Author Topic: Amps in the News 6  (Read 4711 times)

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
Amps in the News 6
« on: February 01, 2009, 04:00:04 PM »

A woman who lost her legs in the July 7 bombings has spoken of her amazement at being told she is due to give birth on the anniversary of the attacks.

Survivor Martine Wright and husband Nick Wiltshire pictured on safari in Africa

Martine Wright, 36, said she had exclaimed "Are you joking?" after hearing the incredible twist of fate.
"When the doctor realised the significance of what it meant, she just blurted out, 'Oh my God'," she said.
"I was so shocked. It's such a powerful date, it's great to think something so joyful could happen on the anniversary.
"But I worried part of me would always be a little bit sad on that day. It's a difficult time every year."
Ms Wright was the last person to be pulled alive from the carnage of the Aldgate tube blast.
She lost both legs above the knee but learnt to walk again using prosthetic limbs.

"They gave me some hardcore drugs in hospital. I didn't know what effect the physical and emotional trauma of 7/7 would have on my body," she said.
"Every part of me seemed to have been hit by the impact."
Ms Wright and her photographer husband, Nick Wiltshire, 36, had thought they would never be able to have a baby.
"Nick is so excited. He can't stop grinning and talks to the bump all the time. He calls the baby Crumpet, after my cravings," she told the News of the World.
"I took two pregnancy tests because I couldn't believe it. We're so happy."
Ms Wright, a former marketing manager, will become the second injured victim of the atrocity to have a baby.
Last year, 29-year-old Danny Biddle became a father to daughter Caitlyn who weighed 7lb 7oz.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/7-7-London-Bomb-Attacks-Survivor-Due-To-Give-Birth-On-Anniversary-Of-Attacks/Article/200902115214724?lpos=UK_News_First_UK_News_Feature_Teaser_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_15214724_77_London_Bomb_Attacks_Survivor_Due_To_Give_Birth_On_Anniversary_Of_Attacks
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline Minerva

• View Profile
Re: Amps in the News 6
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 05:16:33 PM »
I think that's lovely news! :)

I have two live 'children' ... having number one baby was a dream, but I lost number two baby because of an incredibly rare problem (even more rare than the condition I was born with & totally unconnected). When I was first expecting baby number three, my doctor told me that the due date was on or around the date I lost baby number two - I was gutted! :( But, in the end because I was bilateral and very active, baby number three arrived three weeks early ... just as well, as he was 9lb 15.5ozs!  :o

She may well be lucky and have early babies too (all mine were early because I had to work hard at walking). Most more importantly, I hope she'll be as blessed as I am - she deserves it! :)

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 09:58:25 PM »
Minerva,

Holy crap girlfriend, with you being so petite and having a baby almost 10 pounds...glad it was you and not me. ;)

Offline Minerva

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 07:14:02 AM »
Holy crap girlfriend, with you being so petite and having a baby almost 10 pounds...glad it was you and not me. ;)

Funny that - that's what everyone else said at the time!  :D

Yes, nearly 10 pounds and three weeks early. And, I was walking all the way through ... don't ask how ... ?

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 10:06:28 AM »
Sue, i just a guy, but it just goes to show what us amp's can do if needed and WOW WOW almost 10 lbs, have heard that since my brother was born at around that wieght, must be a big person by now, and i hope the he or she has your disposition and attitude.
you-all have a great day.

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 12:31:05 PM »
Martine:

Congrats on the new baby.  Let's hope little "Crumpet" arrives a few days early - - or late -- so that he/she has h/is/her own birthdate not associated with the disaster.

Yep.  We amps can do anything.  :)

Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline guzzitx

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 11:56:29 PM »
My turn to brag.
My Mom,
71 years young, was told she(diabetic, diagnosed while pregnant) would be pregnant a max of 2 times, and could expect 1 child to survive to adulthood. She was pregnant 8 times, and 5 sons are alive and kicking.
She was 19 when she married, was in her 3rd year of college as a med tech at the time. 
Yes, she graduated high school at 16.
A private religious school she was working to help pay for.
She has never weighed over 135 pounds, even during her 8th pregnancy.  ;)

She was pregnant 8 times(after marriage) in about as many years.
I know folks don't do that anymore.
I lacked for nothing as I grew up, and if you suggest I suffered,  I call bollocks.

Best of luck with the new baby.
They are all, indeed , special.
You see, I was an "at risk" baby.
And the 8th of 8 sons.
My baptismal certificate was issued "in periculo mortis"

Here I is, 42 years later.

All the best.
I have no regrets, glad Mom didn't, either.

Oh yeah, she'd never live past 50.
Yes, she is a tough old bird.  :D

Me and the other brothers:
http://media.putfile.com/Haven-Bros
A little ditty I put together for their anniversary a few years ago.

I'm the youngest of 5 in any of the pics.
Some of the haircuts might well qualify as child abuse.  8)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 01:19:03 AM by guzzitx »

Offline annieg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 11:28:37 AM »
Guzzitx,  Great video.  Your mother must have loved it.  We've all had haircuts we'd rather forget!  lol annieg
He who limps, still walks.

Offline guzzitx

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 01:09:23 AM »
Ann, check this one out.
http://media.putfile.com/haven-wedding-1957

They both got a kick out of the vids.
Mom was kinda hot, what did she see in a schlub like Dad? :D
51 years last year, it looks like it's gonna work out.

I got the editing a little better on this one.
It was a work in progress.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 01:13:44 AM by guzzitx »

Offline annieg

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 08:38:47 PM »
Guzzitx,  Thee video was fun.  Your mother was a beautiful bride with a great dress.  Your father wasn't so bad either!  He looked like Wally Cleaver - the Beav's brother.  I guess that tells you how old I must be!  Annieg
He who limps, still walks.