, right?)

It seems like when the shock compresses, it hits a limit, then goes just a tiny bit further.  Especially if I'm standing on it, not so much if I'm walking on it.  When I go from standing to walking, this reverses and it feels wierd - the only way to describe it is "like the shoe is suctioned to the floor".  It pops off the floor easily, but there is that slight moment of hesitation where it's stuck.  It's not really, but that's the only way I can describe it.

Does anyone have one of these?  Does this sound like the shock is bottoming out?  Is it me?  I go back and see the CP on Thursday morning, and would like to have an idea or two from other people who have personal experience with this particular foot.  If you've never walked on this foot, please note that in any comments you may choose to make.  I'm looking specifically for comments from other people who have tried this particular foot.
North-East Pennsylvania
+Left foot------------+Right foot---------------+
|Accident 8/31/2002 |ankle fusion 1/8/2008  |
|Amp 7/11/2003      | RBK (Ertl)    4/7/2010 |
|Ertl June 2005        |                                  |
+---------------------+-------------------------+

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Reflex VSP
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 03:38:55 PM »
I haven't tried that one yet, but would there be a way to increase the pressure (if its hydraulic) or  change out the rubber inserts (if it uses rubber to cushion) in order to keep it from bottoming out?
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline Mitchee

• Oshkosh, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 06:31:48 PM »
Hi JClark.  I used the Reflex VSP for a short time.  I only used it for a few weeks.  I found it heavy and cumbersome.  Whenever I took a step I felt like I was sinking.  The shock compressed like it was supposed to but I didn't like the feeling of the compression with every step.  It felt strange and it caused me to alter my gait.  I was trying to compensate for the sinking/compression that occurred with every step and it caused me to walk with an altered gait.  I don't remember a bottoming out feeling or any hesitation.  I just couldn't get used to the sinking feeling and I didn't like the weight of the foot or the large size of it so I opted for a different foot. 

I hope this helps??  I'm glad you like the foot and I hope your prosthetist can get the bugs worked out.

Michelle
Initial injury:  July 1985
Amputation:  December 2006 - Ertl LBKA

"The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."
 -Lao Tzu

Offline Jeff Jester

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 09:15:38 AM »
I used this foot for 14 years and quite liked it. You would have the newer version that comes complete with ceterus. There are two things that you can do. One check to see what size wedge is inserted into the foot. (Your Prosthetist should know as they come with a set of wedges, the bigger the more stiffness)(Also this becomes a minor maintenance factor, checking to make sure it has not dislodged every now and then) Second is the air pressure. Try pumping it up to 40 + psi for more stiffness (or alter pressure until you feel comfortable)(It should have come with a pump). I have just had a new leg made and I went with all new components to try something different. I got the Plie knee and also a Freedom Renegade foot. The foot has the same qualities as the VSP (good energy return) but without the ceterus which I do miss, especially on stairs. I found having the shock really helped as you should not experience any jolting if set up right.
Jeff

Offline pin-hi

• cool, clear water
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 01:40:50 PM »
I've used the Reflex VSP. I too found it heavy and when on the golf course facing a sidehill/downhill shot where the ball was below my feet, the VSP made me feel like I was going to break into a downhill run after hitting the shot... not stable and grounded enough for me when I needed to stay still. Mine was the old style, not the Ceterus.

My prosthetist has the two VSP's now and we're going to re-do the sockets and I'll have them as backups.
pin-hi

Offline JClark

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 09:43:15 PM »
I used this foot for 14 years and quite liked it. You would have the newer version that comes complete with ceterus.
Jeff

The VSP has a "cousin" that is the ceterus, but they are not the same foot.  The ceterus is adjustable air for the shock the original VSP is not.  This foot is the older style, the VSP.

I talked with the cp by phone and they had my weight wrong, so they got a foot for a 200-230 pound person and I'm currently tipping the scale at 250, so that should explain the problem.

Thanks for the suggestions though.
North-East Pennsylvania

Offline chrysochloridae

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 06:25:52 AM »
Should just be a case of changing the springs
 - Check out the catalogue http://www.ossur.com/lisalib/getfile.aspx?itemid=13980

Offline JClark

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 06:30:18 PM »
Should just be a case of changing the springs
 - Check out the catalogue http://www.ossur.com/lisalib/getfile.aspx?itemid=13980

Yep.  They changed out a part today and the foot works the way it feels like it should.  Looks like I'm gonna keep this one.  Well, as soon as they finish the socket that goes with it.

Thanks for the comments.
North-East Pennsylvania